Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
In the few hours the Devils have between games could someone get Jack Hughes a helmet that fits well. He literally adjusts the damn thing in the midst of stick handling.

MV5BNTkyMzljZDctNDRjMi00ZTU1LTg3YzMtNDNiNzgzMmM2NjVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Kulikov has been good but we should be cautious about committing to 30 year old bottom pairing guys. He's good because he's on the 3rd pair, other teams have tried playing him as a top-4 guy and he gets absolutely eaten alive. He's been run out of town everywhere he's been, and we should remember that when we're talking about re-signing him.

Now, if the goal is to continue adding players on D with the goal of bumping him down to being a #7 guy or having him compete with Bingo kids for the last spot, then sure. But if you want to promise this guy a spot for another year or two that's a huge mistake IMO. If Murray walks or gets injured, now you're forced to play him on the 2nd pairing, and now we've got a Mike Mottau/John Moore situation.

You can't get attached to role players, especially with a flat cap expected for the near future. Being better than Will Butcher does not necessarily mean you're good. He is a limited ceiling player who has found a nice niche, that's it.

Reactions: RNCDevil

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kuokkanen and Sharangovich have really separated themselves from the rest of the rookie forwards.

Bastian hasn't really been actively bad but he has a very limited ceiling to the point where he would be easily replaceable. I wouldn't cry if we lost McLeod either, he's been fine but hasn't stood out in any way.

Devils are most likely to lose either Butcher or Subban for expansion. Unless Vegas wants to take a shot at someone like Seney and likes defensive options elsewhere.

McLeod and Bastian seem like they will be good extra forwards to keep around. Don’t think they are every day guys, but can inject some life and be fan favorites.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Its 2021 and our best line is centered by 35 year old Travis Zajac. :sarcasm:

Just kidding, but that line has been great. I feel like its safe to expect scoring chances every game from them and so far theyve been buring them too. I like how much Ruff gave them ice time protecting the lead, not just Travis but the two youngsters too. Every man on that line compliments eachother while playing the same hard working style.

But the other lines.. :(

Zacha/Maltsev - Jack - Bratt
Kuok - Zajac - Shara
Wood - Zacha/Maltsev - Palms
Johnsson/Gusev/Merkley - McLeod - Bastian

Keep Zajac line together as long as it works. I dont like Bratt and Hughes on same line, I think they are too similar but we dont have too many options. Zacha works better on wing, although Jack is far from Nico in terms of style and complete play. By the time Nico is back, I'd suppose both Gusev and Palms are gone so then its new line shuffle anyway and possibly new faces too.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Maple Leafs' top 10 trade deadline targets: Taylor Hall, Eric Staal, Tanner Pearson and more

“Mirtle’s No. 2 target: Kyle Palmieri

I’m a very big fan of Palmieri. Of anyone on this list, he probably fits what the Leafs need the best.

An excellent defensive player who can mesh well with top centres and has a lethal shot? Sounds pretty, pretty good.”

“He would likely cost a late first-round pick plus potentially a middling prospect, given he’s been a 25-goal guy for years. (With this season a rare exception given his shooting percentage is half of what it normally is.)”

“The tough thing with Palmieri is he does have an eight-team no-trade clause, which I have heard basically reads “No Canada.””

————-

I would think in a regular season he would waive to do a half season in Toronto for a chance at the cup but it’ll be even tougher to convince him under these conditions.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
At some point, I want us to give Merkley an extended look and not just a few games here and there. Merkley in, Johnsson out.

Agree. Especially with "Johnsson out" part. To be honest, regarding the forwards group, I'm surprised that Ruff doesn't send more messages via scratching several underperformers, Andreas being the most obvious choice since Nikita was already scratched few times.

Reactions: blink and glenwo2

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The Maple Leafs' top 10 trade deadline targets: Taylor Hall, Eric Staal, Tanner Pearson and more

“Mirtle’s No. 2 target: Kyle Palmieri

I’m a very big fan of Palmieri. Of anyone on this list, he probably fits what the Leafs need the best.

An excellent defensive player who can mesh well with top centres and has a lethal shot? Sounds pretty, pretty good.”

“He would likely cost a late first-round pick plus potentially a middling prospect, given he’s been a 25-goal guy for years. (With this season a rare exception given his shooting percentage is half of what it normally is.)”

“The tough thing with Palmieri is he does have an eight-team no-trade clause, which I have heard basically reads “No Canada.””

————-

I would think in a regular season he would waive to do a half season in Toronto for a chance at the cup but it’ll be even tougher to convince him under these conditions.

What Palmieri are they watching?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Away right now, day off from fishing, haven't been able to follow the games since last Thursday, but I noticed Nico and Jack have now combined for 150 games over the last two seasons...87 for Jack and 63 for Nico. They have produced 74 points combined in 150 games. 39 in 63 (.62 PPG) for Nico and 35 in 87 (.40 PPG) for Jack. A combined total of .49 PPG. When we pick top 5 again this year, this is why.. I couldn't possibly think of a more disappointing scenario for two #1OA than this.

Back to the tiki bar now.

Reactions: mdj12784

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
Away right now, day off from fishing, haven't been able to follow the games since last Thursday, but I noticed Nico and Jack have now combined for 150 games over the last two seasons...87 for Jack and 63 for Nico. They have produced 74 points combined in 150 games. 39 in 63 (.62 PPG) for Nico and 35 in 87 (.40 PPG) for Jack. A combined total of .49 PPG. When we pick top 5 again this year, this is why.. I couldn't possibly think of a more disappointing scenario for two #1OA than this.

Nico's play last season is more responsible for the results of this season than him being injured for ~80% of it. Good to know.

Reactions: nugg

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
What Palmieri are they watching?

Palmieri is a guy who has a career shooting percentage of like 13% currently shooting 6%. Since the day he came here he has always been incredibly frustrating when he's not scoring, but when he gets hot you love him. He's a hardnosed physical player who is responsible defensively and could absolutely light it up on a good team. So, they're watching the same Palmieri we are, but knowing he would slot in as a scoring winger on a strong team rather than a snakebitten winger on a horrendous team. I've been as frustrated with Palms as anyone else, but it's kind of amazing how fans can tank their own player's value when they're frustrated.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nico's play last season is more responsible for the results of this season than him being injured for ~80% of it. Good to know.
Him not playing this season is a direct cause and Jack's 2 points in last 10 games is an even bigger problem.

Jack has 7 points in his last 21 games. That's seriously horse shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdj12784
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad