Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilChuk*

That would be nice, good for him. How do you see the battle for starting position shaking out?

Tandem next year, Schneider probably getting 55%-60% of games.

Meanwhile, Rangers board is doing their usual "Let's just talk about how the Devils" in their FA thread.. actually kind of funny seeing them reason that we got worse today :laugh:

Somehow, today's trade took us from a bottom 5 team to a bottom 10 team.. even though we were already the 9th worst team in the NHL this past season at worst :laugh: some posters over there are absolutely brilliant..

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You guys killed it today. You got Schneider who I've seen firsthand is a great young goalie, and still had a tremendous draft despite moving pick #9.

I just had a question, what's your goalie situation looking like now? Capgeek has you guys with Brodeur, Schneider and Hedberg (Marty and Johan on 35+ deals) all under contract, what's likely going to happen?

Ya Hedberg is the odd man out. Whether he waives his NTC and we trade him, buy him out, or he retires remains to be seen.

Situation will be Marty will start day 1, and him and Cory will battle for the majority of time. If Marty comes back for another year he would most likely back up Cory at that point then the role is 100% Cory's if he still wants it.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Tandem next year, Schneider probably getting 55%-60% of games.

Meanwhile, Rangers board is doing their usual "Let's just talk about how the Devils" in their FA thread.. actually kind of funny seeing them reason that we got worse today :laugh:

Somehow, today's trade took us from a bottom 5 team to a bottom 10 team.. even though we were already the 9th worst team in the NHL this past season at worst :laugh: some posters over there are absolutely brilliant..

Idk who you would have picked at number 9, but essentially drafting Schneider at the 9 spot is a massive steal. He's an outstanding goalie, and is only going to get better. He was one of the reasons I still feared Vancouver in the west, he's a stud. You guys are lucky, when Marty retires you're already going to have a perfect replacement in-house; it'll be a smooth transition.

You certainly didn't get worse :laugh: On top of moving your 9th you still managed to grab Santini, Kujawinski and Bell. Don't listen to Rags fans :laugh:

DevilChuk*

Idk who you would have picked at number 9, but essentially drafting Schneider at the 9 spot is a massive steal. He's an outstanding goalie, and is only going to get better. He was one of the reasons I still feared Vancouver in the west, he's a stud. You guys are lucky, when Marty retires you're already going to have a perfect replacement in-house; it'll be a smooth transition.

You certainly didn't get worse :laugh: On top of moving your 9th you still managed to grab Santini, Kujawinski and Bell. Don't listen to Rags fans :laugh:

It's too fun NOT to listen :laugh: Especially to the few who almost exclusively post about the Devils while simultaneously claiming that all Devil fans are obsessed with the Rangers

Every Rangers fan I know that I spoke to today echoed similar sentiments. Great trade for the future of the franchise though it doesn't solve our offensive woes.

Funny thing is Schneider actually put up a slightly higher SV% than Lundqvist this past year, albiet in only 30 games vs. 43.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Another Nucks fan coming here saying congrats for getting yourself a great young, potentially franchise-level goaltender. I sincerely hope we won't be meeting one another at the SCF any time soon since that'd be the worst case scenario for the Nucks I'd feel.. for me and I'm sure many other Canucks fans, getting Schneids out of our conference was the biggest necessity for any trade like this so all talk about Edmonton's deal being "better" is meaningless.

How things unraveled today, I hope all the best for both players and teams involved, couldn't say the same after a VAN-EDM trade, so it's all good.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The other thing between Schneider vs Lundqvist is that Rangers block a ton of shots and collasp the net which really helps the goalie, Vancouver plays a more open game, our D jumps in and sometimes makes for breakaways, Canucks don't really play a friendly game for goalies so the numbers Schneoder and Luongo have put up in Van are amazing, and this is why they also have some blow outs, we don't block shots or collasp the net and play the 6th goalie.

And the Rangers new coach has said many times that Schneider is one of the best goalies in the league ;)

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I don't know about the rest of you but man, I feel really rejuvenated as a fan after today. It's been a pretty horrific 12 months for us. Losing in the finals, the Parise mess, all the losing streaks and injuries during a miserable lockout shortened season that led us to miss the playoffs, and then the rumors of more financial issues. I've been as critical as anybody of the way Lou's done things lately but he really came through today. This whole day really put me in a much more positive mood regarding the future. Just the draft being at our arena was great stuff and the crowd sounded great on T.V, then the Schneider trade, I'm coming around to the 2nd round pick and think he can be solid down the line, and Marty calling his son's name to be a part of the organization to cap it all off was amazing. I'm anticipating some good stuff later this week in free agency and then we'd really be in business. Today was just a solid day for the whole organization.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't know about the rest of you but man, I feel really rejuvenated as a fan after today. It's been a pretty horrific 12 months for us. Losing in the finals, the Parise mess, all the losing streaks and injuries during a miserable lockout shortened season that led us to miss the playoffs, and then the rumors of more financial issues. I've been as critical as anybody of the way Lou's done things lately but he really came through today. This whole day really put me in a much more positive mood regarding the future. Just the draft being at our arena was great stuff and the crowd sounded great on T.V, then the Schneider trade, I'm coming around to the 2nd round pick and think he can be solid down the line, and Marty calling his son's name to be a part of the organization to cap it all off was amazing. I'm anticipating some good stuff later this week in free agency and then we'd really be in business. Today was just a solid day for the whole organization.

I agree with you. Today was a solid day as a devil fan. I see you are from Chicago ? Same here gets kinda crazy with all the Blackhawks talk around here but this trade has shifted all the attention to us. For the people who are questioning the trade don't. We picked up a goaltender who is elite I would venture to say on the same level as rask for a 9 overall who may or may not be a factor in the NHL. This moves signifies that the Devils are here to win now. I'm sure all the UfA see it that way too. This move also in my mind signifies that Lou will be very active come FA. Buckle up guys it's going to be a great year.

kiwidevil

For those saying he is "un-proven". Only 40 less games than Rask, I don't think many would say Rask is un-proven.

Schneider
NHL TOTALS 98 55 26 0 8 9 197 2,715 .927 2.20 5,372

Rask
NHL TOTALS 138 66 45 0 16 16 279 3,811 .927 2.15 7,794

And one has played with the Bruins with a great defense and a defensive system. (most of the time)

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Well... don't know.

If we can find a way to extend Cory after the next two years, then I'm fine with the deal. We still payed a steep price, I hate when people act like a top-ten pick is worth nothing. These picks have great value. But still, considering Cory is a very good talent and still got upside I'd consider the deal as fair.

On the other hand, if Cory leaves as a UFA, then we better be ready to be a lottery team in the future cause we will be completly depleted. Especially considering we have to cancel next year first round pick which will make our already very concerning situation with prospects even look worse. Our offensive prospect system is completly depleted right now. And we didn't help for sure in this regard with this deal.

Bottom line, I'm fine with the deal if we can somehow extend Cory. If not, then we just made another step to the lottery picks for the future.

kiwidevil

You do know it is legal for us to move our D prospects in trades for forwards don't you?

Yeah . . trades, they do those now.

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
Schneider is the real deal

I'm a huge Luongo supporter but I love Cory Schneider. He will win you guys a ton of games.The Canucks defense is terrible and Cory made them look great

The Devils are now my second favorite team

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
The other thing the Cory trade has done for us is made us much more attractive as a free agent destination...a young stud goalie coupled with the showing that we saw with Marty drafting his son himself shows that we ARE more of a family than 90% of the teams out there...Elias will be treated just as well if he remains a career devil. See what you missed zach?

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
You do know it is legal for us to move our D prospects in trades for forwards don't you?

Yeah . . trades, they do those now.

You do know that we will need way more than a couple deals if we want to restore a normal forward prospect group considering is it completly depleted now ?

Having depth at defensive is fine, but will not solve everything just by miracle. If Schneider leaves via UFA, we are in a serious danger to be a lottery team in the future.

kiwidevil

So say we draft Horvat/Domi, does that make it all different and we are fine for the future?

We traded 1 pick for him.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I agree with you. Today was a solid day as a devil fan. I see you are from Chicago ? Same here gets kinda crazy with all the Blackhawks talk around here but this trade has shifted all the attention to us. For the people who are questioning the trade don't. We picked up a goaltender who is elite I would venture to say on the same level as rask for a 9 overall who may or may not be a factor in the NHL. This moves signifies that the Devils are here to win now. I'm sure all the UfA see it that way too. This move also in my mind signifies that Lou will be very active come FA. Buckle up guys it's going to be a great year.

Yea it's bandwagon central out here. I tried to lay low during the playoffs and not try to start crap since a lot of their fans annoy me pretty well. Not gonna lie though, I was pretty jealous of that parade at Grant Park. Place was insane. I'll gladly fly back to Jersey to be a part of something similar next year... hopefully

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007

I kind of feel the same way. This is a huge positive for the organization and the fans. The last 3 years have been tough, with a loss in the finals and two missed post-seasons, but this brings hope for next season and the post-Marty era.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Pretty dang happy about the trade. Congrats to both teams. Glad Cory is finally going to get to play as a true #1 (once Brodeur is gone) and glad Luongo can finally focus on the task at hand without feeling like he's being replaced or getting shipped out of town next week.

Many Canucks fans are bummed right now because they thought we would be going forward with Cory, but lets face it -- it's a win-win situation for both teams.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The funniest thing about this is that every Canucks fan that comes in here talks about how much of beast this guy is and how he could win a vezina here and then I took a gander at the Rangers board and there's people saying we overpaid for backup goalie. LOL classic.

Many of them just can't bring themselves to say the Devils made a good move.

Well they won't be calling him a back up after the year, Schneider is on Rask and Quicks level.

That's great to hear.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
So say we draft Horvat/Domi, does that make it all different and we are fine for the future?

We traded 1 pick for him.

I didn't say that.

But we're talking about a top-ten pick. The kind of pick that brings you a real talent to help building your franchise. Again, if Cory stays I'm fine with the deal. But if he goes, then all we will have done here is another step back to the organisation.

That's all I'm saying. No need to be a jerk here.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
That would be nice, good for him. How do you see the battle for starting position shaking out?

It's Martys job until he struggles a bit.

If he struggles and Cory comes in and gets hot he has the chance to grab it and never look back.

Marty in his interviews was very realistic and knows this will be Cory's team very soon...but for this yr he's gonna make the kid work for it or atleast attempt to.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=53&id=261749&lang=en&navid=nhl:topheads

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad