Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'll just lead off with this.

Can we realistically give Marner that 12.5 that he wants, give Hall the contract he wants, extend Nico and Hughes (when Hughes eventually will command a big money deal)

AND have a NHL defense that can be capable of not crumbling during a long playoff run? Can we pull all of this off without meeting the fate of cap hell?

I don't want us to be the ****ing Golden Knights.

a team that went to the cup finals and should've went to the conference finals this past season possibly the cup finals again?

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Honestly, I'm in no way that worried about losing the four 1st round picks. Players like this are normally considered untouchable. Teams won't even consider trading them under most circumstances. He's a 21 year old coming off a near 100 point season, with the kind of game that warrants every reason to believe he'll continue to improve as a player.

We have a good amount of prospects, young players, two 1st overall picks, one of which potentially generational, an absolute stud D prospect about to make the team, then you add a 22 year old superstar in Marner, and Ray would recoup at least one or two firsts over the span of 5 years, guaranteed. Even if by just trading up from the 2nd. JT Miller just fetched a 1st. We would only go at most 2 years at a time without a first anyway.

Our scouting staff has given us plenty of reason to believe they can find talent in the later rounds too.

If we're heading toward win now mode there's every reason to believe we may go 2, 3, or more consecutive years without a 1st like most other teams if Ray starts trading them at the deadline. Give me a 22 year old superstar over whatever overpriced rentals that end up not fitting in and leaving that those 1st rounders would be traded for, every day of the week.

For me, the money element of this is the only debatable part, but a salary cap that could very likely be approaching $90M or more in the next few years needs to be at least kept in mind while having that debate.

this guy +10000000000000000000000000

other teams get out of their salary cap hell and somehow still survive. where there is a will there is a way.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
a team that went to the cup finals and should've went to the conference finals this past season possibly the cup finals again?

The Knights are selling off a shit ton of their depth because they made dumb move and overspent and overspent and sold off assets like water.

Asset management is the most important thing here.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
the Penguins had two top 5 centers in the NHL on their team. Those 2 guys made ~24% of the cap in 2017.

Assuming Marner and Hall both gets $12.5 million and the cap stays around the same (lets call it $83), thats over 30% of the cap. Thats a big difference.
Not to mention that Crosby and Malkin have won 3 Cups and Marner and Hall have not even won a playoff series.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The Knights are selling off a **** ton of their depth because they made dumb move and overspent and overspent and sold off assets like water.

they spent to the cap and they were pretty successful the last two years. where that leaves them in the future? i dunno neither do you

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Would you take the guaranteed 5M over four shots at 10M at 50/50? Some would say yes, others no.

But that's saying you have 4 shots at a player that could be much better than the established, near 100 point, 22 year old.

And like I said, if you think there's even a 50/50 chance for that to happen in the 20-31 range of the draft, then we just differ. Like you said, some would say yes, others no.

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
The Knights are selling off a **** ton of their depth because they made dumb move and overspent and overspent and sold off assets like water.

They traded Colin Miller who they healthy scratched in the playoffs, Erik Haula who had one unreal year but is a third liner who they took along with tuch, and are potentially trading the Goose who has played 0 games for them... not too much to lose

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Signing Mark Stone was not a dumb move. Neither was the Statsny signing.

Vegas cap problems is a function of not being able to have guys in elc’s to fill out the roster as they have only had two drafts. Of course a guy like Glass may be ready this year. So they’ll ship out a depth player for him.

No the MAF they will probably come to regret but that is a year or two away.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
this guy +10000000000000000000000000

other teams get out of their salary cap hell and somehow still survive. where there is a will there is a way.

Let's see what happens with Toronto and Marner...they already coughed up a first-rounder to dump Marleau. It's not always as easy as you make it out to be to get rid of cap issues unscathed. Tampa seems to do it but they generally get guys to sign below market deals to stay there.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Signing Mark Stone was not a dumb move. Neither was the Statsny signing.

Vegas cap problems is a function of not being able to have guys in elc’s to fill out the roster as they have only had two drafts. Of course a guy like Glass may be ready this year. So they’ll ship out a depth player for him.

No the MAF they will probably come to regret but that is a year or two away.

Not to make it HFVegas but we will see where that team is 3 years down the road, I'll bet you they aren't contending for anything other than maybe bubble contendership. I've seen this story before. The Rangers do it all the time, you don't sell off futures for sexy names and have a long term future in the NHL. That's reality.

With the Devils, They have all the justification to give Marner that offersheet, he's younger, he fits the timeline, you can say we would be an instant playoff team for those four years and we wouldn't have to worry about positioning.

But again, all of that is gonna be irrelevant when we try to fit Marner, Hall, Hughes, Nico, a top line LHD and Subban on the same team. Keep in mind, Bratt is gonna need an extension too.

If any of you think that can be done without us icing a bunch of Kevin Rooney's and AHL fodder for the rest of the team, cool. I don't see it and I don't think it's worth the risk or effort.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The short term deal is probably the new normal. Marner has the Leafs in a bad spot because TOR wants to win now but some teams may have to send some RFA guys home for extended stays to get them off their short term salary demands. I guess this will be part of the next lockout although I’m not sure you can do much about it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Most NHL GMs' goal is not to win the Stanley Cup but rather it is not to get fired. There's a few GMs who have the luxury of competing for a Cup but for those that aren't in realistic contention it just means trying to keep your job until you get fired for unrealistic expectations.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
How about this thought.

If someone told you that you would have four first rounders and one would wind up being a star and scoring 100 points a season and the other 3 would be busts, would you accept it?

If yes, then you do the trade/offer sheet.

Reactions: Devs4L

zombie abo

Jun 15, 2019
finnyland
How about this thought.

If someone told you that you would have four first rounders and one would wind up being a star and scoring 100 points a season and the other 3 would be busts, would you accept it?

If yes, then you do the trade/offer sheet.

giphy.gif

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I don't know we would ever recover giving up a few Quennevilles and Matteaus, god forbid a Tedenby or Josefson.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Let's see what happens with Toronto and Marner...they already coughed up a first-rounder to dump Marleau. It's not always as easy as you make it out to be.

But here's the thing. If they get Marner signed, even with having to deal Marleau, and if they have to trade a Nylander (they'd get something of value back, maybe on D) have they taken any major steps back in terms of their present or future? Both, to me, would still be extremely bright because of that core of stars they would have assembled. They'll still in all likelihood be a very competitive team this year and for years to come.

That's why, while tough, you still try to make it work when you have that kind of talent, even if it means making really tough decisions on players like Marleau. It's a core that you try to just tweak and build around over the years similar to Pitt and Chicago. The cap will continue to rise for the next few years anyway.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't know we would ever recover giving up a few Quennevilles and Matteaus, god forbid a Tedenby or Josefson.

This is silly. The Devils would be in much better shape now if they had an extra 1st round pick between 20 and 30 in each of the Castron/Shero seasons. They'd probably have an extra above-average NHLer out of it.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad