Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I agree. I feel the sample size on Blackwood is a bit small right now. However, I chose to be optimistic that he can continue with his better play, and feel Crawford is probably the best backup we could reasonably gotten our hands on. For me, this year is make or break for Blackwood. If he does well, I'll be convinced he's the real deal.
i could see a platoon of crawford and blackwood, where they share the workload evenly, unless one of them is really hot or really cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
Based on Fitz’s interviews regarding internal competition, I bet he sets a high ceiling for max games played next year and let’s the two battle for the net. I’d rather not see a 41/41 game split. Whoever’s the best in practice or recent games gets the start

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Based on Fitz’s interviews regarding internal competition, I bet he sets a high ceiling for max games played next year and let’s the two battle for the net. I’d rather not see a 41/41 game split. Whoever’s the best in practice or recent games gets the start

oh, I don't think we'll see a 41/41 split because I doubt we have 82 games. if the schedule is heavily condensed, i'm good with a 50/50 split. losing one goalie or the other due to injury would be pretty devastating.

Reactions: nugg and Guadana

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Our defense going into 2020 is definitely better than it was going into 2019. Murray is is the same style of smooth steady defensive D Greene was, and Kulikov while not great is still a pretty big upgrade over Mueller who is a replacement level player. I am assuming Smith makes the team out of camp but based on Fitz's comments I think the plan is to start him in Bingo unless he absolutely breaks the door down.

I think adjustments to the coaching staff will really help the defense. Guys like Subban and Severson were put into roles that really didn't fit their skill sets, I'm hoping a fresh set of eyes will help straighten things out. Lindy gets the most out of his players and I think the D will really benefit from his experience and situational management skills.

Offensively Johnsson is a pretty huge upgrade to Simmonds. I think people don't realize how much of an anchor Simmonds was to the team at ES last year - great dude, strong leader, tough and physical, but the guy just simply can't play hockey anymore.

But really it's going to come down to how the kids progress. Can Boqvist be a top-6 player, has Jack improved his game enough to hold down a line without babysitting, can McLeod finally stick and be a positive contributor, can Merkley and Kuokkanen be more than just warm bodies, etc.

Either way I think this is pretty clearly a transitional year for the team. The cavalry will be coming in 2021 when Holtz, Foote, and Smith are all full timers. This season is just a filler season IMO. Maybe if the kids take some big steps and the goaltending gets hot we might push to be a bubble team but IMO this will be a pretty boring developmental season. I just hope nobody gets hurt.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm not too confident in the defense at all, I think it's still going to be weak. With Greene and Vats gone and when Murray goes down, not if, but when, it's going to be a mess.

We'll have to throw Carrick in there or a call up of White, Tennyson or whatever other fodder is down there. I kinda wanted to keep Merman around. We're looking at Butcher on the second pairing and Smith is still an unknown, I do like the idea of him being paired with Kulikov though. People can shit on Greene all they want but he will be missed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not too confident in the defense at all, I think it's still going to be weak. With Greene and Vats gone and when Murray goes down, not if, but when, it's going to be a mess.

We'll have to throw Carrick in there or a call up of White, Tennyson or whatever other fodder is down there. I kinda wanted to keep Merman around. We're looking at Butcher on the second pairing and Smith is still an unknown, I do like the idea of him being paired with Kulikov though. People can shit on Greene all they want but he will be missed.
Greene may have been one of the most underrated and under appreciated players in Devils history.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If Smith is destined for Bingo , Fitz is still getting another D for sure then. If the plan is to not have him penciled in a spot on the big club for sure... they need at least one more D that is NHL ready .

Even if Smith makes the big club , no way that they go into the season with what we have so far. With 2 injury prone D in Murray and Kul. , we would have to call up someone that probably wont be ready and will get caved in .
Maybe Bahl or someone else surprises , but I don't want to rush any of the young D.
I am still hoping that we can somehow get a D like Sergachev Cernak Dunn Hanifin etc.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If Smith is destined for Bingo , Fitz is still getting another D for sure then. If the plan is to not have him penciled in a spot on the big club for sure... they need at least one more D that is NHL ready .

Even if Smith makes the big club , no way that they go into the season with what we have so far. With 2 injury prone D in Murray and Kul. , we would have to call up someone that probably wont be ready and will get caved in .
Maybe Bahl or someone else surprises , but I don't want to rush any of the young D.
I am still hoping that we can somehow get a D like Sergachev Cernak Dunn Hanifin etc.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think this defense is pretty much set. There really isn't any room for another NHL defender?

Murray - Severson
Butcher - Subban
Kulikov - Carrick - Maybe Smith

Smith
Bahl
Jacobs
White

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People can shit on Greene all they want but he will be missed.

Yeah honestly I think replacing Greene is an underrated part of the defense equation in the immediate future. You HOPE Murray can be what later-career Greene was (questionable) and as durable (highly unlikely). He's almost certainly gonna be the one to take his PK/first pairing minutes, they aren't putting Ty Smith or Butcher out there in those spots. Maybe Kulikov gets some PK time, but not first pairing time.

Reactions: glenwo2 and JK3

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yeah honestly I think replacing Greene is an underrated part of the defense equation in the immediate future. You HOPE Murray can be what later-career Greene was (questionable) and as durable (highly unlikely). He's almost certainly gonna be the one to take his PK/first pairing minutes, they aren't putting Ty Smith or Butcher out there in those spots. Maybe Kulikov gets some PK time, but not first pairing time.

One of the most underrated attributes of any athlete is durability (Severson is pretty good in this regard too). You could always count on him being there and playing any role we needed, it's too bad we couldn't find another D to bump him down a pair in his old age.

I think Kulikov will get plenty of PK time, I'm just worried about the domino effect if Murray goes down, hopefully he can stay healthy, that would be a massive win for us.

Reactions: glenwo2

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Murray, when healthy, is an extremely good defender based on the statistics and analytics that were shown upon his acquisition.

The problem is, of course, his inability to avoid injury. The best ability is availability as @JK3 similarly cited, so him staying 100% could be a huge factor in where our season goes.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think bringing in Murray was a long term solution, more of a "stop the bleeding" kind of move. Murray is only signed for one more year and it's not wise to give out a big contract extension to a guy with such an injury history. And with the super clearance price we got him there's no sunk cost, we could easily let him walk if the numbers don't look right.

That being said, we're kind of desperate for defense. Maybe Fitz can make it work.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
I think we need 1 more forward. In net we are solid, defense is okay I guess (could be better) but for our lineup this is what we got. We got 2 massive question marks & whoever centers that 3rd line needs a little talent to work with. We can't have another Simmonds situation.
Bratt - Nico - Gusev
Johnsson-Hughes/Zacha-Palmieri
????? - Zacha/Hughes - ?????
Wood - Zajac - Merkley/Some random

Reactions: Guadana and Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think we need 1 more forward. In net we are solid, defense is okay I guess (could be better) but for our lineup this is what we got. We got 2 massive question marks & whoever centers that 3rd line needs a little talent to work with. We can't have another Simmonds situation.
Bratt - Nico - Gusev
Johnsson-Hughes/Zacha-Palmieri
????? - Zacha/Hughes - ?????
Wood - Zajac - Merkley/Some random

My guess is that they aren’t totally done on defense. I think Fitz is hoping that another buy low opportunity presents itself. If one doesn’t I’d expect the team to sign one more vet defender. I’d be surprised if the current group is actually

Murray - Sevs
Butcher - Subban
Kulikov - Carrick
Smith - Smith

If Smith isn’t ready you don’t have an extra NHL defender and Carrick is borderline to begin with. At some point vets will have to take what is offered even if they want more now.

Reactions: Guadana and Nubmer6

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If I thought Butcher could in anyway bring back something I would say trade him and figure out that hole, gamble on the fact you can throw in Smith (or one of our other kids,) a trade or worst comes to worst a depth D that's still floating out there. If next year is a wash, and you think Smith is going to come up eventually anyways, might as well send off Butch while he still has some meat on his bones.

But with this market, I honestly don't even know if Butcher has any value.

Reactions: My3Sons

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Why did the Devils not sign Mermis?

He only played 10 games but was the 2nd best defenseman on the team in those 10 games. (Second to Severson. Subban was third best in that stretch)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think we "need" anything right now outside of a stable system and improvement from the young core. We aren't a forward or defenseman away from being contenders. We just need to have enough veteran presence, leadership and respectable skill to allow the progression of the kids. I think we have that now. Sure, it's not a contending team at the moment, but it's one that is good enough to allow for development.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

1-F7-E24-C9-5-AA9-4928-AF46-C5-F87198-E163.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad