Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Not sure I'm seeing Trav headed for a jersey retirement here

I would however support a Stone Hands® memorial

big-stone-hands-raised-to-sky-bushes-stone-sculpture-big-hands-to-sky-143274953.jpg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
C'mon. Comparing Dano and Zajac in terms of jersey retirement is ridiculous. Average dman that WON THREE STANLEY CUPS when the organization was in its infancy is not at all comparable to a 2/3 C who hasn't won a damn thing.

No way in hell should Zajac have his jersey retired, which we obviously agree on. But using Dano as the comparable is just absurd. Absolutely illogical.

It's not - he's the only player on the list whose career even compares. No one would even bring up Travis Zajac as a jersey retirement possibility if they hadn't retired Daneyko's. And I get all the reasons for doing it and I'm okay with it - but it has lead to people thinking that anyone can get their jersey retired here as long as they play here a long time.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It's not - he's the only player on the list whose career even compares. No one would even bring up Travis Zajac as a jersey retirement possibility if they hadn't retired Daneyko's. And I get all the reasons for doing it and I'm okay with it - but it has lead to people thinking that anyone can get their jersey retired here as long as they play here a long time.
i brought it up strictly bc of loyalty and games played, not to mention points

has nothing to do w dano, you can ask him

Reactions: Bet the Over

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I wonder when the next Ring of Honor thing will take place, speaking of that. It'll be interesting to see who they feel should be involved in that type of ceremony.

Have to imagine something is taking place this year to honor the 2000 Cup team since it'll be the 20th anniversary. I think Marty even acknowledged that would happen at Subban's press conference.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Zajacs number isn't getting retired, c'mon. He's a "ring of honor" type player if we ever do that. Him, Brylin, Mac, and Olivier Magnan.

Reactions: mdj12784

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
just wonderin - i know it was prob talked about, but does trav end up w his # retired by the devils? or is he ring of honor? he's gonna jump past maclean and stevens for games played w us this season

there's been talk of the possibility of players in the ROH and someone (or some people, cant remember exactly) said it would be a bit much to have a massive picture of a player up while their number isnt retired….

…if it were just a name on the wall, sure….but im in the boat of no with the current format they use (the mcmullen style)

as for zaj's number in the rafters……i dunno…cant decide

edit: just realized mcmullen has the same goofy grin as zaj…same barber too

cut.png

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ring of Honor (no order):

Lou
MacLean
Brylin
Zajac
Holik
Andy Greene
Pat Burns
Jacques Lemaire

I can get behind this list. It's tough because I do think I'd cave and let in a lot of players that I hold near and dear to my heart. Arnott, Madden, Rafalski, Pandolfo for their contributions. But, it should be reserved for guys such as the above who were vital cogs and soldiers.

I almost wish you could do lines, so the Crash Line can go in together, the A-Line can go in together, Madden and Pando can go in together. :laugh:

Reactions: mdj12784

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
If not made for players as much, then Lou should be first
Any of Lemaire, Burns, and Robinson would be good too

If players included, I could go for seeing Brylin and Jmac

Honestly Lou should probably just get a statue at the arena
He left the team on life support but first and foremost he put them on the map

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i brought it up strictly bc of loyalty and games played, not to mention points

has nothing to do w dano, you can ask him

I can't say you're lying, but I have a hard time believing anyone would think Zajac should be in that discussion if the only players' jerseys ever retired by the franchise were Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer, and Elias - 3 1st ballot HOFers and one guy who should get in the Hall of Fame.

Zajac is 4th in franchise scoring and will move into 3rd, but this franchise has been allergic to keeping its top scorers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
just wonderin - i know it was prob talked about, but does trav end up w his # retired by the devils? or is he ring of honor? he's gonna jump past maclean and stevens for games played w us this season

No to the former, to the latter - do we even have a Ring Of Honor yet? So far it’s just McMullen afaik.

And re: Dano it wasn’t just that he won three Cups, played a long time and was personable but he was all that and an ‘original Devil’. He’s just not comparable to anyone else or a reason number retirements are ‘watered down’ when we currently have 5/100 numbers retired.

Reactions: devilsblood

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
players are not getting in the “ring of honor” come on!

you think they are going to plaster brylin or holik’s faces on the walls of the prudential center? it’s an acknowledgement for non-player builder types and lou will probably be the next to go on it

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
do you think that if Zajac played from 1995-2003 he would have won 3 Cups too?

or if Dano played the last 12 years or so he would have won anything?
Oh yay. Using a hypothetical that no one could reasonably even venture a guess on the impact of as the basis of an argument.

1) Saying Zajac should have his jersey retired is ridiculous
2) Comparing Zajac's situation to Dano's as justification/or cause of Zajac even being brought up is also ridiculous

Dano was a huge part of this organization when it was in its infancy. He won 3 cups. He was always viewed as a significant leader. None of these things apply to Zajac. This is the most baseless comparison I've ever seen on this board, and that's saying something.

Players get #s retired for tons of things outside of solely production. Heck, just look across the river: Adam Graves. However, Zajac has done nothing of note to get his jersey retired.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Oh yay. Using a hypothetical that no one could reasonably even venture a guess on the impact of as the basis of an argument.

1) Saying Zajac should have his jersey retired is ridiculous
2) Comparing Zajac's situation to Dano's as justification/or cause of Zajac even being brought up is also ridiculous

Dano was a huge part of this organization when it was in its infancy. He won 3 cups. He was always viewed as a significant leader. None of these things apply to Zajac. This is the most baseless comparison I've ever seen on this board, and that's saying something.

Players get #s retired for tons of things outside of solely production. Heck, just look across the river: Adam Graves. However, Zajac has done nothing of note to get his jersey retired.

Eh, I think Zajac is a good leader. I think in terms of team contributions they're close. But the reality is that Dano won three cups here and Zajac won zero. You could say it's bad luck, but them's the breaks. If Zajac played for the Devils during Daneyko's years and vice versa, we'd probably have retired Zajac's number instead.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Dano’s Number is retired because he was basically with the franchise from the beginning (he was one of the team’s first draft picks) and played from the Mickey Mouse years through the Cup years.

There is a difference between a 20 year first generation player who stayed and achieved success and a guy who came after the success and has stayed chiefly because the team gave him a long-term secured contract.

Reactions: Sgt Brylin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad