Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
RFA discussion period didnt even open until after the draft so I doubt they went into the draft with the "We're going to offer sheet someone" mentality

Sorry should have been more clear. I was implying that it could have been an idea that was discussed as a way to acquire a player in the case that other options didn’t work out. Not that they really had a target or an idea of who or what they would offer or sign. I know they are focused on the draft but I’m sure other discussions happen leading up to the draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm so lost on this. Which team? The Leafs or the team that offersheets him?

No team is giving him a three year OS. If someone was actually willing to part with 4 picks they would throw the full term at him and basically dare him not to sign it.

If he really wouldn’t sign that then this entire discussion since the end of the draft has been a giant waste of time.

Reactions: Bet the Over

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There is a chance that we were, and then the Subban deal came along and Shero felt that was a better more then going the offer sheet route, which is what i tend to believe happened.

It's entirely plausible that's what happened. I also wonder how interested we really were in offer sheets to begin with. It seems like the speculation started out as more of a "these are the teams that have the cap space to do it" thought that people ran with.

I would still be stunned if we actually did offer sheet somebody.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Devils just about looking like a playoff team and a lot folks want to OS a guy and risk our next 4 first round picks...just effing stupid.

So... if they are just about a playoff team, you think they can get someone like marner drafing 15-30 in the next 4 seasons?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
So... if they are just about a playoff team, you think they can get someone like marner drafing 15-30 in the next 4 seasons?

No but do I think I can find better value per dollar? Quite possibly. For example, I won’t be surprised if year 2 and 3 of Ty Smith’s current contract provide more value than year 2 and 3 of Marner’s next contract.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
This is a good question... What is going to happen with Sami Vatanen?

There are 4 scenarios:
1. We re-sign him
2. He walks in UFA
3. We trade him for a package of picks/prospects
4. We use him in a trade to improve the roster elsewhere

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
This is a good question... What is going to happen with Sami Vatanen?

There are 4 scenarios:
1. We re-sign him
2. He walks in UFA
3. We trade him for a package of picks/prospects
4. We use him in a trade to improve the roster elsewhere

depends on what he’d re-sign for. if it’s less than 6.5, then it’s a no brainer IMO.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
depends on what he’d re-sign for. if it’s less than 6.5, then it’s a no brainer IMO.
6.5 for Vatanen is insane money. He is not better than Subban and I don't think he's better than Severson either, not to mention he's much less durable than Severson as well. He hasn't played more than 71 games in a season! Vatanen on a third pair is a luxury and not necessarily a need

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ideally we'd trade him for a defensive minded, minute munching LHD.capable of handling 1st pairing duties. I was REALLY hoping to trade him for Muzzin when Toronto was desperate for a RHD before they got Barrie.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
6.5 for Vatanen is insane money. He is not better than Subban and I don't think he's better than Severson either, not to mention he's much less durable than Severson as well. He hasn't played more than 71 games in a season! Vatanen on a third pair is a luxury and not necessarily a need

Lol Vatanen is not a 3rd pairing luxury lol he’s a top 4 Dman in the NHL currently. I’d also like to add 6 or 6.5 isn’t near as much as it used to be.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

UFA’s tend to get “insane money”. guaranteed someone would offer him at least 6.5 on july first

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Lol Vatanen is not a 3rd pairing luxury lol he’s a top 4 Dman in the NHL currently. I’d also like to add 6 or 6.5 isn’t near as much as it used to be.
Yes, he's not a 3rd pair by talent, but he isn't better than Severson or Subban. He shouldn't be anywhere near the PP with the points being Palmieri, Subban, Smith, and Butcher. Maybe he plays PK1 (need to replace LJ) or PK 2. But as our most "tradable" valuable asset, I don't think this team necessarily needs Sami. I'd look to move him for a comparable LD or picks

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
vatanen will get 7x5 if he hits UFA I think. isn't hd a better version of Gardiner. offense equal, defense vatanen is better, durability equal. Age I don't know

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
vatanen will get 7x5 if he hits UFA I think. isn't hd a better version of Gardiner. offense equal, defense vatanen is better, durability equal. Age I don't know

Vatanen is not equal to Gardiner in offense. Defense he is better, durability i think he has more concerns. Gardiner missed 20 games this year but only missed 8 total games in the previous 5 years. Sami always misses at least 10 games a year and just missed 32, has never played more than 72 regular season games.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm skeptical Vatanen will earn a big pay day.

He's a useful defender, but I think teams will be hesitant to give him term and/or money because he's not really a difference maker. He also lacks the traits teams covet in defenseman (skating & size). Unless a team really, really likes him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have to settle for a three year 5-6 million dollar deal as a UFA.

Teams have been a lot smarter in free agency straying away from players with injury troubles or don't project to age well. Seems like the only guys who get big deals in free agency are either terrific skaters or have the size a team covets.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yes, he's not a 3rd pair by talent, but he isn't better than Severson or Subban. He shouldn't be anywhere near the PP with the points being Palmieri, Subban, Smith, and Butcher. Maybe he plays PK1 (need to replace LJ) or PK 2. But as our most "tradable" valuable asset, I don't think this team necessarily needs Sami. I'd look to move him for a comparable LD or picks

why do you keep comparing him to severson and subban? what does that have to do with his value on the open market?

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
why do you keep comparing him to severson and subban? what does that have to do with his value on the open market?
I am comparing him because all three of them are RD, and he is behind Severson and Subban in talent, and I don't see a role for him in 20-21. Especially if he is getting 6+ million. His value on the open market is relevant because if he doesn't have a role here longterm, NJ should move him because teams covet top 4, RD.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Vatanen has had a number of injuries the last three years. He’s a tough solid defenseman but he will not age well. I don’t see any team giving him significant term. He might need to settle for a 2-3 year deal and I’m not sure I’d offer him more than that. If he hits UFA and a team offers him five or six years I’d say thanks but see you later.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I am comparing him because all three of them are RD, and he is behind Severson and Subban in talent, and I don't see a role for him in 20-21. Especially if he is getting 6+ million. His value on the open market is relevant because if he doesn't have a role here longterm, NJ should move him because teams covet top 4, RD.

ah ok. well i don’t agree that severson is better, but i’m fairly indifferent to moving him. i think if we can lock him in at $6 i’d lean towards keeping him but i can go either way

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Unless vatanen has a bounce back year i don’t know if he’s going to get what Myers got. Maybe more like what Ian cole got. Mojo had a tough 2 years with injuries and had to take 2 years at slightly less than what he was making and he even had a strong playoff. Vatanen was good in 2017/2018 but still had injuries and has never been a legitimate top pairing D. He may get 2/3 years at 4.5 to 5 mill if he has another year of missing 10+ games and not showing out.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Severson is absolutely a better player than Vatanen especially considering their ages and contract status.

Age and contract have nothing to do with who is a "better player", instead they are things that deal with the relative value of the player.

As a "player", Vatanen is better than Severson. For starters, with 50 seconds left & a 1 goal lead, I dont have to worry about Vatanen doing something risky & stupid to score MOAR!!!!!!!

Reactions: MartyOwns

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Age and contract have nothing to do with who is a "better player", instead they are things that deal with the relative value of the player.

As a "player", Vatanen is better than Severson. For starters, with 50 seconds left & a 1 goal lead, I dont have to worry about Vatanen doing something risky & stupid to score MOAR!!!!!!!

Vatanen scored on his own net lol also is a very risky player so that’s just incorrect. Severson is a better D man right now, take everything else out of it.

Reactions: Devils731
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad