Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zajac's contract has 2 years left on it. Hughes will still be on his ELC at that point. Hall, Nico and Bratt will be on the first year of their new contracts.

like I said, I don't want to offer sheet MArner for four firsts, but if we do I am not trading Zajac to make room for it, especially if you realistically only need the space for 1 year. You can make room in other ways if need be.
Plus there is no way in hell we should make trades before we get the new player either.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Zajac's contract has 2 years left on it. Hughes will still be on his ELC at that point. Hall, Nico and Bratt will be on the first year of their new contracts.

like I said, I don't want to offer sheet MArner for four firsts, but if we do I am not trading Zajac to make room for it, especially if you realistically only need the space for 1 year. You can make room in other ways if need be.

Sami Vatanen can be replaced by a D man making close to a million (Walsh or other cheap bottom pair option), Wood can be moved to save 1.85 mill on someone on an entry deal, Simmonds leaving will save 4ish million. Andy Green is 5 million off the books (maybe comes back for 2ish mill). Plus Cammelleri's buyout comes off the books after 2020-2021 season (1.67 mill)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
welcome to any sports league with a growing cap, the contracts go up on a yearly basis. Also his contract will be in his prime with no years over 30... that's worth more money than someone who is getting paid into their 30's significantly especially with how many players are dipping after age 30 in this league. I'm not sure if he is better than any of those 3 because thats hard to absolutely justify, although I think he is better than panarin now, but he's arguably the best winger in the NHL under 23 years old and just had over 90 points and plays a very strong overall game. That's worth a lot, maybe 11+ million and four 1st round picks, I think it's something to think about and it seems most people think its a absolute no for the Devils on doing an offer sheet.

Panarin and Stone just signed their contracts this year and Hall is going to sign one in the next year. Marner doesn't get to choose to have a short-term contract so his AAV can go up. There's a reason why he hasn't received an offer sheet to his liking and that's because no one is going to do this for him. Either he signs long-term at the 4 1st round pick threshold or he's not getting anything at all.

He is not better than Panarin, nor is he even close. Let me know when Panarin plays with a goal scorer like John Tavares. What a shock, Marner put up a ton of assists playing with one of the best goal scorers of this era.

So yeah, in light of the fact that he is young, I would offer him more than Panarin on a 7 year deal. 7/77. That's still challenging for Toronto to match.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i mean i don't really care nor do i want to stake a side in this discussion but a lot of opinions are getting thrown around like they're facts here

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
also don't want marner at all - don't see what he brings that hughes couldn't bring within 3 seasons and not even remotely close to what we'd have to give up and pay. the one thing we are not lacking in is undersized speed/skill playmakers

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
and tavares exceeded his career high by 10 goals playing with marner. you can't just arbitrarily apply cause and effects

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
There's one thing about the Mitch Marner saga I havent heard anyone cover, which puzzles me:

A) If Toronto doesnt want to pay Marner $12.5M per year, will ANYONE else?
B) If not, they why the hell should Toronto pay Mitch Marner $12.5M per year

Reactions: Khione

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Eklund is off his rocker today for anyone wanting a laugh
you can't be off your rocker if you were never on it to begin with
260832909030212.png

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

For those who were interested in invites:

"The Devils will also host three invitees, including Nicholas Canade, Danny Weight and Tyler Young."

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
and tavares exceeded his career high by 10 goals playing with marner. you can't just arbitrarily apply cause and effects

Yes, no shit, Tavares never played with anyone as good as Mitch Marner either. I already called him a top winger. He's not the best winger, nor is he that close to being so.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Panarin and Stone just signed their contracts this year and Hall is going to sign one in the next year. Marner doesn't get to choose to have a short-term contract so his AAV can go up. There's a reason why he hasn't received an offer sheet to his liking and that's because no one is going to do this for him. Either he signs long-term at the 4 1st round pick threshold or he's not getting anything at all.

He is not better than Panarin, nor is he even close. Let me know when Panarin plays with a goal scorer like John Tavares. What a shock, Marner put up a ton of assists playing with one of the best goal scorers of this era.

So yeah, in light of the fact that he is young, I would offer him more than Panarin on a 7 year deal. 7/77. That's still challenging for Toronto to match.

Like Patrick Kane?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
not the best but certainly a good chance to be over the duration of his next contract that he's holding out for right now.

anyway i don't think he's worth it either way so i don't want to stake a claim to him being worth it but i dont think panarin at 28 years old is that much more valuable than marner at 23

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

My guess is if he’d sign for that TOR would have done it already.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There's one thing about the Mitch Marner saga I havent heard anyone cover, which puzzles me:

A) If Toronto doesnt want to pay Marner $12.5M per year, will ANYONE else?
B) If not, they why the hell should Toronto pay Mitch Marner $12.5M per year

then he will sit out leafs do good to start the year it will work on their behalf. they start the year poorly? it will work in marners favor.

he could request a trade too

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
then he will sit out leafs do good to start the year it will work on their behalf. they start the year poorly? it will work in marners favor.

he could request a trade too

The Leafs cannot do what they did with Nylander last year because of how the cap works. One way or another, this will be resolved by the start of the season.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Okay, I didn't realize how many goals Kane was scoring - earlier in his career he used to be a 25-30 goal guy. Panarin's excelled away from Kane, though.

Marner put up points with freakin Tyler Bozak as a center at 20 years old. He's very good, better than Rantanen in my eyes as the best young winger in the NHL. His game is very good in both ends too, one of the better defensive wingers in the NHL. I think he's worth 4 firsts and 11+ million, that's just my opinion and obviously it depends on some different factors within the Devils and other teams looking at him. I think adding him to the Devils makes those 4 firsts all non lottery first rounders and several teams have gone years without drafting in the first round for way less than a stud top line RW in his prime years. Rangers 2013-2016 is one example i can think of where they traded all 4 first rounders in those years.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Are you 100% sure compensation must be perfectly sequential (i.e. there's not 1 year wiggle-room, etc..)?
Yes, I'm sure. The exception is when multiple picks are involved (I.e. 2 1sts, 4 1sts, etc) where you can use them over 5 years.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Marner put up points with freakin Tyler Bozak as a center at 20 years old. He's very good, better than Rantanen in my eyes as the best young winger in the NHL. His game is very good in both ends too, one of the better defensive wingers in the NHL. I think he's worth 4 firsts and 11+ million, that's just my opinion and obviously it depends on some different factors within the Devils and other teams looking at him. I think adding him to the Devils makes those 4 firsts all non lottery first rounders and several teams have gone years without drafting in the first round for way less than a stud top line RW in his prime years. Rangers 2013-2016 is one example i can think of where they traded all 4 first rounders in those years.

Marner is not one of the best defensive wingers in the NHL, nor is he even close. That's where the hyperbole ends. He doesn't suppress shots against. Granted playing with Tavares doesn't help in that regard, but I don't see him as good defensively really at all, nor does his offense make up for his defense (as with someone like Taylor Hall).

The equation for a mid to late 1st rounder isn't to be as good as Marner, it's to be as valuable as Marner, and this is a much lower bar to clear when you consider Marner's salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad