Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Get used to it, it’s PK. He’ll do and say things that hockey players “shouldn’t” and it rubs some people the wrong way, but at his core, he’s a team player.
Is this really a case of a guy saying something he shouldn't?

I see it as more of a: "No matter what you say, someone, somewhere, will find a problem with it" type of situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You know that nico is 6'1 right? I swear you dont look up anything and whatever your brain feels is true you just say.

And it's not just Nico. We have Zacha, Wood, Simmonds, and Zajac who all have size, and even though they might not slot into our imagined top six of Hall, Hishcier, Hughes, Bratt, Gusev, and Palmieri, are offensive contributors.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And it's not just Nico. We have Zacha, Wood, Simmonds, and Zajac who all have size, and even though they might not slot into our imagined top six of Hall, Hishcier, Hughes, Bratt, Gusev, and Palmieri, are offensive contributors.
And a guy like Zajac will probably get more TOI then guys on the "2nd" line.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Is this really a case of a guy saying something he shouldn't?

I see it as more of a: "No matter what you say, someone, somewhere, will find a problem with it" type of situation.
That’s why I put that word in quotes. To you and me, that’s an innocuous statement. But hockey purists look at this statement and see the worst.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Why are you constantly bringing up Height? It has nothing to do with anything. (and you think I lost credibility?)

Maybe in Football, Basketball, and Baseball...Height matters but Hockey? Only if you're a Goaltender, imo.

And they are both the same age.

What makes you think Bratt won't develop a shot and score more goals while being a Playmaker?

At this point, Laine is who he is : A one-dimensional sniper.

Somehow I don't think he will develop any playmaking skills.

You either have that ability or you don't.

Sorry but I prefer players who are NOT One-Dimensional and can do other things to help their team when their shot is NOT going in the net. o_O
Sorry, I know you're a big Bratt fan, but Laine is the kink of player we need, despite his shortcomings. We really need a right handed shoot first player with size to go with all our smaller playmakers.

That said, I'd give up Bratt for him, but I wouldn't be so willing to give up Severson too. Not with Vats possibly gone next year and a fairly limited D pipeline.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Sorry, I know you're a big Bratt fan, but Laine is the kink of player we need, despite his shortcomings. We really need a right handed shoot first player with size to go with all our smaller playmakers.

That said, I'd give up Bratt for him, but I wouldn't be so willing to give up Severson too. Not with Vats possibly gone next year and a fairly limited D pipeline.
Respectfully disagree. Bratt is not going to command as much money as Laine likely will and we need to save big time contracts for Hall Nico and Jack. Adding Laine to that would likely mean losing out on someone like Gusev or Boqvist or even Zacha or McLeod if they find their games and live up to their potential. Bratt fits in more nicely for the long terms especially if Laine is lookin for 8-10 a year. His goal scoring is very good and I think last year was a down year for him but yeah I wouldn’t add him to this core necessarily. If Gusev wasn’t here it’s a different story for me since there would be an obvious hole in the top 6. That’s my opinion.

Reactions: glenwo2

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
@Bleedred

@Taylor Hall

Yeah...he didn't fade, BlackJack. We are in agreement.

He got hurt by an errant puck in practice which caused him to miss a good part of the beginning of the season.

Then he got hurt by another errant puck on his leg during the latter half(I think) of our forgettable season last year and was shut down the rest of the way.

So no. He most certainly did not fade.

BTW, remember this?

2u0e82.jpg

But yeah...let's trade him for a one-dimensional player whose only strength is his shot.
QsrS1La.gif

We already have that type of player : His name is Kyle Palmieri.

Huh? Palmieri is far from one dimensional. He is really good defensively as well

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

The plot thickens...

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I honestly don't understand this, Palmieri is a superb righty shot and has good goal totals. No, he's not on the level of Laine, but he plays a more rounded game. Look at the players Laine had to play with last year: Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Little. The Jets are loaded to the gills with talented offensive forwards. How many goals and points would Kyle Palmieri get if he played next to Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifle?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
might be on the PK this year depending on if Rooney makes the roster, good solid defensive wing. He has rotated in the PK in the past with injuries.

We have the trio of Zacha, Zajac and Coleman who are locks then I'd go with Bratt as the next best option with guys like Nico and Palms rotating in at times

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
First, Palms > Laine. Palms is one of the best 2-way wings and a local guy.

Rookie Camp can’t come soon enough. Boqvist, McLeod and Hughes should run circles around the competition.

Final thoughts:

Hall Hughes Palms
Gusev Nico Bratt/Simmonds

There are many potential line combos but putting Hughes with Gusev and Bratt seems more risk than reward. Even swapping Simmonds with Bratt the line seems a little risky.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
While we're on the topic of Bratt I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that a guy who had just turned 19 and was a 6th round pick a little over a year prior who never even played in the SHL managed to make an NHL team and put up 35 pts in 74 games. Then went on a have a 50+ pt pace season on an offensively inept and injury ridden team at 20 years old. It just makes no sense

If Bratt can become stronger on his stick and on the puck one-on-one.

His PK numbers are the 4th best on the team for forwards over the last 2 seasons outdoing guys like Rooney, Nico and Palms. He should get the last spot

Last edited:
Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If Bratt can become stronger on his stick and on the puck one-on-one.

He will do that as a simple function of physical maturation. I think that might best explain why I'm so high on him; Bratt has the hard parts of the game figured out already. His intelligence is off the charts, he's fantastic in tight spaces, he's perhaps the most creative playmaker we've had since Elias, and he's actually a pretty good shooter. Everything he's already shown only figures to get better as he matures physically.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I believe Taylor Hall is our best trade chip. I am starting to realize he seems to be the type of guy who wants to play in a big market such as NYR or Toronto. I think it would be very, very wise for the Devils to try to strike a deal with Toronto for Mitch Marner. Or with Vancouver for Boeser +. Or with Calgary for Matthew Tkachuk. Or Winnipeg for Laine/Connor+

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I believe Taylor Hall is our best trade chip. I am starting to realize he seems to be the type of guy who wants to play in a big market such as NYR or Toronto. I think it would be very, very wise for the Devils to try to strike a deal with Toronto for Mitch Marner. Or with Vancouver for Boeser +. Or with Calgary for Matthew Tkachuk. Or Winnipeg for Laine/Connor+

Nice random assumptions based on absolutely nothing. Also lol at thinking teams will trade a early 20's star and add to get a late 20's star with an injury history and one year left

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Palms had a better year last year than Laine did, dont really think you can even debate that. Similar scoring output, much better overall player than Laine last year. I dont think he is a more talented player (obviously) or even a more valuable player moving forward but last year he was better no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad