Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
This is what’s wrong with going solely off points. Anyone that thinks Palmieri or Gusev has played better than Jack during that span should have their head examined. Hughes continues to draw penalties at a higher rate than anyone else on the team (and hasn’t taken a single one himself), and is always receiving the other team’s full attention. There was a play against Buffalo last game where Hughes entered the zone with the puck (alone ofc) and he instantly had 3 Sabres on top of him because nobody fears his line mates right now. At least not when he’s with Palmieri and Johnsson.
Look at who you are replying to lol

Reactions: Guttersniped

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
This is what’s wrong with going solely off points. Anyone that thinks Palmieri or Gusev has played better than Jack during that span should have their head examined. Hughes continues to draw penalties at a higher rate than anyone else on the team (and hasn’t taken a single one himself), and is always receiving the other team’s full attention. There was a play against Buffalo last game where Hughes entered the zone with the puck (alone ofc) and he instantly had 3 Sabres on top of him because nobody fears his line mates right now. At least not when he’s with Palmieri and Johnsson.
Also, Hughes probably has, at least, a half dozen more goals if he doesn't get hooked and draw penalties, if not more.

Reactions: Nicomo Cosca

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
This is what it is about...a #1 center averaging more ice time than any forward... he's actually averaging more ice time than Murray....producing like a 4th liner...only Johnsson and Busty Mcleod have been worse.

Points in the last 10 games
Zajac 8
Sharangovich 7
Kuokkanen 6
Bratt 5
Zacha 4
Wood 4
Gusev 4
Palmieri 3
Maltsev 3
Bastian 2
Hughes 2 * highest ATOI forward
Johnsson 1
Mcleod 1
And Busty McHughes is still 2nd on the team in scoring (at 19 years of age). Good lord are you insufferable. Go root for Seattle.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jim is that guy in the action movie that tosses a grenade then walks away with a gleeful expression on his face as it explodes behind him.
I'm really not getting the blasé attitude towards the major suckage? Seriously? It's always "the breakout will be next year", "patience", it takes time...come on already. Or some mundane stat to prove the suckage isn't really that bad or we are about to turn the corner any day now amidst a streak of winning 2 games in the last 10..

You got 4 centers on this team that we used picks #6, #11, #1 and #1 to get in 5 years... And we've gotten almost nothing out of it to date.

I'm really not sure how the fans of this team aren't demanding heads to roll?

It's always we'll get'em next time fellas like the Bad News Bears.

Reactions: BurntToast

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I'm really not getting the blasé attitude towards the major suckage? Seriously? It's always "the breakout will be next year", "patience", it takes time...come on already. Or some mundane stat to prove the suckage isn't really that bad or we are about to turn the corner any day now amidst a streak of winning 2 games in the last 10..

You got 4 centers on this team that we used picks #6, #11, #1 and #1 to get in 5 years... And we've gotten almost nothing out of it to date.

Who are our top scorers right now?

Hint: It's two guys you're attempting to crap on.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
We looked like a damn good team until the virus that caused the pandemic wiped us out. But, sure, bring up the issues now because it's convenient.

As a Wisconsin sports fan, some people don't care about the team, they only want to be right, I see them every Packers off-season. Jim is one of them. Seen it too often. Quiet when things are going well but one of the first to make a comment when they aren't.

And, again, people don't understand the hole Lou dug us. Call it an excuse, fine. I don't care. I'm a realist. We had literally nothing to build off of when he dipped out. That's honestly probably why he dipped out lol.

I don't care. I'm an unabashed Devils supporter. The tattoo on my calf will confirm that and my unadulterated love won't be effected.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Jack Hughes 14 points puts him 192nd in the league.

NHL Stats

Games obviously aren't even, but come on,. His performance has been garbage outside the first 5 games of the season.
So which is it, the team sucks or the players do? You can't have it both ways. He's still the #2 scorer, at 19, on this damn team.

You so desperately would rather be right than care about this team. It's absolutely appalling. Go root for the Islanders if you're such a Lou stan.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Jack Hughes 14 points puts him 192nd in the league.

NHL Stats

Games obviously aren't even, but come on,. His performance has been garbage outside the first 5 games of the season.
And you're obviously not watching the damn games. LIS, you'd rather be right than root for the team. You were pretty silent when we looked good prior to Covid destroying us. I know your type.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Where are your Lou picks/trades? Oh, that's right, outside of Zajac, he didn't put a soul into the system. But everything is everyone else's fault afterwards.

So shortsighted. Sooooooo shortsighted.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

You say "heads roll." So is it unlucky that the two 1st overalls we got are (100% for ease of topic we will say) busts or did they pick wrong? Did you want Kakko instead or Patrick?

You are saying these two players are bad, and that is our biggest problem that our 1st OAs aren't producing. Ok, why should heads roll because of it, do you think it's coaching or are they just bad players and shouldn't have been picked?

If you are clamoring for people to demand heads roll, great, I love to see heads roll, I am 100% on board IF you let me know why.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You say "heads roll." So is it unlucky that the two 1st overalls we got are (100% for ease of topic we will say) busts or did they pick wrong? Did you want Kakko instead or Patrick?

You are saying these two players are bad, and that is our biggest problem that our 1st OAs aren't producing. Ok, why should heads roll because of it, do you think it's coaching or are they just bad players and shouldn't have been picked?

If you are clamoring for people to demand heads roll, great, I love to see heads roll, I am 100% on board IF you let me know why.
Yes our #1's are without a doubt our biggest problem because they aren't good enough to change the direction of this team. We are actually getting worse year to year...I don't expect these two to move heaven and earth...I don't think these two should by themselves lead us deep in the playoffs...but they are stagnant. Nico is 4 years in and a constant .65 points per game...Jack in his last 21 games is on par with what he did last year and that was a complete and utter disaster... I'm not expecting a generational player out of a #1 but I am expecting an upper echelon player out of a #1....at no point has either one of these guys given any indication they can be elite producers...they haven't even given an indication that the can be elite Devils...and we don't have much of a history for elite producers in the grand scheme of things.

It's not coaching, it's not all the weird side issues people like to talk about....it is the players who are supposed to be your best players simply aren't. And when that happens for long enough changes need to made..

Last edited:

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Yes our #1's are without a doubt our biggest problem because they aren't good enough to change the direction of this team. We are actually getting worse year to year...I don't expect these two to move heaven and earth...I don't think these two should by themselves lead us deep in the playoffs...but they are stagnant. Nico is 4 years in and a constant .65 points per game...Jack in his last 21 games is on par with what he did last year and that was a complete and utter disaster... I'm not expecting a generational player out of a #1 but I am expecting an upper echelon player out of a #1....at no point has either one of these guys given any indication they can be elite producers...they haven't even given an indication that the can be Devil's...and we don't have much of a history for elite producers in the grand scheme of things.

It's not coaching, it's not all the weird side issues people like to talk about....it is the players who are supposed to be your best players simply aren't. And when that happens for long enough changes need to made..
lol so out of touch

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

What heads do you want to roll? Fitz, who has been on the job for a year? Ruff? Castron? Should we trade Nico and/or Hughes?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What heads do you want to roll? Fitz, who has been on the job for a year? Ruff? Castron? Should we trade Nico and/or Hughes?
I would totally be up for trading Hughes and or Hischier or anyone else on this team. I honestly think it would be tough to trade Nico with his price tag to performance ratio though. I'd trade them both for Eichel at the drop of a hat.
Trading players for futures is bullshit though...it leaves you in this constant state of sucking waiting for a better day that never comes.

I think the new ownership sucks the most and have been responsible for a constant flow of bad decisions that have drive us deeper into this losing culture ...nothing can be done there unfortunately. Maybe someone can let them know that they don't anything about hockey?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
What heads do you want to roll?

3e83d120-a688-11e9-affe-0501da504799

guillotine-instrument-for-inflicting-capital-punishment-by-decapitation-1096626924-c712b602aff44aff995c41fbbc0aff33.jpg

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I would totally be up for trading Hughes and or Hischier or anyone else on this team. I honestly think it would be tough to trade Nico with his price tag to performance ratio though. I'd trade them both for Eichel at the drop of a hat.
Trading players for futures is bullshit though...it leaves you in this constant state of sucking waiting for a better day that never comes.

I think the new ownership sucks the most and have been responsible for a constant flow of bad decisions that have drive us deeper into this losing culture ...nothing can be done there unfortunately. Maybe someone can let them know that they don't anything about hockey?

Are you out of your mind? :biglaugh:

Both for McDavid....Yes.

Anyone else? hell no.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH

If Eichel had 2 goals in 21 GP for the Devils you would be absolutely killing him.

Nico has as many in 5 games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad