Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Kyle Palmieri - NOW OFFICIAL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
what's this 5 game look?

has it not always been 10 games?

its a 9 game look with the 10th game counting as a contract year. Which is really much less of a deal than many make it out to be as its not like its a year accrued for FA purposes (that's the 40 game mark). It just means his ELC expires one year earlier. Still same amount of team control.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
I think Zacha can step in right away with his size and skating and physicality

Sign Belesky
Sign St Louis

Cammalleri - Zajac - St Louis
Belesky - Henrique - Palmieri
Zacha - Josefson - Elias
Ruutu - Matteau - Tootoo

that would be cool with me for this season. (did I forget anyone?)

I absolutely would cringe with St. Louis on this team.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I kind of want him in Albany ASAP because I want our guys to start teaching him and instilling the good habits he needs to learn to complete his game. He is still really raw in certain areas.

Sarnia could do it, but I don't think he is so far away that he needs to stay long in juniors.

He should be at camp and get the 5 game look though. It will be really good for him and get him hungry.

Can he go to the AHL? He was taken out of the Juniors so i dont believe he can go to the NHL until he is 20 like all the other kids.

Its not like Matteau, who was drafted out of the US Development team then signed on to play in the OHL. That allowed him to play in the AHL.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Can he go to the AHL? He was taken out of the Juniors so i dont believe he can go to the NHL until he is 20 like all the other kids.

Its not like Matteau, who was drafted out of the US Development team then signed on to play in the OHL. That allowed him to play in the AHL.

Drafted out of the OHL.

Can't play in the AHL until he's 20 or has played 4 seasons in Juniors (aka he's already 20).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
what's this 5 game look?

has it not always been 10 games?

its a 9 game look with the 10th game counting as a contract year. Which is really much less of a deal than many make it out to be as its not like its a year accrued for FA purposes (that's the 40 game mark). It just means his ELC expires one year earlier. Still same amount of team control.

I thought the last lockout made it 5. It might still be 10.

The ELC is a bit of a deal. It is hurting us with Matteau because honestly it would be in his best interest to be waiver eligible for one more year.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I thought the last lockout made it 5. It might still be 10.

The ELC is a bit of a deal. It is hurting us with Matteau because honestly it would be in his best interest to be waiver eligible for one more year.

No, you're right. Its a 6 game limit now.

Not sure how waivers play a role here. Would have to pull up the CBA again for that. An ELC itself has no bearing on waiver eligibility, that's for sure.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Everyone went to bed? :laugh:

I don't know I am still trying to catch up.

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 1h1 hour ago
Neither Ducks nor Devils are officially announcing Kyle Palmieri trade until tomorrow. Reason? Winger is out of country. Not reachable now.

Ducks beat writer. This is why

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Neither Ducks nor Devils are officially announcing Kyle Palmieri trade until tomorrow. Reason? Winger is out of country. Not reachable now.

Ugh. Guess I'll have to go to bed sometime soon and not wait up for the official confirmation in that case.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

That works.

I still like this trade. Honestly don't see any reason not to like it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It is kind of funny that Shero's first trade is for a guy who can't even be reached to tell him he's been traded.:laugh:

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Just saw this. SO excited. He is perfect for what we need and a home town kid to boot. Love this deal.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
As per NHL CBA,

If a 18 or 19 year old player plays in 11+ games in the NHL.. his waiver eligibility is reduced from 5/4 years (respectively) to 3 years with that year counting as year 1.. and the next two years (regardless as to whether he plays in the NHL) as years 2 and 3.

That's why Matteau must pass waivers and that's what would apply to Zacha if he hits 11 games.

I still don't think its a big deal to keep him up past 5 games though. Even 11 shouldn't hurt too much here as he's not likely to ever see AHL time, especially 3 years from now. I imagine he will spend most of next year in Juniors and then the NHL the year after. It's not like he's going to be plugged in at 1C and expected to excel immediately even then.

IMO, more important.. especially with a guy like Zacha.. to keep him up in the NHL for as long as the coaches think is worthwhile for his development. They send him back to Juniors and he may very well be in good hands.. but they wouldn't be our own hands..

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As per NHL CBA,

If a 18 or 19 year old player plays in 11+ games in the NHL.. his waiver eligibility is reduced from 5/4 years (respectively) to 3 years with that year counting as year 1.. and the next two years (regardless as to whether he plays in the NHL) as years 2 and 3.

That's why Matteau must pass waivers and that's what would apply to Zacha if he hits 11 games.

I still don't think its a big deal to keep him up past 5 games though. Even 11 shouldn't hurt too much here as he's not likely to ever see AHL time, especially 3 years from now. I imagine he will spend most of next year in Juniors and then the NHL the year after. It's not like he's going to be plugged in at 1C and expected to excel immediately even then.

IMO, more important.. especially with a guy like Zacha.. to keep him up in the NHL for as long as the coaches think is worthwhile for his development. They send him back to Juniors and he may very well be in good hands.. but they wouldn't be our own hands..

I don't think it would hurt Zacha since he should be a regular well before then.

It did hurt Matteau and was a mistake. He needs another year in Albany IMO as he seems to just finally be finding his game.

Also we should move this to the Zacha thread if we want to continue this. Keep this about the Palmieri trade.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I don't think it would hurt Zacha since he should be a regular well before then.

It did hurt Matteau and was a mistake. He needs another year in Albany IMO as he seems to just finally be finding his game.

Also we should move this to the Zacha thread if we want to continue this. Keep this about the Palmieri trade.

Last post from me regarding this anyways..

do agree it hurt Matteau but I think given where our franchise is, he probably would have spent most of next year in the NHL regardless. We have room for him and its time to see what he has in the tank.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Ehh I think he just doesn't want the team to be a piece of **** next year. He knows we have Cory and a growing defense and is looking to find that extra goals to make us at least competitive.

Beleskey is a very good top 9 player who can also play top 6.. If he isnt getting more then 5 million, im fine with him

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Anyone else get the feeling that with this move + Beleskey Shero may be going for it this year ?

everything we've heard from him suggests otherwise

there's a difference between going for it and not icing a team that is competing for the 1st overall though.

i think he doesn't want to tank but I don't think any of his moves suggest so far that he's trying to go all-in or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad