Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
He carried that horrendous team last year. He’s the only reason we didn’t not finish closer to Detroit’s level of bad. People were giving Nas way too much credit for the team winning when it was really just Blackwood played at a ridiculous level for about 2 months.

The defense is better than last years. There’s also another good goalie that we picked up that played in front of an even worse defense and put up solid numbers as well that will be splitting time with Blackwood, which will help him not get fatigued, which means there’s a higher probability of quality starts and more consistency.

blackwood had similar numbers to Hart who gets all tons of praise while he also
played on a vastly superior team compared to the shit show Blackwood had in front of him.

Another year in the league with an improved defense (though still not great, but still better than last years) in front of him there’s no reason he can’t put up better numbers, and being able to not be ran into the ground with Crawford being here who will help mentor him, as well as a good goalie coach, yea. Goaltending is the thing I’m not worried about at all with this team.

I like you positivity and I sincerely hope you are right. Time will tell this season for me, that's all.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Carried them where? I am not trying to be a wise guy. He was the best we had last year. However, this is a new season with higher expectations. Can he be number 1?

I hope so. It would be nice to put the Devils goalie issues to bed after Schneider.

What goalie issues?

Advanced stats simplify this as team that can't finish offensively and hemorrhages scoring chances defensively. Our save % is actually average on scoring chances, its just that we get outplayed so badly that eventually the extra shots turn into goals against.

Goaltending is the absolute least of our concerns. Asking it to steal wins is ignoring the real issues and hoping they can play way above what can be realistically expected.

I'm surprised this Blackwood narrative has even been entertained. He's one of the only aspects of this team that hasn't been a complete disappointment.

Reactions: Out of Business

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
What goalie issues?

Advanced stats simplify this as team that can't finish offensively and hemorrhages scoring chances defensively. Our save % is actually average on scoring chances, its just that we get outplayed so badly that eventually the extra shots turn into goals against.

Goaltending is the absolute least of our concerns. Asking it to steal wins is ignoring the real issues and hoping they can play way above what can be realistically expected.

I'm surprised this Blackwood narrative has even been entertained. He's one of the only aspects of this team that hasn't been a complete disappointment.

Thank you MauDevils, I agree with you 100% regarding the lack of Devils' offense. I was just pointing out that goaltending has been a problem for the Devils lately, not the biggest problem, however. I did qualify my comments somewhere that the goalie issues are because of the low scoring of the team. If you can't score then you need to stop them from scoring, Devils defense and goaltending had problems there as well, IMO.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Carried them where? I am not trying to be a wise guy. He was the best we had last year. However, this is a new season with higher expectations. Can he be number 1?

I hope so. It would be nice to put the Devils goalie issues to bed after Schneider.
Look his numbers for the last two months. The only reason they didn't fall to Detroit levels of bad was Blackwood. He was insanely good. If he can carry even 75% of that into next season with Crawford playing league average, they'll be better next year than this year.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Did you forget about Hughes? Last season he played with men, so he should be real good this year.
I’m sure Hughes will be better. I just don’t think he’s grown that much in several months. His size and strength were the biggest mark against him. He’ll never be a big man, however he definitely needs to get stronger. In saying that his transition into this season should be much easier.

Reactions: mdj12784

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m sure Hughes will be better. I just don’t think he’s grown that much in several months. His size and strength were the biggest mark against him. He’ll never be a big man, however he definitely needs to get stronger. In saying that his transition into this season should be much easier.
We last saw Jack play on 3/10/2020. He better be significantly bigger and stronger and ready to play. That is plenty of time improve physically.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I like you positivity and I sincerely hope you are right. Time will tell this season for me, that's all.

I mean, it not like he has to carry the team anywhere. This team isn't a contender. Sure, they will play like they want to win the Cup, but everyone up to the GM knows this isn't a contender next season. We need to see improvement from the 1OAs. We need to see some other youngsters grab the bull by the horns and earn spots. We need to see a structured game night in and night out and a consistent effort that makes the team hard to play against. Blackwood doesn't have to carry the team. He just needs to remain consistent and steady all year to show he is someone they can rely on going forward. He doesn't have to by Marty 2.0.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I don't know if you saw the photos of him from August working out, but he looks like he took a BIG step in addressing that area.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I disagree. I think his biggest problem was than he was completely clueless defensively. He didn't know where to be and was constantly pinned in his own zone. I think that was the biggest factor to him being taken off the top 2 lines, which led to bad offensive numbers. You also can't score if you don't have the puck.

Hopefully Lindy implements a simpler system and coaches him to properly follow it.

Reactions: Out of Business

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I disagree. I think his biggest problem was than he was completely clueless defensively. He didn't know where to be and was constantly pinned in his own zone. I think that was the biggest factor to him being taken off the top 2 lines, which led to bad offensive numbers. You also can't score if you don't have the puck.

Hopefully Lindy implements a simpler system and coaches him to properly follow it.
I would say it wasn't only the defensive zone.

Jack was clearly not ready for the step up from the Development program to the NHL. I think they did the kid a disservice throwing him into the league.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I would say it wasn't only the defensive zone.

Jack was clearly not ready for the step up from the Development program to the NHL. I think they did the kid a disservice throwing him into the league.
I disagree whole-heartedly

A disservice to Jack would have been if he was hurt badly or lost a major streak of confidence due to his small frame and poor play

However that wasnt the case and so I think people need to channel their inner 18 year old self and realize how incredible it was for Jack to be in the big league. Think about what it meant to him and the experiences he had that arent possible outside the league.

Not only did he have streaks of absolute brilliance and elite talent, he also got to learn far more about the NHL-style game than he ever could have thought of in college/Europe/etc.. One only needs to go back to Jack’s stint with the US team and hear his interviews. simply being in the locker room was huge for him and then realize he played over sixty NHL games.

This is such valuable experience for an 18 year old its unmeasurable. Perhaps we got lucky he didnt get seriously hurt but I for one think his skating was always going to be strong enough to avoid major damage. Jacks desire to be greater was only pushed further forward by the NHL stint, not backward.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Anybody do any point projections yet?
Don’t we need to know how many games they are playing?

Until I see a NHL season schedule I feel like the clay is wet on this team. I don’t believe desperate cap moves happen until the season is a real thing.

Vegas made a move to sign AP and Lou traded Toews because he filed for arbitration, but it’s been a waiting game for everyone else. I know everyone is focused on Tampa for obvious reasons but a several teams, Arizona for example, also needs to make moves and haven’t yet either.

Reactions: TBF1972 and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Don’t we need to know how many games they are playing?

Until I see a NHL season schedule I feel like the clay is wet on this team. I don’t believe desperate cap moves happen until the season is a real thing.

Vegas made a move to sign AP and Lou traded Toews because he filed for arbitration, but it’s been a waiting game for everyone else. I know everyone is focused on Tampa for obvious reasons but a several teams, Arizona for example, also needs to make moves and haven’t yet either.

Arizona is over the cap but they have Marian Hossa to put on LTIR and they'll be fine, they have a full roster complement and can even add a forward.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Are the Devils done with quality pickups during the offseason? If yes, another year of the same with hopefully a slight improvement. Defense got slightly better, goaltending is a questionmark but better without Cory and the offense, well, that's another story. Help the offense, Tom
i worry less about the offense than the d.

there are a lot of young players and some will improve. there is potential for big jumps in a number of players. there is a need to add some size and physicality to the front line. bastian, mcleod, foote, maltsev and zetterlund are the internal options. but i can see a need to add someone from outside.
the d looks solid on paper, but is also paper thin and won't withstand many injuries and with murray and kulikov as the top4 options on the left side. there is a lot more depth needed to get through a season and don't depend simply on luck.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad