Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
I just realized no matter the standings Seattle gets 3rd overall pre-lottery

so once again the Devils likely get f***ed by circumstance. Last year Arizona robbed us of a top-10 pick, this year Im willing to bet my house on the fact that, after being bumped back a spot by Seattle and then the lottery, we pick outside the top-4

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I just realized no matter the standings Seattle gets 3rd overall pre-lottery

so once again the Devils likely get f***ed by circumstance. Last year Arizona robbed us of a top-10 pick, this year Im willing to bet my house on the fact that, after being bumped back a spot by Seattle and then the lottery, we pick outside the top-4
E62781-B6-CC0-B-42-B9-A817-E2-C31096-A700.jpg

We’re going to get a good pick even in the worst case scenario. And we still might pass some teams if this thing really goes off the rails.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
E62781-B6-CC0-B-42-B9-A817-E2-C31096-A700.jpg

We’re going to get a good pick even in the worst case scenario. And we still might pass some teams if this thing really goes off the rails.
Im sure everyone will say differently since common thought is always BPA (which I whole heartedly disagree with considering people take worse positional needs over others when theyre 1A 1B most of the time)

but this draft we HAVE to be top-5. No ifs and or but. If we arent I see us missing the big-3 dmen and the big-2 forwards

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Im sure everyone will say differently since common thought is always BPA (which I whole heartedly disagree with considering people take worse positional needs over others when theyre 1A 1B most of the time)

but this draft we HAVE to be top-5. No ifs and or but. If we arent I see us missing the big-3 dmen and the big-2 forwards

Every team is going to have the top 7 in a different order. Top 5 would be nice, but it's not necessary. You'll get a player of equivalent value at 6 that you would at 3.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Every team is going to have the top 7 in a different order. Top 5 would be nice, but it's not necessary. You'll get a player of equivalent value at 6 that you would at 3.
Im not worried about what other teams value the picks at - theyres only six players in this draft im willing to take top-6 and the last one is my backup plan if the main five are gone

Ive never seen a draft with more chances to bust in the top-30 than this year. We better NOT take names like Eklund and Johnson who werent anywhere near a top-7 spot a year ago

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think this will be the case for sure. Teams top 10 lists will vary dramatically more so this year than others. There is no clear cut tiers of players and I’m sure everyone’s lists are vastly different .
I can see Seattle wanting a C or D to build around . I can’t see them going winger with their kick . I’d assume they go Powers if he is there . If we pick in the top 7 , I feel confident we will get a very good player .

Am I looking at things wrong where I think this draft will be the opposite of what people are saying ? That with the inability to scout and view theses kids will hurt the ability to find elite talent , I think there is a better chance of finding an elite player in later rounds as they have tons of potential that they have not had the chance to showcase yet. There has to be a few kids out there that would have normally had their breakout in their draft year , but were unable to have anyone view it .There are those higher profile kids that have been watched since they were in bantam or 14 years old or younger even that can be projected somewhat based off their D-1 seasons , however they are always kids who develop a tad slower and have breakout seasons in their draft year. Normally they would get noticed and snatched up in the earlier rounds. This year , I think there will be a lot of late round “gems” that are found as the scouting ability just wasn’t there. I’m glad we have the amount of picks we do , I hope we hit on some of those kids deep i the draft that would normally have gone in the first two or three rounds.

Last edited:

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

I find it interesting that you think its big five when most agree its the big seven.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Im not worried about what other teams value the picks at - theyres only six players in this draft im willing to take top-6 and the last one is my backup plan if the main five are gone

Ive never seen a draft with more chances to bust in the top-30 than this year. We better NOT take names like Eklund and Johnson who werent anywhere near a top-7 spot a year ago

Nico Hischier wasn't anywhere near the first pick in his D-1 year. I'm not sure what rankings in prior years when the kids are 16/17 years old have to do with anything. With that logic, we would have Nolan Patrick right now and the Flyers would have Nico.

Reactions: TheDuke93

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Don't mean to bring up a well past it's prime dead horse in the losing culture/mentality debate, but I just saw this randomly and it speaks volumes.

And it comes from a former player, who's played through every scenario, talking about a team who is in the height of getting high draft picks.

It's never as simple as just picking high for a few years, there is way more that goes into it, you have to recognize the bad before it becomes ingrained for starters.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Nico Hischier wasn't anywhere near the first pick in his D-1 year. I'm not sure what rankings in prior years when the kids are 16/17 years old have to do with anything. With that logic, we would have Nolan Patrick right now and the Flyers would have Nico.
IIRC in the pre season rankings he was bottom of the first and then mid season scouts said this kid's the dark hours to go 1oa.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Don't mean to bring up a well past it's prime dead horse in the losing culture/mentality debate, but I just saw this randomly and it speaks volumes.

And it comes from a former player, who's played through every scenario, talking about a team who is in the height of getting high draft picks.

It's never as simple as just picking high for a few years, you have to recognize the bad before it becomes ingrained.

Roy had a .429 winning percentage. Bednar took over and the team took off. He's just an old man yelling at a cloud there.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
He couldn't fix it himself, ok fine. To avoid putting words in your mouth, do you agree or disagree with what he said?

I don't believe that Duchene celebrating a goal had anything to do with that Colorado team losing games. So, I don't agree with what he said. He had an old school mindset and didn't like a goal celebration.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's never as simple as just picking high for a few years, there is way more that goes into it, you have to recognize the bad before it becomes ingrained for starters.

Patrick Roy didn't 'play through every scenario' - he was on one team that ever missed the playoffs, and much of his career came in the era where 16 teams made the playoffs in a 21 team league. I'd find him uniquely unqualified to talk about this sort of thing, because the reality is that 15 teams miss the playoffs now, and you've got to deal with those scenarios as a franchise now.

I think if you were trying to build a 'winning culture', you'd let Duchene know in private that this was horseshit (and it was, to be fair), instead of telling the media.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Because he has been a healthy scratch this year and has not played that well. I agree with you that we need a finisher, just not sure he is the one . At this point however , there is really no one else that is any better ... maybe Tatar??

$8 million for Hoffman is absurd. He has healthy scratch written all over him and we're just going to throw all-star caliber money at him.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He couldn't fix it himself, ok fine. To avoid putting words in your mouth, do you agree or disagree with what he said?
I agree with Roy I that Duch should not have celebrated like that . I don’t agree with him coming out and saying that in a press conference though . Why would you unless you are trying to cover your own ass. That stuff is for inside the dressing room and address it there , not in the media.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I don't believe that Duchene celebrating a goal had anything to do with that Colorado team losing games. So, I don't agree with what he said. He had an old school mindset and didn't like a goal celebration.
He clearly said down in a 4-0 game, not just goal celebrations in general... But yea, the point is Duchene celebrating that goal is the reason they lose games.... good talk.

Also, they traded him and got better.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
$8 million for Hoffman is absurd. He has healthy scratch written all over him and we're just going to throw all-star caliber money at him.

The point is the money isn't going to help you win games if you don't spend it, and Hughes isn't going to develop if he has no help. One year term there's a bunch of guys I'd be happy if the Devils added them where I don't even care what the cap hit is, the only real benefit of a lower cap hit is it makes them easier to move at the deadline

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Roy I that Duch should not have celebrated like that . I don’t agree with him coming out and saying that in a press conference though . Why would you unless you are trying to cover your own ass. That stuff is for inside the dressing room and address it there , not in the media.
Oh don't get me wrong, bad look, bad coach, all of it. But the point was that being worried about a losing mentality isn't some made up thing on the internet. People who have been around the league for longer then this site existed know it.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
It goes both ways, was the celebration a bit excessive sure, should he celebrate hitting 30 goals? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad