Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
People concerned about him re-signing in 2 years. 1 thing to keep in mind is Lou (at least i think so) has a different mind set when it comes to goalies. I believe we will see this kid sign and extension next off season.

He is going to come here work with Marty who will have nothing but great things to say about this team. Plus he is out of the spot light. He can go to the mall or out without 100 people bothering him. Sometimes that can be huge especially for someone coming out of the situation he was in in Vancouver.

Hope i am right, this was a great move. Kovy must be very happy also with this.

Edit: Also anyone find it funny that his old head coach is now the new head coach of the Rangers. Weird how that all turned out.

apice3*

Are we really worrying about what happens in the 2015-16 season?

The only thing that sucks is missing out on Nichushkin, but who's to say Lou even wanted him? I'd rather have Schnieder than Horvat.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Are we really worrying about what happens in the 2015-16 season?

The only thing that sucks is missing out on Nichushkin, but who's to say Lou even wanted him? I'd rather have Schnieder than Horvat.

I am hardly worried (also dont know if you are talking about me) but its something people have brought up as a negative to the deal. I dont think its as big of an issue as others do.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
hedberg is one of the most respected men in pro sports. lou is one of the most loyal men in pro sports. those two facts don't suggest that lous is just gonna toss him aside. somehow lou will make sure hedberg is where he wants to be and his family is taken care of

I predict a scouting or goalie coach position that pays every bit of the lost salary from the buyout that he would have been paid and then some. Non-cap related finances are how you make it up to him and his family. Maybe AHL goalie coach?

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think anyone doubts the value. We got a great deal...it just isn't going to improve scoring on a team 28th in scoring. On top of that we are possibly losing 2 of our 3 top scorers to free agancy.

My concern is it doesn't make an immediate impact on a non-playoff team and we don't have a pick for next year.

Also the fact that he's UFA in 2 years and we haven't had much luck resigning our players lately. And outside of Kovalchuk, we don't normally get a huge impact from signing free agents.

Disagree... give Schneider all of Moose's starts from last season (never mind if he would have played more than Moose before Marty went down) and they are in the playoffs.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Was at the draft, and couldn't really post yesterday...

This is among the best deals Lou could ever do. We get a proven NHL goalie who hopefully will be here for a quite a few years for a complete unknown that would take years to develop.

Great, great move. Very excited about this.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I think you guys got a really good deal.
Marty is not going to be around forever and a guy like Cory might just be good goalie to have around once Marty leaves.
Best of luck with him. I wish we had him

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Interesting to see that this deal was done Saturday night. Meaning no matter who might've fallen to the #9 slot, Lou had already committed to Schneider.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Just watched the video of Lou talking to the press.

TG: "was this deal done last night?"
Lou: "I don't even know what that means"

:laugh:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
They better make the playoffs now. Can't end up with a good pick and have to lose it.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
This is one of Lou's deals that reminds us why he is one of the BEST GMs in sports. Yeah we lost Parise, yeah we sign 3rd liners, yeah we have more defensemen than we know what to do with, but this is one of those deals that really shows why he has the team in position to compete almost every year.

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
They better make the playoffs now. Can't end up with a good pick and have to lose it.

It seems like Bettman has loosened up a bit on the devils hate...perhaps they can work something out where we don't lose our first next year considering its not in his best interest for the devils to lose potential revenue from a solid first rounder helping with making the playoffs....since we're not at the point that we make good money on a non-playoff season like Montreal and Toronto can.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
I don't know about the rest of you but man, I feel really rejuvenated as a fan after today. It's been a pretty horrific 12 months for us. Losing in the finals, the Parise mess, all the losing streaks and injuries during a miserable lockout shortened season that led us to miss the playoffs, and then the rumors of more financial issues. I've been as critical as anybody of the way Lou's done things lately but he really came through today. This whole day really put me in a much more positive mood regarding the future. Just the draft being at our arena was great stuff and the crowd sounded great on T.V, then the Schneider trade, I'm coming around to the 2nd round pick and think he can be solid down the line, and Marty calling his son's name to be a part of the organization to cap it all off was amazing. I'm anticipating some good stuff later this week in free agency and then we'd really be in business. Today was just a solid day for the whole organization.

I agree with you. Today was a solid day as a devil fan. I see you are from Chicago ? Same here gets kinda crazy with all the Blackhawks talk around here but this trade has shifted all the attention to us. For the people who are questioning the trade don't. We picked up a goaltender who is elite I would venture to say on the same level as rask for a 9 overall who may or may not be a factor in the NHL. This moves signifies that the Devils are here to win now. I'm sure all the UfA see it that way too. This move also in my mind signifies that Lou will be very active come FA. Buckle up guys it's going to be a great year.

If either of you guys wanna grab a beer sometime after work or something (since it'll be a while until there's Devils hockey to watch), let me know. I just moved to Chicago from Jersey City last week. Living in the loop right now, moving to west loop.

As for Schneider, not gonna lie, there was an initial disappointment. Just because I was pumped over the thought of a top offensive prospect. But, after thinking about it, this immediately improves our team into playoff contention. And if Lou can get a top 6 winger via UFA (Horton?) then I really like the team for next season. We're helped both immediately, and the goalie of the future questions are answered (provided we re-sign Cory). A jump from ~.900 sv%'s to .920+ is huge, and hopefully Marty will be back to form while handling less of a work load this season.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Interesting to see that this deal was done Saturday night. Meaning no matter who might've fallen to the #9 slot, Lou had already committed to Schneider.

im 100% sure the deal was dependant on Mac/Drouin/Jones not falling to 9 somehow

day1devilsfan

Jul 19, 2011
Interwebz of PA
I also think Lou has a place for Moose... Buffalo might be a good fit especially if Miller bolts. Still in the NE (fair to Moose) and gives Enroth a veteran backup

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I also think Lou has a place for Moose... Buffalo might be a good fit especially if Miller bolts. Still in the NE (fair to Moose) and gives Enroth a veteran backup
I don't think Lou does have a plan. I suspect Lou went to Moose yesterday and asked him what he wanted, and he'll work from there.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I like the aggressiveness of this trade.
It opens up a lot of question marks about the future of Moose/Kinkaid/Wedgewood and how much NHL time any of them will see, but that's not the big picture here.

This was a big push. If Lou's gunning for it this summer, this is a good way to let potential FAs know.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
By the words coming out of Schnieder's mouth I feel confident resigning him won't be a problem. Such a great trade for us, I'm still stunned how many Devil fans were aghast by it yesterday, I hope it was more because they were looking forward to seeing a draft pick selected than anything else.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Disagree... give Schneider all of Moose's starts from last season (never mind if he would have played more than Moose before Marty went down) and they are in the playoffs.

I agree. Some of those games were really close. A better goalie would have made a difference. Also with a better goalie our guys might have had more confidence scoring goals.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm still stunned how many Devil fans were aghast by it yesterday, I hope it was more because they were looking forward to seeing a draft pick selected than anything else.

for me, thats exactly what it was. im over it

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
I agree. Some of those games were really close. A better goalie would have made a difference. Also with a better goalie our guys might have had more confidence scoring goals.

Yeah that stretch with moose starting was bad...he sounds like a great guy but lack of confidence tends to spread through a team like cancer...dunno if moose is gonna hang em up but if he doesn't he would do MUCH better backing up a younger goalie like rask who isn't gonna get shelved for double digit games due to injury...either way the confidence of this team shot WAY up after this trade.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I like the deal and I'm not saying that because I'm a Devils fan. We got the best player in the deal and he's ready now, not 2 years away.

We all saw the two losing streaks that killed our season, yes we need more scoring as well. Not blaming Marty or Moose entirely. However, they're both injury prone and up there in years. Lou just needs to get the kid signed long-term.

I also like replacing our 3rd. Don't know musch about our 2nd or 3rd. But I'm happy how Lou handled things. Good job. :handclap:

Now, depending on who we lose via UFA, I see Lou going after Weiss.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I was pretty stunned I had no idea how to react yesterday. After Bettman announced it stood up with my arms up like what the ****, but in a good way if that makes any sense.

Probably looked like an idiot in the arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad