Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't really have much interest in signing Greene tbh

I think Murray and Kulikov (both lefties) means that ship has sailed

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Let's skip the, would we, should we, would he, arguments and just for arguments sake pretend Greene signed with the Devils this year. Would he get the C? Or even a letter for that matter?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Andy would be okay to have around to rotate in for Smith or Murray (who will probably need time off to work on his back). Especially if it’s a weird condensed season, we will need bodies. And Andy could probably fetch a pick again at the deadline.

Reactions: glenwo2

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Let's skip the, would we, should we, would he, arguments and just for arguments sake pretend Greene signed with the Devils this year. Would he get the C? Or even a letter for that matter?
I wouldn't give him the "C", you don't know how much he has left and plus it be best if he focused on just the ice and not the locker room.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Greene is more than likely skating at the Devils facility because he and his family are settled in New Jersey. And since the school year has already started, I’d bet his family will stay in New Jersey the whole year, no matter who signs him, if anyone does sign him.

I thought Lou said a couple weeks ago that Greene would probably be re-signed by the Islanders shortly?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Greene is more than likely skating at the Devils facility because he and his family are settled in New Jersey. And since the school year has already started, I’d bet his family will stay in New Jersey the whole year, no matter who signs him, if anyone does sign him.

I thought Lou said a couple weeks ago that Greene would probably be re-signed by the Islanders shortly?

Long Island sucks to get to from Jersey, if Lou really convinced him to do a whole ass season over there, I'm impressed. Whatever season they end up playing is probably going to be compressed, and we have two injury prone defensemen. You sign Greene to a cheap contract without a second thought, and if he wants to go back to LI for the playoffs, just take another pick from Lou.

Reactions: glenwo2

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The well known rumor is that Greene, along with Schneider and Martin, have a handshake agreement with Lou but they won’t be officially signed until the RFAs and NYI cap is settled.

Carrack is not going to be our 6th defenseman, it’s the only thing I’m relatively sure of. Both coaches didn’t trust him last season, he had 14:25 ATOI in 29 games and barely saw any special team use. He was signed for 1.5m and Mermis was a UFA so we lose out there but Connor seems destined for the press box.

If there was definitely an AHL I wouldn’t have any problem Smith starting out there, particularly if we added another defenseman. I’m guessing they pick up one more unless they are very confident about Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brodeur

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The well known rumor is that Greene, along with Schneider and Martin, have a handshake agreement with Lou but they won’t be officially signed until the RFAs and NYI cap is settled.

Carrack is not going to be our 6th defenseman, it’s the only thing I’m relatively sure of. Both coaches didn’t trust him last season, he had 14:25 ATOI in 29 games and barely saw any special team use. He was signed for 1.5m and Mermis was a UFA so we lose out there but Connor is seems destined for the press box.

If there was definitely an AHL I wouldn’t have any problem Smith starting, particularly if we added another defenseman. I’m guessing they pick up one more unless they are very confident about Smith.

Okay, I was wondering why Schneider was never formally signed. That makes sense.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No interest in Greene. He's still got a bit left and he would be coming in with a new head coach, but sometimes you've got to move on.

I think he will sign with the Islanders - I don't see why Lou wouldn't do it yet, but I guess time being on your side, etc.. I think when Rolston played out there for a year, he kept his house in NJ and had an apartment on LI and would commute back to see his family when he got a chance. Could be wrong there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why did the Devils not sign Mermis?

He only played 10 games but was the 2nd best defenseman on the team in those 10 games. (Second to Severson. Subban was third best in that stretch)

I think they just wanted a different mix at LD. Mermis played alright in his callup, but I don't know if I would have bet on that continuing. We had to make some room at the AHL level for the incoming kids, so Mermis just got squeezed out. He got a cheap one way deal with Minnesota but perhaps the Devils weren't sure they could commit 700K to somebody who might not crack the top 7.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'm not too confident in the defense at all, I think it's still going to be weak. With Greene and Vats gone and when Murray goes down, not if, but when, it's going to be a mess.

We'll have to throw Carrick in there or a call up of White, Tennyson or whatever other fodder is down there. I kinda wanted to keep Merman around. We're looking at Butcher on the second pairing and Smith is still an unknown, I do like the idea of him being paired with Kulikov though. People can shit on Greene all they want but he will be missed.
if you want a shot at the first overall, make tennyson a permanent.

Reactions: JK3

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Murray, when healthy, is an extremely good defender based on the statistics and analytics that were shown upon his acquisition.

The problem is, of course, his inability to avoid injury. The best ability is availability as @JK3 similarly cited, so him staying 100% could be a huge factor in where our season goes.
i think it would be smart to have 4 lhd on the active roster, who can play regular nhl shifts. obviously to have replacement, when injuries occur. but also to lessen the workload on kulikov and murray. rest them from time to time when healthy to lessen the stress on their bodies and avoid injuries.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
My guess is that they aren’t totally done on defense. I think Fitz is hoping that another buy low opportunity presents itself. If one doesn’t I’d expect the team to sign one more vet defender. I’d be surprised if the current group is actually

Murray - Sevs
Butcher - Subban
Kulikov - Carrick
Smith - Smith

If Smith isn’t ready you don’t have an extra NHL defender and Carrick is borderline to begin with. At some point vets will have to take what is offered even if they want more now.
i would give ben hutton a long hard look. he has experience in various roles and showed some ability. he also has good size.
if the team wants an alternative for carrick at rhd, they can opt for steady jan rutta or a reclamation project like madison bowey.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If I thought Butcher could in anyway bring back something I would say trade him and figure out that hole, gamble on the fact you can throw in Smith (or one of our other kids,) a trade or worst comes to worst a depth D that's still floating out there. If next year is a wash, and you think Smith is going to come up eventually anyways, might as well send off Butch while he still has some meat on his bones.

But with this market, I honestly don't even know if Butcher has any value.
butcher at nearly 4m has negative value. you might be able to trade him to buffalo for miller.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I'm very excited for the season to start.

I really think this team is going to make the playoffs. We have a lot more offensive depth right now than ever before. Its not about just having 1 star forward, there are many guys on this team that can score and others that can steal lineup spots. And if injuries come up, there are players who can fill in.

The goaltending situation is drastically better with Crawford and Wedgewood.

The defense is really the only concern, but IMO a high octane offense with good goaltending can, in my opinion, propel the team to an 8th seed.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We talk about various positions that need improvement but the reality is this team invested a large chunk of their future in 2 centers with #1 overall selections and everything hinges upon their improvement. Not just "improvement" but significant improvement because what we've seen to-date is not going to cut it.

I sometimes feel like certain discussions of defense, goaltending or random wings are diversionary from the most glaring issue - That is the players who should be making a more significant impact simply haven't.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
We talk about various positions that need improvement but the reality is this team invested a large chunk of their future in 2 centers with #1 overall selections and everything hinges upon their improvement. Not just "improvement" but significant improvement because what we've seen to-date is not going to cut it.

I sometimes feel like certain discussions of defense, goaltending or random wings are diversionary from the most glaring issue - That is the players who should be making a more significant impact simply haven't.

Isn't this almost exactly what Fitz said?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I can agree with that. The talk of Nico getting the C is a little absurd to me, honestly. He's only had one brief stretch of truly leading this team like an elite talent and that was in the immediate aftermath of Hall leaving.

While I kind of admire Jack's stubbornness and experimentation, you hope he takes his medicine and adjusts out of the immaturity to his game. Doing more by doing less or some other old man saying.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't know? Did he?
if not it seems pretty obvious. we're also hinging on macblack being good, though i guess if D is shored up and we have a good system, even an average NHL goalie will work in this era

surrounding them with better talent and a good system should hopefully help them improve. I know a lot of people disagree but i think Nico is solidly a top 6 C. Jack should be, but jury is still out.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Just spitballing, it'll be interesting to see how we're going to deploy these guys.

Bratt - Nico - Palms/Gusev
Johnsson - Hughes - Gusev/Palmieri
Boqvist/Kuokkanen - Zajac - Merkley
Wood - Zacha - McLeod/Bastian

Johnsson will probably be effective anywhere, with Hughes and Goose that line is pretty small though, maybe put Palms there.
I can't wait till we get Foote and Holtz up here, bigger guys that can shoot, that will really transform our lineup.
Bratt - Zacha - Gusev was good down the stretch but it blows up all the other lines and drops Hughes to the 3rd line. I'm still down on Zacha, don't know where to put him, he did move up when we moved Hughes to wing.
I still don't see Zajac giving up his 3rd line duties any time soon, I think Merkley is a good fit there as well.
Hopefully Boqvist can step in somewhere in the top 6 in the future, not sure what we have with Kuokkanen though.
That fourth line is big and can skate, they could cause some havoc. I don't want Wood anywhere near the to 6.
Bastian intrigues me, he looked good during his call up but that was a long time ago. I hope he could carve out a poor mans power forward type role.

Reactions: Out of Business

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
if not it seems pretty obvious. we're also hinging on macblack being good, though i guess if D is shored up and we have a good system, even an average NHL goalie will work in this era

surrounding them with better talent and a good system should hopefully help them improve. I know a lot of people disagree but i think Nico is solidly a top 6 C. Jack should be, but jury is still out.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that...I think the rift is whether or not that is good enough.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013

There's no way Hughes is not going to be a top 6 player. I still think he will be better than Hischier and I do believe he will easily become a star player. Hughes simply was too young and underdeveloped both physically and mentally to get into the league at 18 and dominate. But the talent is clearly there and its just much more dynamic offensively than Hischier. I mean you look at Kakko, who played on a better team, is 6'3 200 lbs, and look at his play and point production last year. I think Kakko will turn into a good player but it really emphasizes the point of not looking too into the point production of 18 years olds.

Look at how poor of a situation Hughes got into where the team was in total disarray before he could ever get going and he never had consistent linemates or a system that worked offensively to play under. Look at the level of talent that his brother has offensively as a defenseman who gets to play in a much better system and was never seen by scouts as anywhere near his younger brother.

This is no Nail Yakupov. I remember Yakupov doing nothing impressive in the WJC and never showcasing anything impressive in the NHL. Hughes is the opposite, he has a level of talent and vision that I don't think anyone in the league has besides Mackinnon and McDavid. I'm not saying he will be at their level in the next year or two, but he clearly has that potential and his only deficit in my mind is his goal scoring and shooting abilities which must improve to get to their point totals yearly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Shero essentially said something along the lines of he’s not committing salary and term to players until Hughes/Hischier show they’re ready to take us to the next step.

Likewise, I would also imagine that extends to Severson/Smith on defense and Blackwood in goal. Basically those five are going to be the ones that drive the team to take the next step. This off-season was moreso trying to put them all into the best situations to succeed. Crawford for Blackwood, Murray & Kulikov for Severson & Smith, and Johnsson for another solid top nine forward.

Personally, I think there’s still going to be one more veteran acquisition on the cheap. Someone like Granlund could make sense on a cheap deal capable of playing a variety of roles up and down the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad