Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just don't think we're at the point where we should be giving up 4 1st round picks for an $11+ million winger...unless we know Hall wants out and we're trading him, which I doubt is the case.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks trying to reacquire our 2nd and go after Laine (if the Devils are intent on OSing someone) is the better value move? He’s still got plenty of upside, is a goal scorer, and won’t cost 4 1sts.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Thoughts on signing Chad Johnson to be the teams no.3 goalie.

We need an insurance policy if Schneider gets injured.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks trying to reacquire our 2nd and go after Laine (if the Devils are intent on OSing someone) is the better value move? He’s still got plenty of upside, is a goal scorer, and won’t cost 4 1sts.

I'd be all for it. I just think if Shero had any plan of doing an offer sheet that involved a 2nd he wouldn't have traded it in the first place. I think he would have tried to put other pieces in the Subban deal rather than the 2020 2nd. Don't forget, we had three from this year alone.

This group of RFA's didn't come out of nowhere. I'm sure prior to draft weekend teams thought about who they would potentially target come July 1, or if they would even go that route. If Shero thought he may need that 2nd I don't think he'd trade it and hope to reacquire it later.

Reactions: MichaelJ

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Not that they would have finished that low if the offer wasn't matched.

It's not just a Lou+Conte thing but Lou+Conte were bad in their last years here and got terrible results. There's just no arguing that, but people like you want to do that.

Marner at $12M isn't value. If the Devils could trade 4 1st round picks and sign Marner to a reasonable contract then yeah, that is something I would consider. But to pay Marner over market and 4 1st round picks is not worth it. It's not worth it because the Devils will need cheap players who are good to sustain a team, and their best avenue for doing that, the 1st round, will be blocked.

Not really seeing how bratt bastian boqvist all taken outside the first round. The draft doesn’t end at round 1.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Devils just about looking like a playoff team and a lot folks want to OS a guy and risk our next 4 first round picks...just effing stupid.

Reactions: Patrik26

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Devils just about looking like a playoff team and a lot folks want to OS a guy and risk our next 4 first round picks...just effing stupid.

Not to mention they want to offer sheet a guy who has been said to only want a THREE year deal. Which would presumably hold the team over the coals in three years again. Plus at 12.5 they're going to eventually run into issues if they extend Hall with guys like Nico being due a raise, Butcher, hopefully other young guys play well enough to deserve it too.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Not to mention they want to offer sheet a guy who has been said to only want a THREE year deal. Which would presumably hold the team over the coals in three years again. Plus at 12.5 they're going to eventually run into issues if they extend Hall with guys like Nico being due a raise, Butcher, hopefully other young guys play well enough to deserve it too.

The 3 year stuff doesn't ring true because his team will certainly elect to go to arbitration with him, leaving him to seek an offer sheet in the first 5 days of RFA - something which he has failed to do so far.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I still think its just lazy reporting that the Devils are being linked to offer sheets. Its mainly because of Sheros interview. Which was post draft when we had a ton of picks. Getting Subban took him out of the offer sheet game. They arent going to trade with Nashville back for the 2nd rounder. If Shero was that dead set on offer sheeting someone he wouldnt have moved that pick in the first place.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I still think its just lazy reporting that the Devils are being linked to offer sheets. Its mainly because of Sheros interview. Which was post draft when we had a ton of picks. Getting Subban took him out of the offer sheet game. They arent going to trade with Nashville back for the 2nd rounder. If Shero was that dead set on offer sheeting someone he wouldnt have moved that pick in the first place.

Unless he knew whoever he was going to offer sheet had to be in that 4 1st range. As has been mentioned, Winnipeg likely matches anything in that two 1st, 2nd, 3rd range for Laine. Same obviously goes for Marner.

Gord Miller, Darren Dreger, Pierre Lebrun, Bob McKenzie, Elliotte Friedman, and Frank Seravalli have all mentioned the Devils within the last week as a possibility to offer sheet someone. Guarantees nothing, but I think it's more than just lazy reporting.

Whether it's a sheet or not, there seems to be a general feeling from everyone that the Devils are not done though. Shero basically hinted as much in his conference call the other day.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Unless he knew whoever he was going to offer sheet had to be in that 4 1st range. As has been mentioned, Winnipeg likely matches anything in that two 1st, 2nd, 3rd range for Laine. Same obviously goes for Marner.

Gord Miller, Darren Dreger, Pierre Lebrun, Bob McKenzie, Elliotte Friedman, and Frank Seravalli have all mentioned the Devils within the last week as a possibility to offer sheet someone. Guarantees nothing, but I think it's more than just lazy reporting.

Whether it's a sheet or not, there seems to be a general feeling from everyone that the Devils are not done though. Shero basically hinted as much in his conference call the other day.
None of them said they knew we were going to do it just that it made sense and we're in a position to do it if we wanted

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Shero keeps getting himself quoted about offer sheets, even when he's not involved - Whyno quoted him in a piece about the Aho offer sheet. I think he wants to be seen as in that market.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
None of them said they knew we were going to do it just that it made sense and we're in a position to do it if we wanted

Of course they didn't say they knew the Devils were going to offer sheet someone for sure.

But when each of the main NHL insiders essentially says they're interested to see if the Devils would do one, it obviously carries more weight than your typical speculation from some radio host or something.

Plus, I believe it was Gord Miller that said there was a feeling among player agents that the Devils would offer sheet someone.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The 3 year stuff doesn't ring true because his team will certainly elect to go to arbitration with him, leaving him to seek an offer sheet in the first 5 days of RFA - something which he has failed to do so far.

I'm so lost on this. Which team? The Leafs or the team that offersheets him?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If we were really that serious about offer sheeting somebody I kind of doubt we'd have moved a pick that eliminates a $4+ million range of offer sheet possibilities, and I don't know if Shero really wants to give up 4 1st round picks at this point.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

So my first point was that i dont think Shero will go as high as 4 firsts for anyone so if he was considering it before the draft then he got Subban and its not anything they are considering anymore because they lost that 2nd in the deal. I just dont think Shero who has preached and preached draft and development is going to ship away 4 first round picks.

I still think it is, its very easy to include the Devils in every offer sheet. First, Sheros comments and Second we are one of the few teams that can afford it. Those alone will make "insiders" say X-team could do it, because of course we COULD do it but i just dont feel its likely at all.

Now that doesnt mean i believe Shero is done. Not at all, I think he is looking around the trade market and probably in talks with GMs for players. But I just have a hard time believing that the guy who's focus has been drafting and developing is going to toss away 4 first's.

Hey this is just my opinion, and I understand its exciting to talk about the possibility of it happening, i just have a hard time buying it no matter what name is attached to it.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If we were really that serious about offer sheeting somebody I kind of doubt we'd have moved a pick that eliminates a $4+ million range of offer sheet possibilities, and I don't know if Shero really wants to give up 4 1st round picks at this point.

There is a chance that we were, and then the Subban deal came along and Shero felt that was a better more then going the offer sheet route, which is what i tend to believe happened.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There is a chance that we were, and then the Subban deal came along and Shero felt that was a better more then going the offer sheet route, which is what i tend to believe happened.

RFA discussion period didnt even open until after the draft so I doubt they went into the draft with the "We're going to offer sheet someone" mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad