Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Age and contract have nothing to do with who is a "better player", instead they are things that deal with the relative value of the player.

As a "player", Vatanen is better than Severson. For starters, with 50 seconds left & a 1 goal lead, I dont have to worry about Vatanen doing something risky & stupid to score MOAR!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I still say Vatanen is better than Severson honestly.

2017-18, absolutely. Last year, I take Severson easily.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Vatanen is an average top 4 d man. I would love for him to stick around longer at the right price because I'm a fan of his game but with Subban and Severson in the top 4 on RD we will be ok. Hopefully Walsh or another player can fight for that 3rd pairing spot after next season.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Vatanen is an average top 4 d man. I would love for him to stick around longer at the right price because I'm a fan of his game but with Subban and Severson in the top 4 on RD we will be ok. Hopefully Walsh or another player can fight for that 3rd pairing spot after next season.

Vatanen is going to be a great player to have around as 3RD who will play heavy PK minutes and can fill in on the PP if needed.

I just wonder if he'd be okay with playing that role as a pending UFA looking for his big pay day. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade for a better opportunity elsewhere where he can up his value as his long-term picture he doesn't look good.

That being said, it seems like the RHD market is oversaturated now after so many teams seemed to be in desperate need of them, so I don't know if Shero will be able to get the value for Vatanen he'd be looking for.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
I'm skeptical Vatanen will earn a big pay day.

He's a useful defender, but I think teams will be hesitant to give him term and/or money because he's not really a difference maker. He also lacks the traits teams covet in defenseman (skating & size). Unless a team really, really likes him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have to settle for a three year 5-6 million dollar deal as a UFA.

Teams have been a lot smarter in free agency straying away from players with injury troubles or don't project to age well. Seems like the only guys who get big deals in free agency are either terrific skaters or have the size a team covets.

Things that affect your play, durability, points and so on off course is important for what type of contract you will receive but and this is very important "timing" is the buzz word for me. If vatanen comes out with a monster season he despite he's pass will get a very good contract. Teams are always desperate especially for a guy who just have had a great season. But like others have said because of severs and PK he will get limited minutes if injuries docent hit the team big time.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i doubt we hang on to vatanen beyond this year. decent chance that walsh is ready next season

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I’m not going to poo poo on Vatanen until it’s clear he’s been pushed down the lineup. Frankly right now I believe that Vatanen is the best bet to push Greene down to the second pairing unless we acquire a LHD. I know we are all super high on Ty Smith but the kids never played a minute in the NHL, I believe his future is bright but I’m not sure Id want him starting is career on the first pairing. If he earns it over time that’s fine but I think we need to have realistic expectations.

It’s very very possible that one of the RHD moves to the left side.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’m not going to poo poo on Vatanen until it’s clear he’s been pushed down the lineup. Frankly right now I believe that Vatanen is the best bet to push Greene down to the second pairing unless we acquire a LHD. I know we are all super high on Ty Smith but the kids never played a minute in the NHL, I believe his future is bright but I’m not sure Id want him starting is career on the first pairing. If he earns it over time that’s fine but I think we need to have realistic expectations.

It’s very very possible that one of the RHD moves to the left side.

Vatanen on LD will definitely be the first experiment going into next year just to get your four best defenders in the top four. I'm just skeptical it will work. Something like the following looks great on paper stylistically though:

Greene - Subban
Vatanen - Severson
Butcher - Carrick
Mueller

I think we may end up being better off balancing the pairings evenly playing Subban heavy PP minutes, Severson heavy 5-on-5 minutes, and Vatanen heavy PK minutes.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Vatanen on LD will definitely be the first experiment going into next year just to get your four best defenders in the top four. I'm just skeptical it will work. Something like the following looks great on paper stylistically though:

Greene - Subban
Vatanen - Severson
Butcher - Carrick
Mueller

I think we may end up being better off balancing the pairings evenly playing Subban heavy PP minutes, Severson heavy 5-on-5 minutes, and Vatanen heavy PK minutes.

Why are people still missing Smith from the top 6? He is a lock to play in the NHL this season and I think he will exceed all expectations.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Why are people still missing Smith from the top 6? He is a lock to play in the NHL this season and I think he will exceed all expectations.

Honestly, this.

I hate to pencil a rookie in, but I don’t think people realize how much of a steal he was where we got him in the draft. Teams took inferior players because of his size.
I have high hopes for both him and Boqvist this fall.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Smith is truly the wildcard here. if he can give us top 4 quality defense then we can essentially run 3 2nd pairings at even strength

Greene-Severson
Smith-Subban
Butcher-Vatanen

or switch Vatanen and Severson

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Again, this team needs a Trouba-lite LD (ideally a Trouba, but they can't afford that). They need to add some size on defense and the org knows it. I've been saying this for well over a year. If you still disagree with me, take a look at how they drafted this year. And if you STILL some how disagree, read a couple post draft interviews with Shero and Castron where they flat out say they want to add size on the back-end in the organization.

There is going to have to be a shake up on D within the next year. Even if you assume Greene is toast after this year, Vats, Butcher, and Smith isn't gonna cut it (+Vats won't take bottom pair $ on RD). And the most obvious guy to move there is Vats.

Devils could add, but realistic player coming back needs to be 6'2+ LD that can put up 25-30 points, play PK, clear crease, and has decent mobility.

For the billionth time on here, just because size matters less in today's NHL, doesn't mean it's entirely irrelevant and you can trot out a defense with one guy above 6ft. How anyone can watch the playoffs each year and think that's feasible is beyond me at this point. Heck, the Bruins are often viewed as an "undersized" defensive unit and they still had Chara and Carlo playing 20+ a night.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I definitely think we should try and snag Lablanc or Gusev. Both teams are in cap hell and need to clear some salary going forward.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I definitely think we should try and snag Lablanc or Gusev. Both teams are in cap hell and need to clear some salary going forward.

1536516325_friends.jpg

Reactions: MichaelJ

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017

Greene - Subban
Vatanen - Severson
Butcher - Carrick
Mueller

What is your affinity for Greene on the top pair and Smith not in the NHL?

Youve posted those two things numerous times the last month or so

Reactions: Bet the Over

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Enough passers, this team needs goal scorers. Our top 6 has 4 combined 30 goal seasons and 50% of those are from Wayne Simmonds. Not a single 40 goal season from anyone.

Last season we had only two people break 20 goals...

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Enough passers, this team needs goal scorers. Our top 6 has 4 combined 30 goal seasons and 50% of those are from Wayne Simmonds. Not a single 40 goal season from anyone.

Last season we had only two people break 20 goals...

Palmieri, Hall, and Simmonds are all top notch goal scorers. Bratt and Hischier both have excellent shots for setup men. St. Louis had one 30 goal scorer last season. Worked out pretty good for them.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland

Greene - Subban
Vatanen - Severson
Butcher - Carrick
Mueller

I'd try müller with pk since he was the only defenseman actually playing defence last season.

Reactions: nugg

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Palmieri, Hall, and Simmonds are all top notch goal scorers. Bratt and Hischier both have excellent shots for setup men. St. Louis had one 30 goal scorer last season. Worked out pretty good for them.

Palmieri and Hall have had one 30+ season each in their entire careers, not sure that is top notch. Before going down, Hall was on pace for 27 which was slightly above his career average. Wayne Simmonds just had 1 goal in 17 games for Nashville and didn't crack 20 last year.

I'm not sure St Louis is a good comparable to us considering they have far superior defense and goaltending. Not to mention Tarasenko alone has more 30 and 40 goal seasons than our entire top 6 combined.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Palmieri and Hall have had one 30+ season each in their entire careers, not sure that is top notch. Before going down, Hall was on pace for 27 which was slightly above his career average. Wayne Simmonds just had 1 goal in 17 games for Nashville and didn't crack 20 last year.

I'm not sure St Louis is a good comparable to us considering they have far superior defense and goaltending. Not to mention Tarasenko alone has more 30 and 40 goal seasons than our entire top 6 combined.

Hall scored 39 in his last full season and Palmieri scored at a 30 goal pace in 2018-2019. What exactly is your point? You're seriously trying to diminish them because they didn't hit pretty round numbers? Okay?

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
RHD on the left side is an awful idea. The Devils should not even be entertaining that.

Why?

I’ll 10/10 times play the better player out of position then play a guy way out of he’s comfort zone.
A good coach will do that every single game watch til the season starts.

Now the conversation gets interesting because I will guarantee that batsmen will play minimum top4 minutes almost each game.

It’s a pretty easy choice when you have PK and severson and then you have green who will play limited minutes 5on5 and heavy pk time.
If my prediction is wrong i will be so glad because then it means hopefully that Butcher and Smith have earned the minutes. If that happen you can ship vatanen away or you could have a top 4 defender playing the 5-6 position and you could deploy you defenseman in better environments to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad