Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
This is what I meant - don't they have a scrimmage

Yes, I believe they have a scrimmage to wrap up the event.

I feel like I hear more size concerns over Jesper, a forward, than Adam, the defenseman when they look of similar size. It may just be because I follow Jesper more closer.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes, I believe they have a scrimmage to wrap up the event.

I feel like I hear more size concerns over Jesper, a forward, than Adam, the defenseman when they look of similar size. It may just be because I follow Jesper more closer.

And Quinn is lauded as a sure fire NHL success while Jack is a sprite who won’t have the frame or strength to translate to the NHL. I am always surprised at how many people indulge in cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: Pavail Zachupov

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Subban is the best defenseman we've had on the team since Niedermayer? Or maybe Rafalski? That's debatable.

Either way, we haven't had a defenseman this good since at least 12 years ago.

We haven't had a defenseman this good on the roster since before we moved to Newark.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Boqvist looks ready, then I think he should absolutely make the team.

It's 2019 and we have depth. There's no need to waste a roster spot (or just an every night lineup spot at the very least) on players like Rooney and Hayden.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

It's 2019 and we have depth. There's no need to waste a roster spot (or just an every night lineup spot at the very least) on players like Rooney and Hayden.
He should make the team, but even if he looks ready I'm not sure where in the lineup he fits.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He should make the team, but even if he looks ready I'm not sure where in the lineup he fits.
His minutes will likely be very low and limited anyway, just like Wood's and Zacha's were early on and still continue to be. So I'm fine with that. If he's playing with players like that, I think he's fine in a 4th line role.

If you have enough depth and you aren't scraping the salary cap ceiling (where you HAVE to play some dumb plug like those bozo's I just named), I see no need to put some plug or some plumber in there like that. Not in 2020.

Although I didn't like seeing it back in 1990-whatever either.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

yeah but i don’t even think there’s room for hayden/rooney at this point, let alone boqvist. at least hayden/rooney can step in to cover injuries over the course of the season. that isn’t a luxury we have with boqvist, so for that reason i think we should hold off a year on him.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boqvist will either be on the third line or not on the team. I don’t think it will be helpful for him to be on the fourth line.
People always say this, but there's nothing wrong with a guy like Boqvist on the 4th line as long as he's playing with guys that are actually good.

And with our current depth, guys that are actually good like Wood, Zacha, Coleman, (one or two of those guys for sure) will have to play on the 4th line anyway.
yeah but i don’t even think there’s room for hayden/rooney at this point, let alone boqvist. at least hayden/rooney can step in to cover injuries over the course of the season. that isn’t a luxury we have with boqvist, so for that reason i think we should hold off a year on him.
I don't see any reason for those guys to be every night players. Assuming the forwards are mostly healthy. The last year we made the playoffs, we actually had a good 4th line(s) where guys like Noesen, Coleman, Wood, Boyle and Gibbons all saw time and all produced very well.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't see any reason for those guys to be every night players. Assuming the forwards are mostly healthy.

i agree, that’s what i’m saying. they can be injury fill ins. i’d much rather have guys like anderson and/or bastion on the 4th line and let boqvist rack up big 5 on 5 and PP minutes in sweden this year

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I said it before, I'll say it again, we're a better team with Boqvist on it IMO. Even if it's in a limited role, he plays the exact style of play they want to play and is just very skilled he'll make his linemates better and we have enough depth at the moment where that can really boost that 3rd or 4th line. Before the Goose I said Boqivst will be in our top 6 by the new year but that kinda deal changes things, even still having him on the 3rd line would be awesome. I think at this point my ideal lines are:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Simmonds
Coleman-Zajac-Anderson

That's some kind of depth. Those are four lines I'd be more comfortable rolling out with pretty even minutes at 5 on 5.

Edit: forgot about Wood lol, change the 4th line to Wood-Zajac-Coleman

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
playing a guy like Boqvist on the 4th line and on the 2nd PP would be totally fine

plenty of teams around the league break their young players in on the 4th line and let them work their way up
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but there may not be even room on the 2nd PP for him. Wouldn't mind starting him next to Zacha and moving him up in case of injuries. Alternatively if he's open to going to the minors, having him there and calling him up could be a decent option if/when one of the top 9 guys get injured.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
These Boqvist arguments are bizarre. He's going to get a shot to make the team, if he plays his way on, if he's one of the best 12 forwards, he's going to be on the roster for opening night. End of story. This isn't the '15-'16 Devils where the 4th line is plugs and minor leagures, there will be 3 scoring lines and a 2-way line. He'd be playing with guys like Zacha, Zajac, Wood, Coleman, and Simmonds. Quality linemates, decent icetime, very little pressure. It's practically an ideal situation for a young skilled forward coming over from Europe.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
These Boqvist arguments are bizarre. He's going to get a shot to make the team, if he plays his way on, if he's one of the best 12 forwards, he's going to be on the roster for opening night. End of story. This isn't the '15-'16 Devils where the 4th line is plugs and minor leagures, there will be 3 scoring lines and a 2-way line. He'd be playing with guys like Zacha, Zajac, Wood, Coleman, and Simmonds. Quality linemates, decent icetime, very little pressure. It's practically an ideal situation for a young skilled forward coming over from Europe.

Big jump from the Swedish Hockey League to the NHL

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
There is a difference between a 4th line that we are likely going to ice and a 4th line that had Cam Janssen and Eric Boulton on it.

Reactions: Devs3cups

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I said it before, I'll say it again, we're a better team with Boqvist on it IMO. Even if it's in a limited role, he plays the exact style of play they want to play and is just very skilled he'll make his linemates better and we have enough depth at the moment where that can really boost that 3rd or 4th line. Before the Goose I said Boqivst will be in our top 6 by the new year but that kinda deal changes things, even still having him on the 3rd line would be awesome. I think at this point my ideal lines are:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Simmonds
Coleman-Zajac-Anderson

That's some kind of depth. Those are four lines I'd be more comfortable rolling out with pretty even minutes at 5 on 5.

Edit: forgot about Wood lol, change the 4th line to Wood-Zajac-Coleman

That’s a well balanced forward group. Hopefully the chemistry pans out reasonably quickly with all the new additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad