Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Jack doesn't make the strides he has made defensively without being in the NHL last year.
Maybe maybe not but we wasn’t exactly nhl ready his first year yet he still played in the nhl. He looks like a much different player this year and I expect more out of him next year

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Maybe maybe not but we wasn’t exactly nhl ready his first year yet he still played in the nhl. He looks like a much different player this year and I expect more out of him next year
Yeah I don't think that's the case. The team was flat out bad and he was never challenged before.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah I don't think that's the case. The team was flat out bad and he was never challenged before.
Yeah i agree with some of the other posts. I’m just glad it didn’t hurt his development and I’m sure it also helped him having Nico around for the full season

Reactions: TheDuke93

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How high of an AAV and what kind of term would you guys go for on Dougie Hamilton? He turns 28 in June. Cam Robinson of EP thinks he's going to pull more than Carlson did which was 8x8. For me, that makes no sense considering 1) the flat cap and 2) Carlson is better than Dougie.
Carlson isn’t better then Hamilton.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
How high of an AAV and what kind of term would you guys go for on Dougie Hamilton? He turns 28 in June. Cam Robinson of EP thinks he's going to pull more than Carlson did which was 8x8. For me, that makes no sense considering 1) the flat cap and 2) Carlson is better than Dougie.

I'm not necessarily saying we should go there, but I'd be utterly shocked if Hamilton doesn't get something comparable to what Pietrangelo got from Vegas ($8.8m x 7 years). I could definitely see Hamilton eclipsing that mark ever so slightly, but probably nothing higher than $9.5m.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's played with junk for the most part tbqh. Can't judge a kid off like 4 games.
And I will keep saying this even though no one apparently thinks it’s important but he said he never played a system like Ruff’s before. He already had to switch systems when Laviolette took over the Capitals so he’s going to be caught between systems a bit before he gets into the swing of things.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Fans of THIS team really can’t admit to Carlson’s talent by now?? I hope it’s just sour grapes, otherwise...
I think Dougie is more talented. I think he has played on worse teams his whole career. That is not to say I don't think Carlson isn't very good.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You think so?
Hamilton does dumb Hamilton things occasionally and Carlson puts up more points but Carlson’s worse defensively mostly because Hamilton is an incredible possession player and Carlson isn’t.

I was responding to someone saying he shouldn’t get paid what Carlson does and that’s not true, he’s in the same tier for sure.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fans of THIS team really can’t admit to Carlson’s talent by now?? I hope it’s just sour grapes, otherwise...
My point was people shouldn’t underestimate Hamilton’s value. I didn’t think people would suddenly think a defenseman who scores 60 points in 69 games and was 2nd in Norris voting sucks. (And if the “sour grapes” is reference to Devils not drafting him I don’t give a shit, it was 2008. I don’t have the hang-ups some people seem to about every past draft pick selection.)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So Foote was the leading scorer for Bing in his time there.

In 2 NHL games, 2 points, both on good/very good offensive plays.

Turns 21 in Nov. Big kid obviously.

Does he really need another year in the AHL next year? Still has to prove himself the rest of the way, but I'm hoping his play says no.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Does he really need another year in the AHL next year? Still has to prove himself the rest of the way, but I'm hoping his play says no.

I think it’s up to him and the way he plays down the stretch here. He played well in the A but not so good that you could say another year would be wasting his development. If he shows he belongs enough with the big club without looking out of place, I wouldn’t be opposed to letting him play through some of the eventual hiccups and let him learn his long term teammates.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Yes, he does. We can’t have an entire roster of kids at the NHL level. Let him play big minutes in the minors and he’ll have more help with possibly Mercer and Holtz joining the team.

Let’s not rush our kids because they’re putting up points in meaningless games, when we’re trailing by 3 or 4 goals after 1 period.

Confidence goes a long way for these kids and if they can dominate the AHL level, it’ll show when they get called up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I suspect we’ll know the answer by the time his audition this year is done. But his goal last night was a pure goal scorers goal and points in his first two is a good start.

Reactions: devilsblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad