Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly, the only derogatory thing I can potentially say about this trade is that maybe we took our shot too early. I think that there is a legitimate case that can be made that Johnsson isn't worth 3.4 x 3 in this environment if he's not a 50 point guy. That being said, he could absolutely be a 50 point guy for us lol. So I don't think that is a question we can answer right here and now. But if a guy like Kahun signs for 2 x 2 or something, can see how how people would waffle on this trade just a bit.

I hope you're correct, and of course I am pulling for Johnsson to succeed in New Jersey. But that being said, he played a great deal with guys like Tavares and Marner over the past two seasons and totaled just over 60 points in almost 120 games. So I think we need to be reasonable in our expectations. I would be thrilled with 20-20-40 out of Johnsson.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I hope you're correct, and of course I am pulling for Johnsson to succeed in New Jersey. But that being said, he played a great deal with guys like Tavares and Marner over the past two seasons and totaled just over 60 points in almost 120 games. So I think we need to be reasonable in our expectations. I would be thrilled with 20-20-40 out of Johnsson.

Johnsson also only saw about 15 minutes of ice time compared to the 19-21 you would expect a top 6 guy to get.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Johnsson also only saw about 15 minutes of ice time compared to the 19-21 you would expect a top 6 guy to get.

15:45 ATOI isn't terrible...He was 7th among forwards for Toronto...It suggest to me that the coaching staff looked for creative ways to get Marner (21:33), Matthew(20:58) and Tavares(19:33) more ice time...Although I don't know that for a fact, just surmising...

But for comparison purposes -

Our leading forward had 18:04 ATOI this year. Our leading goal scorer had 17:07 ATOI.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
15:45 ATOI isn't terrible...He was 7th among forwards for Toronto...It suggest to me that the coach staff looked for creative ways to get Marner (21:33), Matthew(20:58) and Tavares(19:33) more ice time...Although I don't know that for a fact, just surmising...

But for comparison purposes -

Our leading forward had 18:04 ATOI this year. Our leading goal scorer had 17:07 ATOI.

And he was 13:40 the year before when he played almost twice as many games.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

For sure...and I think that kind of performance could be criticized from a trade standpoint if you see guys like Namestnikov and Kahun sign short term, 2 x 2 deals and put up similar seasons. I would understand why people would then be lukewarm on this trade.

I think from a value in / out perspective, this deal is a no brainer for me personally, but I 100% understand people being reticent to love the move based on Johnsson as a player and his current money. I can see how people may not like that from an asset management perspective.

Toffoli is about 2.5 years old, signed 4 years just over 4 million and has has a longer track record. I could see people wondering why we didn't try and go that route first as opposed to taking this on.

I like this move, and I think it's a good fit...but I do understand the other side of the coin and people maybe not loving it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
My thing with Johnsson is people see his size (5'10" 180) and think he's soft. Newsflash, he's not. Kid is a bulldog. You don't have to be 6'3" 210 to be a tough player nor does being 6'3" 210 mean you're a tough player (cough Zacha cough). Johnsson fits nicely with what we have right now so it's hard not to be a fan of the deal. You're hoping Joey Anderson is Andreas Johnsson someday.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
This is a good trade both players are good....Keep in mind Anderson also was had some injuries and while he is younger and that's huge in hockey on a team in need of right wings he didn't force his way onto the big club..Johnson on the other hand was a former 7th rounder so that tells us something about his character...Both are good players and with different skill sets they bring to the table....Johnsson right now is more offensively gifted and will have to show he can do it without playing with elite players and Joey Anderson will bring traits they need to the table a physical hard nosed two way game and if the offense follows this trade could look a lot more balanced or tilt in the Leaf's favor....Right now NJ gets an nhl roster player who is proven that will hold the fort make us more competitive until our younger guys are ready to come up......

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My thing with Johnsson is people see his size (5'10" 180) and think he's soft. Newsflash, he's not. Kid is a bulldog. You don't have to be 6'3" 210 to be a tough player nor does being 6'3" 210 mean you're a tough player (cough Zacha cough). Johnsson fits nicely with what we have right now so it's hard not to be a fan of the deal. You're hoping Joey Anderson is Andreas Johnsson someday.

Like I keep saying, I think Johnsson is the better player now, but I think Anderson will be the better player within a season or two. But I agree that Johnsson is a solid all-around player and not just a soft, perimeter scorer. I like him, and I think he improves the Devils as a team for 2020-21, while Anderson can be replaced as the likely 3rd line RW by Nick Merkley, whom I thought played really well in his limited audition with the Devils last year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
How do you know this?

By watching Nico for 3 seasons. He doesn't have a great shot and he's not great at the kind of passing a power play demands. You could use him inside the 'box' but those jobs usually fall to RH shots for multiple reasons.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It can't be stressed enough how weird Anderson's NHL goal totals are - he has 5 actual goals and 3 empty net goals. Empty net goals aren't worth nothing, but all they tell you about Anderson is that the Devils trusted him to be on the ice late in games.

If Anderson is as good as Johnsson in a season, this is an awful trade, because Anderson will be cheaper too. He likely won't be as good as Johnsson because the offense isn't there. He's a fine player but just not likely to be a scorer.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Nick Merkley has looked pretty invisible in Liiga, he has done absolutely nothing so far, except get himself thrown out of the game. I was really rooting for him, so it has been a big disappointment to see him struggle. It's still early and it's probably just an adjustment thing, to the bigger ice and european playstyle.

Back to the topic however, I'm really amazed by the down play of Johnsson and the praise of Joey. STI has been banging the Joey Anderson drum for a few years now and he has done nothing at NHL level yet and quite frankly has been a let down in AHL as well. None of us can know how things turn out, but I'd be surprised if Anderson even makes it into the Leafs team. Not this year, not next year, maybe not ever. I like the kid, so I hope I'm wrong.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Nick Merkley has looked pretty invisible in Liiga, he has done absolutely nothing so far, except get himself thrown out of the game. I was really rooting for him, so it has been a big disappointment to see him struggle. It's still early and it's probably just an adjustment thing, to the bigger ice and european playstyle.

Back to the topic however, I'm really amazed by the down play of Johnsson and the praise of Joey. STI has been banging the Joey Anderson drum for a few years now and he has done nothing at NHL level yet and quite frankly has been a let down in AHL as well. None of us can know how things turn out, but I'd be surprised if Anderson even makes it into the Leafs team. Not this year, not next year, maybe not ever. I like the kid, so I hope I'm wrong.

Anderson is waiver-eligible this year so I would be absolutely shocked if he did not play in the NHL for someone. He will get a minimum contract or something very close to it, too.

I don't think Anderson has been a let down in the AHL. He's been fine there.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Anderson is waiver-eligible this year so I would be absolutely shocked if he did not play in the NHL for someone. He will get a minimum contract or something very close to it, too.

Didn’t know that, but correct me if I’m wrong, he can still accept a two way contract and start at the AHL so he never goes through waivers. I assumed that’s what the Leafs were going to do at least, although they are very top heavy, so maybe they can’t afford much depth (in terms of salary at least)

I don't think Anderson has been a let down in the AHL. He's been fine there.

Yeah exactly he’s been fine, an Ahler, not this great prospect / future top6 forward some are suggesting.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Didn’t know that, but correct me if I’m wrong, he can still accept a two way contract and start at the AHL so he never goes through waivers. I assumed that’s what the Leafs were going to do at least, although they are very top heavy, so maybe they can’t afford much depth (in terms of salary at least)

Yeah exactly he’s been fine, an Ahler, not this great prospect / future top6 forward some are suggesting.

1 or 2 way doesn't matter. He is waiver exempt though

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
1 or 2 way doesn't matter. He is waiver exempt though

It's always very confusing - he did sign his contract 3 years ago, but he never played a game under it for the first year. So that does not count towards his waiver eligibility.

Also ages are calculated differently for free agency and waivers which I forgot.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Anderson is a NHL ready player now, mainly because of his defensive play but I’m confident the offense will continue to come. The Leafs presumably saw the same thing. I’m not complaining about the trade or Johnsson but Joey was one of our top older prospects. It’s gets more complicated, at least to me to compare him to younger guys but I don’t believe there’s another forward in Bing that the Leafs would have taken over Anderson. He wasn’t a spare forward.

Is Andreas Johnsson about to follow Kasperi Kapanen out the door?

Someone linked to this article where they mentioned Anderson, but look at this quote:

But would a team like the Devils see Johnsson as more valuable than the Leafs do, and therefore consider paying with the 20th overall and a prospect of some worth? By a crude measure of one season of Goals Above Replacement, there are seven New Jersey forwards better than Johnsson (measuring his worst results remember). One is Blake Coleman, currently happy in Tampa, another is Kyle Palmieri, on the last season of deal that will end when he’s 30, a third is Nikita Gusev, also in his last season, and a fourth is a small-minute defensive wonder Joey Anderson.
7980DE5C-53CD-4B0C-BD75-C89413B5317F.png

Attachments

• 8CADD6D2-741E-430B-9A31-04FCD5E8E41A.png
    8CADD6D2-741E-430B-9A31-04FCD5E8E41A.png
    252.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Forge

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Is this your opinion or did you copy and paste it from somewhere?

Or maybe you tried posting a Youtube video and it didn't show up?

Just curious.

Glenwo, I tried posting a video but it did not work. The post was my comment regarding how impressed I am with Andreas Johnnson. He doesn't just bang goals home, so many are creative and result from his soft hands. The kid is extremely talented. I believe he is a special player. Watch his highlights.

Reactions: glenwo2

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Leaf fan here.

Congrats on getting Johnsson. He’s going to be a solid player for you guys at a great rate. He’s got a high energy motor, great hands and has a nose for the net. Not to mention that he was one of our grittier forwards. Would’ve preferred to move others, but it is what it is.

I’m intrigued by Anderson. Sounds like he could be another Hyman for us. Is that an accurate statement?

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Leaf fan here.

Congrats on getting Johnsson. He’s going to be a solid player for you guys at a great rate. He’s got a high energy motor, great hands and has a nose for the net. Not to mention that he was one of our grittier forwards. Would’ve preferred to move others, but it is what it is.

I’m intrigued by Anderson. Sounds like he could be another Hyman for us. Is that an accurate statement?
One thing I always liked about Anderson as a prospect was that everywhere he played, be it UM-Duluth or Team USA, he always found his way onto the top line even though he's obviously not the most offensively skilled guy. He works well with skilled guys and should be a solid complimentary player. If everyone stays healthy, both teams should be happy.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Leaf fan here.

He’ll probably never be a big scorer (but you never know — if you stick him with one of your big guns he may be). He should be a very dependable defensive player that can be a fixture on the PK.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Leaf fan here.

Hyman, if I'm reading the commentary on him correctly, is a more high energy pest type player? Anderson is not a high event player when I watch him. He has always played smart and has good defensive positioning. He has more skill than he has shown at the NHL level. I'd expect a smart smooth third line wing for TOR when he finishes developing. He'll play the odd shift in the top six once he fully matures but I don't think you'll want him there long term.

Reactions: TopProspect91

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Leaf fan here.

Excellent. He sounds like exactly the type of player that I've been wanting for Hughes' wing.

Now go out and get Virtanen on the cheap, and we have a damn good 3rd line that'll get some delicious matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad