Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I feel bad. I know it was important for him to have a NTC on his last contract because he wanted to buy a house in NJ and have his family close by. I doubt he will agree to go anywhere outside the division.

I love Moose.
That said, he's also over 40. It's not like he had a long future ahead of him here as a goalie.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
woke up this morning even more devastated by this trade from a vancouver standpoint.

we have a few very astute and intelligent radio personalities and they are running in circles trying to justify this trade.. they just can't do it.

our fan base calling in is outright calling for GMMG's head.

like i've said before, last season when he went on that 4 goals in 5 game stretch, he was the best goalie i've seen play since roy/bro in their prime in terms of mechanics/speed/agility.

i LOVE luongo and have always had this thing against schenider due to him threatening Lu, but it didn't take long for me to realize this kid is a STUD and will be a Vezina candidate every year for the next 5 years +.

it may sound like i'm exaggerating, but by the end of next season there will be no disputing this kid.

Thank you for sharing this. I know it's not easy but hopefully for your team your picks will pan out and now Lou can get settled back into knowing he's the man.

B A T M A N

Now that the dust has settled for almost 24 years, this may go down as one of our biggest trades in history.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I have no clue how any Devils fan does not like this! We robbed Vancouver and got ourselves an absolute stud!

It's true that any time you get a proven NHL player for a draft pick it's a steal. I just think that between Kinkaid and Wedgewood one of the two will pan out and Nichushkin could have had an immediate impact at the NHL level. In my mind the trade doesn't make sense for either team. Although I think it makes a lot less sense for the 'Nucks.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Now that the dust has settled for almost 24 years, this may go down as one of our biggest trades in history.

Most definitely and not just because of the trade itself. Almost two weeks nothing but bad news about the the teams finacial outlook was leaking, true or not. Fans were worried we wouldn't even resign our big UFAs. Big move to secure the future in net, make a splash with the fan base and show that the team is still very active and looking to win.

Basalt13

Sep 2, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Any chance that Brodeur decides to retire? Now that there is a clear #1 goalie on the team? That way Hedberg can still be back-up. I just think Brodeur was hanging on cause he felt bad for the Devils since they had noone else.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I wonder if Lou has chased down who leaked the trade before it was actually announced...

traded_zps6001d24a.png~original

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Any chance that Brodeur decides to retire? Now that there is a clear #1 goalie on the team? That way Hedberg can still be back-up. I just think Brodeur was hanging on cause he felt bad for the Devils since they had noone else.

not a chance.

Marty is still an average NHL goalie. Hedberg was literally the worst goalie in the league last year.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007

Marty will play one more year, at the very least.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Still don't know how we got a potential top 5 goalie for a measly 9th overall pick, and nothing else. Depending on how Schneids adaps to his new home, this trade might go down as being as big or a bigger heist than Kovy.

It took a first, a good prospect, an okay defenseman, and a lesser prospect to get 2-4 months of a rental Kovy on an expiring contract. We're getting at least 2 years of a guy who's probably at least a top 10 goalie for just the first straight up. I think we'll make a point to lock him up early too. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given an extension before the start of 14-15.

The way I am thinking about it now is look how the goalie situations in the Atlantic alone.

It is a mess in Pitt, and it has clearly hurt that team. All the issues in goal for the Islanders, the mess in Philly. Then look at teams with amazing excellent goaltending and how that changes there fortunes too. Boston is a better team because Rask is a stud, LA too.

Hell considering how little offense the Rags have see what Lunds does for them. Then just look around the league and see how hard it is to live off fill ins. This trade was a very big deal.

Not to worried about re-upping him. Lou has made comments it is a priority the moment we are allowed. He will know he is the number 1 guy here at that point and he will have a team in front of him. Not really that worried.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The way I am thinking about it now is look how the goalie situations in the Atlantic alone.

It is a mess in Pitt, and it has clearly hurt that team. All the issues in goal for the Islanders, the mess in Philly. Then look at teams with amazing excellent goaltending and how that changes there fortunes too. Boston is a better team because Rask is a stud, LA too.

Hell considering how little offense the Rags have see what Lunds does for them. Then just look around the league and see how hard it is to live off fill ins. This trade was a very big deal.

Not to worried about re-upping him. Lou has made comments it is a priority the moment we are allowed. He will know he is the number 1 guy here at that point and he will have a team in front of him. Not really that worried.
This is exactly why I maintain he's likely number 2 in the division behind Lundqvist right now. I also have a feeling he'll be better than who the Isles and Flyers put in this year too. I think Schneider is probably better than Miller at this point if they happen to trade for him. You can argue Wardo is better, but I really do not think so. I feel he's massively overrated by some, but he also has the misfortune of playing for a bad team that would probably get top 3 picks every year without him.

I don't think anyone is gonna take that piece of crap Steve Mason, or old man Nabby over Schneider. Holtby looks like he'll be pretty nice, but still young and relatively new on the scene. Let's see what Bob looks like after next year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 13s
Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left.

They want to get this started ASAP

not to be a dick, but its chere…what is he basing this on? its probably speculation unless someone has a quote from lou?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

I was just questioning if he is willing to back up Schneider, cause there is no way imo, that Schneider doesn't get 50+ games next year.

so Marty felt bad for the team and signed the two year contract out of pity right after going to the Stanley Cup final?

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
Haha I just said the same thing! Wouldn't be surprised to see him extended before the 14-15 season starts. I'm actually at the point of hoping the Rangers keep Lundqvist, and Pittsburgh finds someone cause he will be in HUGE demand if he ever hit the market.

He's from Massachusetts, and luckily Rask will likely be the man there for years to come. :laugh:

I think he'll eventually extend his contract and stay here. Too many positives for him not to: Closest he'll be to home without actually being in Boston(only 45 minute flight there, Rangers set in goal); less travel playing in the Eastern Conference; a good defensive system that's goalie friendly; and less media interference in NJ vs. NY/BOS/PIT/VAN etc.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
not to be a dick, but its chere…what is he basing this on? its probably speculation unless someone has a quote from lou?

Lou said it himself, according to TG.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 6m
One more from Lamoriello. Said he doesn't think team or Schneider are thinking he'll be in NJ for just two years (what's left on contract).

Apparently Lou talked to Schneider right after the trade went down. So I guess they must have already touched on his future with the organization and their ultimate plan for him already.

apice3*

If both guys are healthy, I'd be willing to bet Brodeur gets more starts than Schnieder. Schnieder still hasn't started 100 games in his career. He hasn't been a clear cut #1 anywhere, although I believe he would be if given the chance. He'll get that chance next year.

If Brodeur returns next season, that's when he starts giving up his starting job, IMO.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If both guys are healthy, I'd be willing to bet Brodeur gets more starts than Schnieder. Schnieder still hasn't started 100 games in his career. He hasn't been a clear cut #1 anywhere, although I believe he would be if given the chance. He'll get that chance next year.

If Brodeur returns next season, that's when he starts giving up his starting job, IMO.

I think the split is going to be a lot different then what Marty is used to and closer to 50%. Marty would of course get the playoff starts unless something happens.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Lou said it himself, according to TG.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 6m
One more from Lamoriello. Said he doesn't think team or Schneider are thinking he'll be in NJ for just two years (what's left on contract).

Apparently Lou talked to Schneider right after the trade went down. So I guess they must have already touched on his future with the organization and their ultimate plan for him already.

And Schneider sounds relieved to have the situation over and know where he'll be for the future. It would also put him close enough to home that his family could go see him play whenever they want. He'll be coming to a team with great D depth and an organization that is accustomed to amazing plays in net. It's a great fit for Schneids and I totally can see why he'd want to sign in NJ long term. As Lou said, the timing of all of this is just perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad