Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not too surprising given the 20th anniversary held by ownership for the 1995 team, but by the sounds of it here from Marty, there will likely be some event(s) in place for the 20th anniversary of the 2000 team this season. For those interested, about 1:10 in, after him discussing the former teammates of his being in a charity golf outing he is hosting, he mentions guys from that team being invited back to do things with the organization, so guess we will see what that eventually means. Neat nonetheless, would be nice to see some of these guys back around.

Followed by Hughes responding to Subban's 4th of July post with a "Show me your ****".

It feels so right having Marty associated with the team again. Sucks for him that the Blues won the cup the year here left their management, but ohh well.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
They are based on comments he’s made, his many appearances at popular “hip” places, and its just a personal hunch. I’m entitled to an opinion.

Teams that are in win now mode may get pressured into decisions they wouldn’t normally make. Happens all the time. Toronto could fear another Nylander situation with Marner and decide to cut bait and take their chances with Hall.

Please post these comments.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
@Bleedred

@Taylor Hall

Yeah...he didn't fade, BlackJack. We are in agreement.

He got hurt by an errant puck in practice which caused him to miss a good part of the beginning of the season.

Then he got hurt by another errant puck on his leg during the latter half(I think) of our forgettable season last year and was shut down the rest of the way.

So no. He most certainly did not fade.

BTW, remember this?

2u0e82.jpg

But yeah...let's trade him for a one-dimensional player whose only strength is his shot.
QsrS1La.gif

We already have that type of player : His name is Kyle Palmieri.

Please stop, your level of homerism is embarrassing. Patrick Laine is on an entire different level when comparing him to Bratt. Jesper is a good player but Laine is already a star, wheater you like or not and calling him one dimensional is borderline laughable.

He's a tremendous playmaker but if your linemates can't finish, it doesn't show up on stat sheets. With that said, if you have the shot he has, you should be shooting the puck 9 times out of 10 anyways.

I was confused for a while because I thought I was on the Oilers board. Reading the past couple of pages, you'd think Jesper Bratt is the second coming of freaking Connor McDavid!

Reactions: mdj12784

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Please stop, your level of homerism is embarrassing. Patrick Laine is on an entire different level when comparing him to Bratt. Jesper is a good player but Laine is already a star, wheater you like or not and calling him one dimensional is borderline laughable.

He's a tremendous playmaker but if your linemates can't finish, it doesn't show up on stat sheets.
With that said, if you have the shot he has, you should be shooting the puck 9 times out of 10 anyways.

I was confused for a while because I thought I was on the Oilers board. Reading the past couple of pages, you'd think Jesper Bratt is the second coming of freaking Connor McDavid!

I'm just excluding Bratt from this altogether because I don't feel like comparing the 2.
Laine spent most of his time with at least one of Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele and Wheeler... Not exactly guys who can't finish. Laine is as one dimensional as they come. He is great at that dimension and it's one of the better dimensions to be but he is clearly one dimensional. His underlying numbers are pretty bad too. His last 2 seasons he's literally been the forward version of Rasmus Ristolainen. Big, Finnish, booming shot, bad 5v5 metrics and almost 50% of their production coming from the PP

Reactions: glenwo2

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm just excluding Bratt from this altogether because I don't feel like comparing the 2.
Laine spent most of his time with at least one of Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele and Wheeler... Not exactly guys who can't finish. Laine is as one dimensional as they come. He is great at that dimension and it's one of the better dimensions to be but he is clearly one dimensional. His underlying numbers are pretty bad too. His last 2 seasons he's literally been the forward version of Rasmus Ristolainen. Big, Finnish, booming shot, bad 5v5 metrics and almost 50% of their production coming from the PP

No don't you remember all those sweet passes Laine floated to Wheeler and Connor after dangling through the neutral zone, only to have those bozos bang them off the glass excuse me I'm going to go drink some more paint.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011

He's a tremendous playmaker but if your linemates can't finish, it doesn't show up on stat sheets. With that said, if you have the shot he has, you should be shooting the puck 9 times out of 10 anyways.

Laine is not known for his playmaking ability. Hell, even his draft profile was all based on his shooting. You know what that makes him? One dimensional. It's a hell of a dimension, and arguably the most important dimension for a forward to have, but it's only one.

Doesn't matter. End of the day we aren't bringing Laine here. You can tell we're near the end of the waiting period since everyone is super restless.

What I will say is that Bratt is the kind of player you really want to hang on to because his ceiling is pretty high right now, and I think he has the tools to get close to it. I wasn't a huge believer after his rookie season but last year he was head and shoulders even better than his first year. A full season I think he's gonna be way up there in points. We'll hopefully see that this year. Kid's legit.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Tremendous playmaker? Now you are legit just making things up.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
what other dimensions do people want from laine? does nobody understand the concept of putting him with a defensively responsible, playmaking center and watching him fill the net? if only we had a defensively responsible, playmaking center. maybe a swiss one? oh well.

i actually agree with @Taylor Hall (for once)...the homerism is off the charts. i thought nico vs pettersson was bad, now we’re seriously arguing bratt over laine?

if you want to say laine’s next contract makes getting him prohibitive, fine. you’re still wrong, but fine. but talent-wise? results-wise? it’s not really close. again, apply the test of going to the main boards and posting a proposal of bratt for laine and a draft pick (since bratt is worth more, having all those dimensions) and see how well that’s received.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
25 year old ascending top 4 DMen should not be traded for wingers IMO
So you wouldn't trade Larsson for Hall? There are no general absolutes regarding any trade scenario and divers opinions should be appreciated.

I don't think, the Devils are already in a state, where they load up for a cup run. Too many unproven parts or unknowns. But value wise this is not a horrible trade for NJ.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Tremendous playmaker? Now you are legit just making things up.

Ok, playmaker might not be the best term. He’s a very solid passer but with the shot he has, he’ll opt to pull the trigger more often then not and that’s exactly what he should do. Is he the next coming of Adam Oates, absolutely not but he is able to find the open man when needed. Saying he’s one dimensional isn’t a fair assessment of his game.

I have no idea why giving props to a player from another team seams so difficult to do around here.

If he was part of our organization, everyone would have a different tune.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So you wouldn't trade Larsson for Hall? There are no general absolutes regarding any trade scenario and divers opinions should be appreciated.

I don't think, the Devils are already in a state, where they load up for a cup run. Too many unproven parts or unknowns. But value wise this is not a horrible trade for NJ.
Larsson was in no way ascending, he had completely stagnated and still hasn't taken any steps forward since his 3rd year.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ok, playmaker might not be the best term. He’s a very solid passer but with the shot he has, he’ll opt to pull the trigger more often then not and that’s exactly what he should do. Is he the next coming of Adam Oates, absolutely not but he is able to find the open man when needed. Saying he’s one dimensional isn’t a fair assessment of his game.

I have no idea why giving props to a player from another team seams so difficult to do around here.

If he was part of our organization, everyone would have a different tune.

"He's a very solid passer". According to who? It's difficult to find anyone that will tell you that Laine is anything but terrible at anything but shooting. Here's a blurb from an analysis of unsigned RFA published by The Athletic.

Patrik Laine
Projected Contract: $7.2M x 7 years

This contract is going to be a problem. Laine was the second overall pick in 2016 and already has 110 goals in 237 games for his NHL career, the sixth most of any player in the league over the last three seasons. He’s the NHL’s premier sharp-shooter and scoring goals earns the big bucks in this league.
The issue then is the fact that Laine doesn’t really do anything else and his most recent season is far from inspiring. He was good in 2017-18 with 44 goals and 70 points, but slowed down to just 30 goals and 20 assists in 2018-19 while looking like one of the league’s weakest defensive players. That’s more admissible when he’s scoring at an elite rate, but there’s no guarantee he gets back to that level. He doesn’t drive play on offence either and also isn’t much of a playmaker compared to other elite offensive stars.

By the numbers: Evaluating the stacked crop of restricted...

Sorry, I know it's a subscription site, but I don't know where else to find this kind of player analysis.

This is not an issue of "giving props to a player from another team", if we were talking about Marner or Rantanen I would be singing a very different tune. Laine scares me because he IS a one dimensional player, and even that one dimension wasn't good last year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Lets not act like the Larsson for Hall trade some sort of norm. It was the exception to the rule.

Not to mention Larsson's development hadnt really b een progressing whereas Severson's most certainly is. Not to mention we're also giving up Bratt as well.

I wouldn't even consider that deal and frankly I am surprised people would.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
"He's a very solid passer". According to who? It's difficult to find anyone that will tell you that Laine is anything but terrible at anything but shooting. Here's a blurb from an analysis of unsigned RFA published by The Athletic.

Patrik Laine
Projected Contract: $7.2M x 7 years

This contract is going to be a problem. Laine was the second overall pick in 2016 and already has 110 goals in 237 games for his NHL career, the sixth most of any player in the league over the last three seasons. He’s the NHL’s premier sharp-shooter and scoring goals earns the big bucks in this league.
The issue then is the fact that Laine doesn’t really do anything else and his most recent season is far from inspiring. He was good in 2017-18 with 44 goals and 70 points, but slowed down to just 30 goals and 20 assists in 2018-19 while looking like one of the league’s weakest defensive players. That’s more admissible when he’s scoring at an elite rate, but there’s no guarantee he gets back to that level. He doesn’t drive play on offence either and also isn’t much of a playmaker compared to other elite offensive stars.

By the numbers: Evaluating the stacked crop of restricted...

Sorry, I know it's a subscription site, but I don't know where else to find this kind of player analysis.

This is not an issue of "giving props to a player from another team", if we were talking about Marner or Rantanen I would be singing a very different tune. Laine scares me because he IS a one dimensional player, and even that one dimension wasn't good last year.

The guy had a bad season, and still managed to score 30 freaking goals, at age 21, let's just relax for a second and breath a little.

I don’t know why there’s this obsession to judge players based off the year that just passed and forget about the others. We live in a world of "what have you done for me lately" and this is just another prime example of that.

If he can score goals at an alarming rate, the rest of his game can easily be "fixed". I’d take a sharpshooter like him on my team any day of the week. Like another poster pointed out, pair him with a play making center who’s also defensively responsible (like Hischier), sit back and enjoy the show.

Not every star can do it all. I wouldn’t give two licks if our 40 goal scorer can’t play defence all that well or assist on every other goal scored by his linemates. There’s less then a handful of players that can do what Laine does and that’s something you can’t teach or minimize when evaluating his play.

If by some miracle, we were to acquire Patrick Laine tomorrow, this place would be flipping the f*** out, I can guarantee that and all this nonsense would be a thing of the past.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Lets not act like the Larsson for Hall trade some sort of norm. It was the exception to the rule.

Not to mention Larsson's development hadnt really b een progressing whereas Severson's most certainly is. Not to mention we're also giving up Bratt as well.

I wouldn't even consider that deal and frankly I am surprised people would.

Severson is progressing in which area? He did rack up good #’s offensively but he’s still atrocious in his own zone. Larsson was the opposite, solid defensive stats but atrocious offensively. If Severson isn’t giving us offense, what else is he doing?

Adding Bratt is to sweeten the deal because we’d be getting the younger player with elite potential when comparing Severson and Laine.

Anyways, this won’t happen, unfortunately for us. I was just intrigued to see if such a deal would entice our fanbase but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad