Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I think it's funny how many people think Brodeur is better than Luongo.

The best response was the post "you probably haven't seen any of Luongo."

Wake up. Brodeur is an average goaltender at best. Luongo is better. The only reason no one wants Luongo is because of the contract. He's a good goaltender.

Sitting the bench because there's a better goalie on his team is just a dumb argument. No other way to say it. I guess Loktionov is better than Malkin. After all, Loktionov was our 1st line center last year and Malkin wasn't his team's best center.

There is no shame in saying Luongo is better than Marty. At this point in their careers, it would be pretty scary for Luongo if he weren't. It's the way it should be. People like to **** on Lou, but he's easily one of the best goalies to play the last 15 years. Especially early on. He had some very impressive seasons for some pretty lousy Florida teams.

People can make any argument for who is better or what not. What I think is messed up is this idea that Marty is straight up ass these days. It's selling him way short. Considering his age and the amount of mileage he has, Marty still plays at a pretty high level if you ask me.

apice3*

When Marty is on, he's still a top 10 goaltender in this league. He's just not on as often as he used to be.

He's probably in the upper portion of the 15-20 range at this point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are one Top 6 guy away from having Marty & Elias go out in glory with one more mug! Book it!

With Marty AND a happy fresh Schneider in net, we are a scary team.

I think this will fire Marty up too. Marty is going to get some friendly competition with the kid. Might push him to recapture a bit of the glory times. He definitely seemed a bit fired up with his comments and how Cory is going to have to fight him for time.

Different beast for Marty then normal when he always knew no matter what how many games he would have despite how he was doing. I think he will respond well to this new reality.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
We just got our goaltender of the future who happens to be one of the better goalies in the league, had a nice draft day, and signed or are close to doing so with most of our important UFAs and we are concerned with having a pissing match of Marty is better or Luongo is better

Who cares? Marty can still get the job done and thats all that matters

Luongo doesn't play for us and will, like most goalies that have ever suited up, never be able to hold Marty's jockstrap in regards to accomplishments

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
When Marty is on, he's still a top 10 goaltender in this league. He's just not on as often as he used to be.

He's closer to 20 right now. Great for a 42 year old, not so great for a team that was relying on him as their #1. He was great in the last 3 rounds of 2012 which was a nice surprise. But his regular season play over the last 2 or 3 seasons has been dramatically declining. I'll be extremely upset to see him go, but it's approaching quickly.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

That's exactly how I feel. When healthy and in a groove Marty is a top 10 goalie. However he's not healthy for long enough spans anymore, and it has not helped his consistency.

He put together close to 70 games of 920 goaltending from January 2012 to February 2013. That included playoffs too in which he outplayed the best goalie in the game in the biggest series of his career to this point, and where he outplayed most of the league goalies during the second half of 11-12.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We just got our goaltender of the future who happens to be one of the better goalies in the league, had a nice draft day, and signed or are close to doing so with most of our important UFAs and we are concerned with having a pissing match of Marty is better or Luongo is better

Who cares? Marty can still get the job done and thats all that matters

Luongo doesn't play for us and will, like most goalies that have ever suited up, never be able to hold Marty's jockstrap in regards to accomplishments

Exactly just silly. Marty can still do it and we just got someone who is going to make his workload a LOT easier and not to the determent to the team next year either.

You are right, add in that we have locked pretty much all the most important UFAs things are starting to look up for us. We should be enjoying this.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm actually worried that Marty might be not as serviceable if he plays a smaller amount of games. All throughout his career he has shown weaknesses when playing a smaller amount of games. Sometimes when he's playing less frequently he seems off. The rebounds start to get juicier, the reflexes get a little slower, the vision too. Think back to a lot of the Florida series last year. He had a week off, and was a little clunky the first few games until that game 7 when he woke up for good.

Just look at his performances earlier in seasons ever since the 04-05 lockout. He looks real rusty most of the time early in the season. Although he didn't this last year. That was either because he kept himself in really good shape during the lockout, or possibly because he had been in a groove practicing ever since September or October. Just with no actual game competition. The first half of 05-06 and even the first month or so of 07-08 I remember him struggling. He went on to win the Vezina that year though, and could have won the Hart Trophy too.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Marty's 25-30 starts a year will keep Schneider healthy and fresh for the playoffs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marty signs a one year deal - or even two - to return in that role.

Caustic

Feb 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Wake up. Brodeur is an average goaltender at best. Luongo is better. The only reason no one wants Luongo is because of the contract. He's a good goaltender.

I actually find Devils fans to be more reasonable than Vancouver fans when it comes to assessing their players, and I agree with you - Luongo is a better goalie than Brodeur is now. With that said, I'd take a prime Brodeur over a prime Luongo any day. They are both fantastic goalies, but Brodeur's ability to handle the puck is far, far superior.

You guys are going to LOVE Schneider. He isn't at all a flashy goalie, and doesn't showboat much making him seem not as good as he really is. But his positioning and quickness is fantastic. Like Luongo though, he's a terrible puckhandler. As long as he stays in the net and doesn't get too involved, you guys have found your replacement franchise goaltender - and at a very reasonable price as well.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Strombone ‏@strombone1 1m
Congrats to the @NHLDevils , can't think of a better person or player to replace a hall of famer!

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
To anyone worried about re-signing Schneider in 2 years: It's been my experience that he is a commitment type player... pretty unlikely to demand a crazy salary or jump ship for short term financial gain. He stayed true to Vancouver despite years of backing up Luongo, even after Lu signed his 12 year deal.

I think he'll re-sign long term with New Jersey.

I get why it happened, but I am really sad we traded him... great team guy and well liked by fans and players.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 41m

Canucks were not have offered a 1st, 2nd and a very high end prospect by the Oilers, but that is what Gillis asked for...#trustmysource

Looks like the canucks choose the best offer after all.

Looks like it's a win win

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

Well said. I think it all comes down to whether or not Marty is healthy and with Schneider being a more reliable backup/heir I like his chances of staying healthy. He'll get way more games (or at least more minutes :laugh:) than any backup Marty's ever had but those of you who think Marty's gonna be riding the pine next year are delusional.

Mory Schneideur*

This statement is dead on. He's 41 and still plays like a top 10 goalie more often than not if you ask me. Having Schneider might give him the motivation to be even better, 2 awesome goalies in a friendly competition working together. We are so lucky to have this.

Mory Schneideur*

Marty's 25-30 starts a year will keep Schneider healthy and fresh for the playoffs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marty signs a one year deal - or even two - to return in that role.

I can see Brodeur signing 1 year deals until he is in his mid 40s. At first a tandem and towards the end a back up. To have Brodeur back up Schneider even at age 44 or 45 is a blessing. The guys is an ageless wonder, he is not as slow or as bad as some people are over exaggerating. I see him and see a goalie who is technically better than he was in his 20s & 30s, only slightly not as sharp physically.

vannuckles

DieBettmanDie
Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C
Sweet pick up for you guys, he is a solid Tender. I am going to miss him in Van for sure. But it had to be done, and thanks for your first rounder. You guys just scored big time.

Did I mention how great of a "team player" he was?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's funny that no Vancouver fans have come here saying we got the sucky end of the deal, but some of the Rangers fans make out like we traded for some kind of backup.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's funny that no Vancouver fans have come here saying we got the sucky end of the deal, but some of the Rangers fans make out like we traded for some kind of backup.
We got a journeyman goaltender according to them. :help:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

its not as much funny as it is par for the course

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
To anyone worried about re-signing Schneider in 2 years: It's been my experience that he is a commitment type player... pretty unlikely to demand a crazy salary or jump ship for short term financial gain. He stayed true to Vancouver despite years of backing up Luongo, even after Lu signed his 12 year deal.

I think he'll re-sign long term with New Jersey.

I get why it happened, but I am really sad we traded him... great team guy and well liked by fans and players.

This. There should be zero concerns about Schneider walking after his contract is up. He's a great character guy who's extremely loyal and puts the team first. Would not be surprised to see him extended long term at an affordable price next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad