Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He apparently turned down 3 x 4.25 from the sens and they turned down his qualifying offer to let him test the market. Backfired big time

Yes he had a very very fair offer and got burnt . He totally misread the market.

There are so many possible options out there that I hope we don’t rush and sign any players until teams like Tampa find ways to get out of cap trouble.
I still think we can get a player as good or better than Duclair for excellent value from Tampa or Islanders or ?? team forced to move someone .

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Are the Devils done with quality pickups during the offseason? If yes, another year of the same with hopefully a slight improvement. Defense got slightly better, goaltending is a questionmark but better without Cory and the offense, well, that's another story. Help the offense, Tom

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Are the Devils done with quality pickups during the offseason? If yes, another year of the same with hopefully a slight improvement. Defense got slightly better, goaltending is a questionmark but better without Cory and the offense, well, that's another story. Help the offense, Tom
Did you forget about Hughes? Last season he played with men, so he should be real good this year.

Reactions: Bankers Box

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yes he had a very very fair offer and got burnt . He totally misread the market.

There are so many possible options out there that I hope we don’t rush and sign any players until teams like Tampa find ways to get out of cap trouble.
I still think we can get a player as good or better than Duclair for excellent value from Tampa or Islanders or ?? team forced to move someone .

I wonder where he got the idea that he could get 5x5 after a single halfway decent season...

ACC64161-5B9E-4360-8A0B-7B774FC59384.jpeg

Reactions: Guttersniped

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

goaltending is a question mark? They have one of the best tandems in the league. Defense is still not good, but it will be substantially better than the AHL defense they rolled out last season. Offense relies on improvement from the 1OAs and one or two rookies stepping up, but it will probably be weak this year too.

Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How is goaltending a question mark? I mean it this is how it is when you don’t have Brodeur, mortal goalies can have off years but Crawford is a legit UFA goaltending pick up.

I guess I’m over the moon because Cory was obviously done last off-season and it wasn’t a question mark it was just simply letting Schneider sabotage the season again rather than figuring out how to get rid of that contract. Also, Domingue managed to be statistically worse than Cory and Cory hit rock bottom last season.

If goaltending doesn’t murder our season like it did the last two years that’s a big plus right there.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean, it's a question mark in that Crawford will be 36 by the time the next season starts, and with goalies you never know when the dropoff is coming. But that's looking for the worst case scenario. He's been good the last few years, so there's no reason to think he'll just go off a cliff (barring injuries anyway).

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I got a chuckle out of this as I am drinking my coffee. The author wrote an article about which prospects he thought should get the open F spots. He thought Seney should start in Bingo and Quest was the first commenter telling him he made a mistake. Gotta love QforS.

Evaluating the Devils’ Internal Options to Fill Spots at Forward

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I got a chuckle out of this as I am drinking my coffee. The author wrote an article about which prospects he thought should get the open F spots. He thought Seney should start in Bingo and Quest was the first commenter telling him he made a mistake. Gotta love QforS.

One of the more stunning developments since the pandemic and movement of many prospects to Europe is the emergence of Sharangovich. I would not have predicted that in a million years. Guy was well under a half point per game in the AHL, and might have now played himself into getting a serious look on the Devils. Before Covid I probably would not have placed him in our top 25 prospects, just seemed like a minor leaguer.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Thanks for pointing that out. Whether it’s Seney himself or a friend or relative you have to enjoy Quest’s unbridled over the top exuberance. It’s so disproportionate to Seney’s public perception. That it’s just so much fun. I wish Quest posted more. The hyperbole is great. Remember best Devils draft pick since whenever and a better offensive prospect than Hughes? I really enjoyed that. Glad to see no website with public comments is safe.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
One of the more stunning developments since the pandemic and movement of many prospects to Europe is the emergence of Sharangovich. I would not have predicted that in a million years. Guy was well under a half point per game in the AHL, and might have now played himself into getting a serious look on the Devils. Before Covid I probably would not have placed him in our top 25 prospects, just seemed like a minor leaguer.

He was coming on in 2020 - he had 14 points in his last 18 games in Binghamton plus he scored a big shootout winner. He had 41 shots on goal over that time as well.

That said, I would be surprised if he comes back over - he's competing with 3 or 4 other guys for whatever his spot in the NHL would be, plus the AHL season is not guaranteed to happen.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
goaltending is a question mark? They have one of the best tandems in the league. Defense is still not good, but it will be substantially better than the AHL defense they rolled out last season. Offense relies on improvement from the 1OAs and one or two rookies stepping up, but it will probably be weak this year too.

Sorry, I am not convinced that Blackwood can carry the starting job with a less than but slightly more improved defence in front of him. I hope he proves me wrong.

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ

Im just going to say it. QFS is Brett Seney, and he only contributes to this board to pump himself up, which is kind of annoying. On that page, he throws our previous goalie tandem of Schneider and Kinkaid under the bus. Hes not wrong, but you dont talk shit about team mates like that. Ive soured on the guy big time. He is probably a locker room douche as well.

Reactions: Darkauron

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
How is goaltending a question mark? I mean it this is how it is when you don’t have Brodeur, mortal goalies can have off years but Crawford is a legit UFA goaltending pick up.

I guess I’m over the moon because Cory was obviously done last off-season and it wasn’t a question mark it was just simply letting Schneider sabotage the season again rather than figuring out how to get rid of that contract. Also, Domingue managed to be statistically worse than Cory and Cory hit rock bottom last season.

If goaltending doesn’t murder our season like it did the last two years that’s a big plus right there.

I will keep repeating myself; I am not convinced that Blackwood can carry the team with a slightly improved defense and a low scoring offense. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
I will keep repeating myself; I am not convinced that Blackwood can carry the team with a slightly improved defense and a low scoring offense. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Ruffs system should lead to more offense. Im also not convinced Blackwood is "the guy" for the next decade. Weve seen so many young "flash in the pan" goalies over the last 5 years in the NHL. I think he did a good job on a bad team last year, and Im hopeful for his future, but he hasnt established himself as a true #1 yet IMO.

Reactions: Maine Fan

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I can understand the concern but at this point MBW has played well for the rough equivalent of two seasons. He is better now than he was when he first came up to NJ and presumably he can continue to improve on some things. I don’t think he’s a finished product. He doesn’t have to play 80% of the games hopefully. If Crawford can play 40-45% of the games decently that takes a load of pressure off MBW and he also gets more rest. It’s not a guarantee but I think you can make a strong case that there is reason for optimism at least.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I can understand the concern but at this point MBW has played well for the rough equivalent of two seasons. He is better now than he was when he first came up to NJ and presumably he can continue to improve on some things. I don’t think he’s a finished product. He doesn’t have to play 80% of the games hopefully. If Crawford can play 40-45% of the games decently that takes a load of pressure off MBW and he also gets more rest. It’s not a guarantee but I think you can make a strong case that there is reason for optimism at least.
Coming into this season I would say goaltending is probably our best situated position.

That said, I do see the point of those who question Blackwood's long-term outlook. Its easier to look decent on a bad team during garbage time... it's easy to string together a couple of weeks of good games for any player...it gets difficult when you become the go-to guy and are asked to perform at the "couple of week" level for 7 months.

Good thing is I don't believe Blackwood will be relied upon to be the go-to guy with Crawford available...but it sure would be nice if he played his way into being "the guy" this season.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad