Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
The sample size is too small. Look at the last 3 seasons. Luongo >> Marty.

The sample size is too small, but you referenced the Olympics? Please, that's insanity.

crazypills.jpg

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Luonge best seasons were when he was with Florida but he has settle to be one of the better goalies in the league. After the age 37 season Brodeur dropped off dramatically.

His ability to stay healthy started to deteriorate after age 37. He hasn't played a completely healthy season since. In fact 09-10 was the only season in the last 5 years that he stayed healthy. He had multiple injuries in 10-11, had something for the first few weeks of 11-12, and then this past year. He was really good before getting injured this past year. Just compare his stats before injury to after he came back.

He was also very good for most of 11-12 including the playoffs. He had a poor first two months of 11-12 after coming back from injury, which gave him below average stats for 11-12. He was on pace to finish with a below 900 save percentage though going by the first two months when he was recovering from injury.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
He doesn't realize it, that's part of the problem of being hypocritical. If he realized how it sounded he wouldn't have said it.

It was suppose to come across as saying that Canada knew how good Luongo was even when Brodeur had his last Venezia year.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty was much better in the 12 SCF than Luongo was in the 11 SCF. Luongo even had 2 shutouts in the 11 SCF as opposed to Marty's 0. If not for those 2 shutouts Luongo had, he would have been even worse. I actually think Marty had a better 2012 playoffs than Luongo did 2011 playoffs altogether. While Marty's stats don't look too much better, Luongo's were helped by having quite a few shutouts.

That's not to say Luongo was bad in the 2011 playoffs either, because he did steal them quite a few games. He wasn't getting a lot of goal support in the SCF to help bail him out either. He was also let down pretty bad in the game he gave up 8 goals. It wasn't all his fault.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I did, and they both have lost a Stanley Cup final in the past 3 years but Marty was not pulled in favor of the backup twice.

Tie goes to Marty.

Don't even think it is close.

Luongo

2010-11...60 GP...38 W...928 SV%...2.11 GAA
2011-12...55 GP...31 W...919 SV%...2.41 GAA
2012-13...22 GP... 9 W....907 SV%...2.56 GAA

Brodeur

2010-11...56 GP...23 W...903 SV%...2.45 GAA
2011-12...59 GP...31 W...908 SV%...2.41 GAA
2012-13...29 GP...13 W...901 SV%...2.22 GAA

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The sample size is too small. Look at the last 3 seasons. Luongo >> Marty.

Prove whatever garbage you want to with statistics.

The better goalie is determined by who you want in net in game7 of the sc finals.

If anyone can answer "Luongo" to that, you are just insane.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Luongo is better than Marty now.

Right. That is why he usually spends a large percentage of the playoffs on the bench. Hilarious. I bet you guys saw like ten minutes of his play this whole year after watching 30 games of Marty.

The shots that went in against Luongo we're NOT good goals, and the guy got bombed for like 6 goals at a few points, no?

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Who cares who is better? Luongo has posted better stats over the past few seasons. Take it for what it is. We got Schneider. No need to worry about Luongo anymore.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Right. That is why he usually spends a large percentage of the playoffs on the bench. Hilarious. I bet you guys saw like ten minutes of his play this whole year after watching 30 games of Marty.

The shots that went in against Luongo we're NOT good goals, and the guy got bombed for like 6 goals at a few points, no?

they had Schneider, who is better than Luongo. so Luongo sitting means nothing to me.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ

In the playoffs, I'll take Marty under pressure way before I'd take Luongo under pressure.

In the regular season, I'll take Luongo for the consistency that Brodeur does not have right now. Luongo is more likely to put up a .915+ over the course of a regular season than Brodeur is right now.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In the playoffs, I'll take Marty under pressure way before I'd take Luongo under pressure.

In the regular season, I'll take Luongo for the consistency that Brodeur does not have right now. Luongo is more likely to put up a .915+ over the course of a regular season than Brodeur is right now.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it. Marty is still a pretty good goalie when healthy for long periods of time. Even the statistics tell you that if you look at splits. During times where he's been healthy he puts up way better than average numbers, like the last 5 or 6 months of 11-12 including playoffs, and the first month of last season before injury.

When he's injured or slowly recovering from injury though he doesn't even put up below average numbers, but far below average or even league worst numbers. Like for example the first couple months of 11-12, and the last month of this past season after returning from injury.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Yup and Marty's inconsistencies during the season have come from being injured and Marty trying to find a groove and this season not having anybody in front of him put the puck in the net

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yup and Marty's inconsistencies during the season have come from being injured and Marty trying to find a groove and this season not having anybody in front of him put the puck in the net

He was above average at even strength this year, but way below average shorthanded. Him, Moose, and Carey Price were like the 3 worst. In fact I'm pretty sure the difference between Marty and Moose shorthanded was like .001 percent. I think Marty had an 813 shorthanded save percentage, while Moose had an 812. At even strength Moose was a dreadful 901, and Marty was like a 919 I think.

When both goalies have an identical shorthanded save percentage but one has a much better even strength, it tells me the penalty killing is more at fault and more to blame on this one. The penalty killing was at times very embarrassing this season compared to last. It was a continuation of the 2012 playoffs. The shorthanded goal scoring made up for it a little bit though. We would have by far been the lowest scoring team in the league if not for all those shorties.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I wish save % would get thrown out of hockey. I seriously hate that ****ing stat with a passion. Yeah, the % of shots a goalie stops is a pretty big deal, I get it, but it's absolutely infuriating to solely judge a goalie based on that alone. It seems like that is all that matters anymore since statistics have become more popular in hockey through the years. Hockey isn't some exact science. Save % isn't all that matters and this vacuum way of thinking drives me nuts.

You look at the Devils last year and they did a tremendous job of limiting shots. Puck possession is their game and when they're playing well they spend tons of time with the puck. So considering this, is CS going to pitch a shutout every game he plays next season? I mean how will any team ever score on this kid? I think its a pretty safe bet that his save % will be coming down a little bit. Assuming NJ plays the same way, he'll face less shots and he's going to get scored on regardless. Does this mean he'll be playing worse? Whatever save % says I guess.

It's just pretty frustrating reading how Brodeur has been trash the last 3 years. If you actually watch the games, I just can't see how that can be said. Judging him for an injury riddled 10 - 11 on a cap hell team coached by an idiot, well what exactly else can you expect considering the circumstances? 11 - 12 had a few rough spots early, but Marty was very good for NJ from December on that year. There were quite a few vintage performances in there once he adapted to more of a blocking style. As for last year, his not being around was a huge blow to this team no matter how low his save % my have been. Things hit rock bottom when Hedberg took over for a team that was playing like hot garbage. He's not the Marty of old, but he hasn't been a terrible goalie either the way some make him out to be.

Dude is old and he has a harder time staying healthy. THAT is his biggest flaw these days. When he's healthy, he still has some game.

Mory Schneideur*

Am I the only one that thinks the Brodeur we have now, at age 41 is better and smarter than the late 30s Brodeur we had around 2009-2010? I was legit scared he was declining and done, then he bounced back, basically delivered us to within 2 wins of a cup & dare I say he looked great this last season too? It's not Marty's fault out team pooped the bed and couldn't score against a pee wee team.

Schneider & a 41 yr old Brodeur >>> Schneider & Loungo

Just the mental relief alone of not dealing with the circus back in Vancouver and our winning pedigree, not to mention playing with Marty and carrying his torch as he goes like a champ... All that together makes this team a cup winner.

I have a feeling Lou will pull out all the stops, get one last cup for Marty this year and then we have a whole new exciting era with Schneider, a legit Top 5 if not top 3 goalie (along with Lundqvist & Quick).

We are one piece away from being miles better than 2012, with the same core. This year will be magical.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wish save % would get thrown out of hockey. I seriously hate that ****ing stat with a passion. Yeah, the % of shots a goalie stops is a pretty big deal, I get it, but it's absolutely infuriating to solely judge a goalie based on that alone. It seems like that is all that matters anymore since statistics have become more popular in hockey through the years. Hockey isn't some exact science. Save % isn't all that matters and this vacuum way of thinking drives me nuts.

You look at the Devils last year and they did a tremendous job of limiting shots. Puck possession is their game and when they're playing well they spend tons of time with the puck. So considering this, is CS going to pitch a shutout every game he plays next season? I mean how will any team ever score on this kid? I think its a pretty safe bet that his save % will be coming down a little bit. Assuming NJ plays the same way, he'll face less shots and he's going to get scored on regardless. Does this mean he'll be playing worse? Whatever save % says I guess.

It's just pretty frustrating reading how Brodeur has been trash the last 3 years. If you actually watch the games, I just can't see how that can be said. Judging him for an injury riddled 10 - 11 on a cap hell team coached by an idiot, well what exactly else can you expect considering the circumstances? 11 - 12 had a few rough spots early, but Marty was very good for NJ from December on that year. There were quite a few vintage performances in there once he adapted to more of a blocking style. As for last year, his not being around was a huge blow to this team no matter how low his save % my have been. Things hit rock bottom when Hedberg took over for a team that was playing like hot garbage. He's not the Marty of old, but he hasn't been a terrible goalie either the way some make him out to be.

Dude is old and he has a harder time staying healthy. THAT is his biggest flaw these days. When he's healthy, he still has some game.
I agree, and that's why I say he's still pretty good when healthy for long stretched. Look up his split stats, his save percentage during times he's healthy also reflects that. His even strength save percentage was good this year, but the teams joke of a penalty kill let him down often. Guys constantly out of position, too many lost faceoffs, inability to clear the zone, etc.

Also when you're facing such a low value of shots it leads to less margin for error. The difference between giving up 1 goal on 18 shots, and 2 goals on 18 shots is a 945 and 889 save percentage.

The years Marty faced more shots like in 06-07 and 07-08, he had the best save percentages of his career. I think if he faced more shots last year his save percentage would have been higher.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Am I the only one that thinks the Brodeur we have now, at age 41 is better and smarter than the late 30s Brodeur we had around 2009-2010? I was legit scared he was declining and done, then he bounced back, basically delivered us to within 2 wins of a cup & dare I say he looked great this last season too? It's not Marty's fault out team pooped the bed and couldn't score against a pee wee team.

Schneider & a 41 yr old Brodeur >>> Schneider & Loungo

Just the mental relief alone of not dealing with the circus back in Vancouver and our winning pedigree, not to mention playing with Marty and carrying his torch as he goes like a champ... All that together makes this team a cup winner.

I have a feeling Lou will pull out all the stops, get one last cup for Marty this year and then we have a whole new exciting era with Schneider, a legit Top 5 if not top 3 goalie (along with Lundqvist & Quick).

We are one piece away from being miles better than 2012, with the same core. This year will be magical.

Just a hunch from various things, but with this trade and some comments I am starting to get the feeling Lou is serious about getting Marty his last cup. If that is the case im all aboard.

Mory Schneideur*

Just a hunch from various things, but with this trade and some comments I am starting to get the feeling Lou is serious about getting Marty his last cup. If that is the case im all aboard.

We are one Top 6 guy away from having Marty & Elias go out in glory with one more mug! Book it!

With Marty AND a happy fresh Schneider in net, we are a scary team.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I remember years ago Marty would give up a lot of bad angle goals from the short side. Ironically he had the best save percentage in the league that year, and won the Vezina but the amount of bad angle goals that year or two were much higher than in the last two years. He rarely gives up goals like that anymore.

He's prone to the clean point shot goal occasionally, but honestly that's not cause he's old or declining. That's more to do with the fact that he plays stand up on those shots. He's always been prone to those shots. I remember him giving up a couple goals like that way back in the 95 playoffs. Even the series winner when we lost to the Flyers in 04 was a long point shot with no screen or deflection if anyone remembers, just like the one in 09 against Carolina.

His biggest problem now is definitely rebound control, and recovery time. Especially after this last injury his recovery time was really really slow.

apice3*

I think it's funny how many people think Brodeur is better than Luongo.

The best response was the post "you probably haven't seen any of Luongo."

Wake up. Brodeur is an average goaltender at best. Luongo is better. The only reason no one wants Luongo is because of the contract. He's a good goaltender.

Sitting the bench because there's a better goalie on his team is just a dumb argument. No other way to say it. I guess Loktionov is better than Malkin. After all, Loktionov was our 1st line center last year and Malkin wasn't his team's best center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad