Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I will keep repeating myself; I am not convinced that Blackwood can carry the team with a slightly improved defense and a low scoring offense. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
I agree. I feel the sample size on Blackwood is a bit small right now. However, I chose to be optimistic that he can continue with his better play, and feel Crawford is probably the best backup we could reasonably gotten our hands on. For me, this year is make or break for Blackwood. If he does well, I'll be convinced he's the real deal.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sorry, I am not convinced that Blackwood can carry the starting job with a less than but slightly more improved defence in front of him. I hope he proves me wrong.

so he did it with a bad defense last year, but you don't think he can do it with a slightly better defense this year?

That...doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Darkauron

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Defense is still not good, but it will be substantially better than the AHL defense they rolled out last season.

How so? We swapped Greene and Vatanen for Murray and Kulikov.

That would be okay, except those two guys have averaged 50 games a year over the last 4 seasons.

The hope is Ty Smith provides the big upgrade, but I need to see that first. He was so bad last year that he managed to play his way out of being an absolute lock to make the team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What did he do last year?

what did Blackwood do last year...? Did you watch any of the games, or?

He had a .915 SV% and was the only reason the team was winning any games the 2nd half of the year?

There were only 7 goalies who played at least 40 games and had a .915 SV% or better last year. The Devils now have 2 of them on their roster.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
what did Blackwood do last year...? Did you watch any of the games, or?

He had a .915 SV% and was the only reason the team was winning any games the 2nd half of the year?

There were only 7 goalies who played at least 40 games and had a .915 SV% or better last year. The Devils now have 2 of them on their roster.

I hope he has a good season and future.

Reactions: mdj12784

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i think it’s fine to consider goaltending a question mark. truthfully, with this extended break, goaltending will be a question mark for 80% of goalies in the league. how will it affect a young goalie like blackwood? how will it affect an old goalie like crawford? i’m fairly optimistic, but we’ll see.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Coming into this season I would say goaltending is probably our best situated position.

That said, I do see the point of those who question Blackwood's long-term outlook. Its easier to look decent on a bad team during garbage time... it's easy to string together a couple of weeks of good games for any player...it gets difficult when you become the go-to guy and are asked to perform at the "couple of week" level for 7 months.

Good thing is I don't believe Blackwood will be relied upon to be the go-to guy with Crawford available...but it sure would be nice if he played his way into being "the guy" this season.

I think you are spot on about this but at least MBW provides some historical basis to suggest he’s capable as opposed to a guy like Butcher who you watch play and wonder how he can succeed at all. MBW is back strong quick and has sharp instincts most of the time. Yes he gets out of position sometimes and has nights when he looks terrible. If the team improves amd he doesn’t have to stop 35 of 36 shots to have a chance of winning it would help also. I’m cautiously optimistic and hopefully a new goalie coach helps MBW become a bit more consistent. In today’s NHL if he can be a 45 game starter that’s pretty good as a foundation for goaltending.

Reactions: Out of Business

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How so? We swapped Greene and Vatanen for Murray and Kulikov.

That would be okay, except those two guys have averaged 50 games a year over the last 4 seasons.

The hope is Ty Smith provides the big upgrade, but I need to see that first. He was so bad last year that he managed to play his way out of being an absolute lock to make the team.
Everyone who thought Smith was a lock last off season because he looked great in his first training camp should look at how many mid 1st round defensemen play in the NHL D+2. Dahlin, Hughes and Boqvist were the only defensemen from the defense heavy 2018 draft to make the NHL. Boqvist was able to start in the AHL, Sandin got some playing time but he’s been allowed to be on the Marlies for two seasons and Lou said outright he kept Dobson up because he needed him for defensive depth. (And Dobson averaged 13 minutes in 34 games.). You’re right, people can’t go in looking for Smith to be a savior, but I think everyone here believes his overall development is the important thing anyway.

I totally agree that losing two key defensemen is a big deal and losing Greene will hurt our PK while losing Vatanen will hurt our PP. Vatanen only played 47 games last season, he didn’t suit up in Carolina, while Kulikov played 51 and Murray played 27 so Murray lost the Mr Glass competition last season but Sami didn’t exactly win it. In 2018-19, Sami played 50, Murray played 56 and Kulikov played 57. (I’m guessing this is why no one is giving Sami any good offers btw.)

Overall GAR isn’t kind to defensive defenseman because but Evolving Wild separates GAR by even strength defense and offense and special teams. If you look at Kulikov they’re all negative, even penalty killing (the Jets PK is 22nd tho) and he’s an NHL even strength offensive black hole, but his even strength defense is a +2.8. That’s the best on the team, better than say, DeMelo (+1.4), who does do mildly better in other categories to make up for it. (The Jets overall team defense is brutal, they go all offense with very young forwards and let their stud goalie bail them out.)

I point this out because while Even Strength Defense GAR isn’t an exact science it does help judge defensive defenseman. Kulikov was +2.8 and Jets fans were saying he was solid defensively in lesser shut down role and that checks out. Jack Johnson’s even strength defense GAR was -3.5, the only other big negative on the team being Schultz with -1.7, and Pens fans wanted to throw him into a volcano which also checks out.

Until we know how much of a season we will actually have I’m not too bent out of shape over these rentals. The dream is to trade for a more long term solution on defense but other than Schmidt we didn’t even miss out on any other actual trades since we didn’t have the assets for Toews or Zadorov.

edit: This defense is going to be a mess but that’s hard to avoid with so much turnover too. It’s going to be a new system with new players.

Last edited:

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Sorry, I am not convinced that Blackwood can carry the starting job with a less than but slightly more improved defence in front of him. I hope he proves me wrong.
He carried that horrendous team last year. He’s the only reason we didn’t not finish closer to Detroit’s level of bad. People were giving Nas way too much credit for the team winning when it was really just Blackwood played at a ridiculous level for about 2 months.

The defense is better than last years. There’s also another good goalie that we picked up that played in front of an even worse defense and put up solid numbers as well that will be splitting time with Blackwood, which will help him not get fatigued, which means there’s a higher probability of quality starts and more consistency.

blackwood had similar numbers to Hart who gets all tons of praise while he also
played on a vastly superior team compared to the shit show Blackwood had in front of him.

Another year in the league with an improved defense (though still not great, but still better than last years) in front of him there’s no reason he can’t put up better numbers, and being able to not be ran into the ground with Crawford being here who will help mentor him, as well as a good goalie coach, yea. Goaltending is the thing I’m not worried about at all with this team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
To be fair, goalies are very fickle year to year aside from the top guys in their prime. But goaltending is much improved on last year

Blackwood has shown us over the last two years, he puts together stellar performances when he has adequate rest. Crawford gives us the ability to give him rest and provides an option that can comfortably take over for a bit if Blackwood struggles.

Defense on paper is even, but this defense is built a lot better than last years. We swapped undersized defenders in Greene and Vatanen for defensive guys with size and reach in Murray and Kulikov. The last two compliment Severson, Subban, Butcher, and eventually Smith way better than Greene and Vatanen did.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He carried that horrendous team last year. He’s the only reason we didn’t not finish closer to Detroit’s level of bad. People were giving Nas way too much credit for the team winning when it was really just Blackwood played at a ridiculous level for about 2 months.

The defense is better than last years. There’s also another good goalie that we picked up that played in front of an even worse defense and put up solid numbers as well that will be splitting time with Blackwood, which will help him not get fatigued, which means there’s a higher probability of quality starts and more consistency.

blackwood had similar numbers to Hart who gets all tons of praise while he also
played on a vastly superior team compared to the shit show Blackwood had in front of him.

Another year in the league with an improved defense (though still not great, but still better than last years) in front of him there’s no reason he can’t put up better numbers, and being able to not be ran into the ground with Crawford being here who will help mentor him, as well as a good goalie coach, yea. Goaltending is the thing I’m not worried about at all with this team.
Starting at the end of January it was definitely goaltending. Blackwood had a hot streak in February including 2 shutouts and he only lost once in overtime 1-2. Then Cory had an abbreviated version of his spring zombie return with 3-0-1 record including a shutout.

Good teams obviously can win games even when their goaltenders are scuffling and don’t need need them to keep games to 2 goals or less for a win.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Goaltending is the least of my concerns to be honest.
Two very capable players with one that has a proven track record of being able to handle a starters role (Crawford ) if need be.
I’d be happy with a 50-50 split of starts. Maybe not an exact start one game , sit one game split , but ride the hot goalie and play the other on back to backs if one is tired and try to even out the starts throughout the season .

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
He carried a shittier team last year...

Carried them where? I am not trying to be a wise guy. He was the best we had last year. However, this is a new season with higher expectations. Can he be number 1?

I hope so. It would be nice to put the Devils goalie issues to bed after Schneider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad