Devils 2021-22 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
It's just Gillies right now. We don't have a second active goalie.
Fitz looking for goaltenders right now:

4ea.jpg

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So for tomorrow it sounds like Bratt, Bastian, Geertsen, Kuokkanen, Schmid, Blackwood, and Severson remain sidelined with Covid (Hamilton as well but that's secondary to his broken jaw, poor guy)?

The lineup maybe looks like

Zacha Hughes Shara
Vesey Nico Tatar
Johnsson Mercer Boquist
Foote McLeod Studenic

Graves Subban
Siegs Jaros
Smith White

Gillies
@Guttersniped (years of season tickets finally pay off)

My guess is if nobody else tests positive by tomorrow they'll play. If the current situation was bad enough wouldn't they have canceled the game already?

Is Domingue free for sign? Maybe some Martin's sons still didn't try themselves in the net.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We shouldn't be playing tomorrow. So watch the NHL drag us out anyway.

They are probably trying to avoid canceling games unless they absolutely have to, given how many already need to be made up later. But I can't see how they wouldn't consider this a must-cancel situation, given that we literally can't fill our bench with the correct number of forwards, and we'll need to raid our ECHL team for a goalie.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So what? They're done anyway and will help the tank.

There is no tank. The Devils are 7th from the bottom right now and the only team that might realistically jump over them is Chicago. They would have to drastically bottom out to reach 5th worst, and it's hard for them to get worse goaltending than they are already getting.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils knew since yesterday Blackwood and Schmid are going on the covid list.

That’s more than enough time for them to get a semi-capable goalie to backup tomorrow.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
There is no tank. The Devils are 7th from the bottom right now and the only team that might realistically jump over them is Chicago. They would have to drastically bottom out to reach 5th worst, and it's hard for them to get worse goaltending than they are already getting.

Well I didn't mean it litterally. They're done and will have another top 10 pick, that was my point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well I didn't mean it litterally. They're done and will have another top 10 pick, that was my point.

I wouldn’t say the Devils are done. Mathematically, the odds of making the playoffs in the East are extremely slim.

But for the sake of this teams future, the Devils aren’t going to just throw the towel this season. They’re going to want this team to play competitive games for as long as possible.

Playing competitive hockey into (and hopefully in) April is much more important to this team than another top 10 or 5 pick at this point.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think everyone is a little overboard here. It isn't 'our centers, one winger and a bunch of shit' unless you are of the viewpoint that we need 4 full lines of ubertalented players with awesome player cards and super cool adv metric numbers.

That's not how winning teams are built.

I'll agree that after Bratt our priority is D- that Graves and Siegs should be Fitz's first business, followed by a 1b goalie with potential.

After that, clearly one top6 winger in a trade.

Holtz is coming.

Mercer + a kid from the pipe plus a good ufa two way fwd is great for the third line. Trotting out wood McLeod and Bastian for the fourth is perfect, esp if the first and second rounders games improve. They might be a third line really, as you could trot them out as shutdown... And then we just find kids with engines for the fourth.

I don't think we are that far away, esp if we turn some of those prospects into a top winger.
Ubertalented is a weird word to use, no one is saying add Ovechkin, McDavid, Kucherov etc. We need to put scorers in scoring roles. There's nothing wrong with bottom-6 players as long as they're in the bottom-6. If you're one injury away from top-6 Vesey and Kuokkanen you're not a good team.

The only forwards on this roster that have any business playing in the top-6 of a good team are Hughes, Hischier, and Bratt. MAYBE Tatar on a fringe team. On a good team Zacha and Sharangovich don't make the top-6. If they move Mercer to wing he would be a good option but we don't have the luxury of enough center depth to be able to make that move.

Look at Tampa, they had Yanni Gourde on their 3rd line. He would, like, the 4th best forward on this team. He's not an insane talent but he knows how to produce, unlike the guys we've played in our top-6 this season.

When this team is fully 100% healthy they are on paper kinda close to a wildcard spot - but no team stays 100% healthy all year, and good teams are able to handle a little adversity and get wins. We can't. We play hard, we have some good players, but we don't have the talent or depth to handle any real teams.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wouldn’t say the Devils are done. Mathematically, the odds of making the playoffs in the East are extremely slim.

But for the sake of this teams future, the Devils aren’t going to just throw the towel this season. They’re going to want this team to play competitive games for as long as possible.

Playing competitive hockey into (and hopefully in) April is much more important to this team than another top 10 or 5 pick at this point.

This playoff race is far more locked up than it’s ever been this early through a season. We’re 7 back and Boston has 4 in hand. We're 14 back of Pittsburgh who has a game in hand and is still somehow in a WC spot despite having literally the best record in the league for the past 2 months. 8 of the top 12 teams in pt% are East It’s flat out done. The East was decided a long time ago

We could be playing competitive games in the sense they’re close and we beat some good teams but we won’t be playing competitive games in the sense of a playoff race

Last edited:
Reactions: guitarguyvic

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ubertalented is a weird word to use, no one is saying add Ovechkin, McDavid, Kucherov etc. We need to put scorers in scoring roles. There's nothing wrong with bottom-6 players as long as they're in the bottom-6. If you're one injury away from top-6 Vesey and Kuokkanen you're not a good team.

The only forwards on this roster that have any business playing in the top-6 of a good team are Hughes, Hischier, and Bratt. MAYBE Tatar on a fringe team. On a good team Zacha and Sharangovich don't make the top-6. If they move Mercer to wing he would be a good option but we don't have the luxury of enough center depth to be able to make that move.

Look at Tampa, they had Yanni Gourde on their 3rd line. He would, like, the 4th best forward on this team. He's not an insane talent but he knows how to produce, unlike the guys we've played in our top-6 this season.

When this team is fully 100% healthy they are on paper kinda close to a wildcard spot - but no team stays 100% healthy all year, and good teams are able to handle a little adversity and get wins. We can't. We play hard, we have some good players, but we don't have the talent or depth to handle any real teams.

Gourde was 2nd line in TB. Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman was the 2nd line

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This playoff race is far more locked up than it’s ever been this early through a season. We’re 7 back and Boston has 4 in hand. We're 14 back of Pittsburgh who has a game in hand and is still somehow in a WC spot despite having literally the best record in the league for the past 2 months. 8 of the top 12 teams in pt% are East It’s flat out done. The East was decided a long time ago

We could be playing competitive games in the sense they’re close and we beat some good teams but we won’t be playing competitive games in the sense of a playoff race

I agree with you. Devils likely need to pull off an insane run to get themselves into the race.

It’s still way more important for this team to win games and push for it then just give up and falter for another bottom five finish. All they can do at this point is try to win as many games as possible. It would really help the Devils if the Islanders get hot and do us some favors too.

Reactions: KovalchukFistPump

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree with you. Devils likely need to pull off an insane run to get themselves into the race.

It’s still way more important for this team to win games and push for it then just give up and falter for another bottom five finish. All they can do at this point is try to win as many games as possible. It would really help the Devils if the Islanders get hot and do us some favors too.

I really can't see us falling off and cratering completely. The main reason our record is this bad is goaltending. I don't want to say "it can't get worse" because things can always get worse but realistically I doubt the goaltending will be much worse if it even ends up being worse and the skaters have looked pretty alright recently.

Reactions: Bleedred

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Playoffs were always going to be a pipe dream and it's almost certainly not happening this year. Maybe with league average goaltending, we could go on a run. But we don't have that.

The "meaningful games" benchmark, which was deliberately chosen as a goal by Fitz, is still achievable. I don't see a basement finish with two underwhelming teams (Flyers, Jackets) and one bad one (Islanders).

Reactions: devilsblood

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Totally agree with your point on the whole (NJ needs more quality players), but just wanted to chime in on the Gourde point. He was TB's most used forward in the playoffs. By ice-time, the Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman line was really TB's 2nd line. And by Gourde's even-strength production, he was a fringe first-line player. And then you've got to factor in he played shutdown minutes and very effectively suppressed opposition offence.

Obviously, New Jersey needs more good players to push other guys down the lineup. But Gourde is/was simply a very good player. That's it. If he were dropped on the Devils today, I'd have no qualms if anyone argued he'd be their second-best forward.

Playoffs are far out of hand now. Time for Fitz to liquidate non-essential roster pieces in hopes of having more quality players in the future.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Totally agree with your point on the whole (NJ needs more quality players), but just wanted to chime in on the Gourde point. He was TB's most used forward in the playoffs. By ice-time, the Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman line was really TB's 2nd line. And by Gourde's even-strength production, he was a fringe first-line player. And then you've got to factor in he played shutdown minutes and very effectively suppressed opposition offence.

Obviously, New Jersey needs more good players to push other guys down the lineup. But Gourde is/was simply a very good player. That's it. If he were dropped on the Devils today, I'd have no qualms if anyone argued he'd be their second-best forward.

Playoffs are far out of hand now. Time for Fitz to liquidate non-essential roster pieces in hopes of having more quality players in the future.

*3rd best because Bratt and Jack are both definitely better but yeah he's just really good.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
*3rd best because Bratt and Jack are both definitely better but yeah he's just really good.

Yeah I'd say Bratt is pretty close. I was leaning Gourde because he's a center and typically plays tough minutes.

Speaking of Bratt, Fitz should definitely be trying to lock the kid up long-term, before he ends up with 70 points at the end of the season.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Like I get the math and stuff, I'm not dumb, but it's a lot more fun to root for the team while they still have a mathematical chance. Easier to market, too.

I totally get that there's a close to 0 chance of making the playoffs but I'm still going to root for it until there's an actual zero chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad