Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Hynes won't get fired unless the team is JMac bad. He just got extended and I think it warms Shero's seat a tad if he does pull that trigger so soon after they re-upped him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Are people really expecting 30 goals and 60 points from Simmonds? I haven't seen them.

Last year he had 17 goals, that's not good I guess, but I'd be OK with it, happier with 20, even more happy if he scored more then that, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could score 20+, especially if injuries were an issue last year while he is healthy this season.

there have been multiple people who have been saying they expect 20-25 goals which is insane to me

if he hits 15 I will be very pleasantly surprised tbh

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he also played on better offenses than the Devils so not sure thats a great gauge of anything

Guy was not good last year. Sure maybe it was injuries, who knows. But I think some people here are going to expect the Simmonds from a few years back in Philly and he is nowhere near that player anymore.

look - im not saying he's going to score 30 goals for us last year, but look at the list of injuries he had 2 years ago.

"A tear in his pelvic area, fractured ankle, pulled groin, busted mouth (twice) and the torn ligament in his thumb"

ok that explains away a miserable 2017-18. he spent the offseason after that recovering from surgeries, so he went into the following season behind the 8 ball as far as conditioning and training were concerned. but he's only 30 years old, which for today's athletes isn't the production cliff that it used to be, especially for someone whose game is basically built on being a netfront presence and not speed or finesse.

assuming that he is healther than he has been in the past few years he should be better 5 on 5, and yes he will likely be the net front guy on the 1st pp, and the best one that we've had in years. he shouldn't be as bad as he was the past 2 years for very simple and obvious reasons

Reactions: HBK27

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I disagree, obviously but if you could elaborate as to why you think it would be a terrible deal to add a potential 40 goal scorer, I would like to hear you out.

1) Vatanen is a pending UFA with a concussion history. The Devils may not even be looking to sign him longterm and I would probably agree with them on that. So if you trade Severson and then Vatanen walks in 10 months, you are left with PK Subban on the right side and....?
2) Jesper Bratt just turned 21 and is already over 0.5 ppg for his career. Using him as a "throw-in" in a deal is kind of silly to me. He is going to be a 50-60 point player if he can stay healthy.
3) the Devils are going to start getting tight up against the cap starting next summer. I am not sure I really want to be throwing around huge money on another winger.

You have some sort of weird obsession with trading Severson which I will never understand.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
And then you likely have no depth on the right side after this year if/when Vat walks (likely will get overpaid in FA with a bounce back season, wouldn’t be a viable long term option anyway if he didn’t). Having a supposed logjam for one season isn’t a reason to make a big deal.

I’m not saying they couldn’t use another sniper (assuming Laine is better than a rich man’s prime Michael Ryder) but this is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I can understand your concerns but I just find it funny that everyone thinks we’ll resign Hall but when it comes to Vatanen, everyone has him off our roster come next year.

If we can give him a guaranteed spot on our 2nd pairing behind Subban, I don’t see why he would be willing to go elsewhere. If he’s chasing the money, I don’t see anyone giving him a 8M$ deal, so his options would be limited and if by any chance he plays like a 8M$ dman, then we should be happy to keep him around.

As for Laine, he’s a sniper and having that type of player alongside Hischier or Hughes would be simply amazing.

I just think that with the acquisition of Subban, Shero has a prime opportunity to move someone like Severson for an upgrade at either LD or RW.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can understand your concerns but I just find it funny that everyone thinks we’ll resign Hall but when it comes to Vatanen, everyone has him off our roster come next year.

If we can give him a guaranteed spot on our 2nd pairing behind Subban, I don’t see why he would be willing to go elsewhere. If he’s chasing the money, I don’t see anyone giving him a 8M$ deal, so his options would be limited and if by any chance he plays like a 8M$ dman, then we should be happy to keep him around.

As for Laine, he’s a sniper and having that type of player alongside Hischier or Hughes would be simply amazing.

I just think that with the acquisition of Subban, Shero has a prime opportunity to move someone like Severson for an upgrade at either LD or RW.

Well I don’t think Hall is a given until he actually resigns BUT the two are drastically different. Price probably won’t be a sticking point with Hall all things considered (the eighth year among other things), and as things stand now he’s a necessity who still played well pre injury while Vat became a luxury the minute they traded for Subban. And a luxury coming off a poor year at that.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

With Vatanen it’s not so much we can’t re-sign him as it is we may not want to.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I disagree, obviously but if you could elaborate as to why you think it would be a terrible deal to add a potential 40 goal scorer, I would like to hear you out.

Laine is probably the worst “40 goal” guy in the league. When he’s not scoring 10 games in a row...he brings absolutely nothing for the 10 games after that. If we’re packaging pieces like Severson and Bratt, I’d rather get a 30 goal scorer that’s actually a player when he’s not on a scoring streak.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Laine is probably the worst “40 goal” guy in the league. When he’s not scoring 10 games in a row...he brings absolutely nothing for the 10 games after that. If we’re packaging pieces like Severson and Bratt, I’d rather get a 30 goal scorer that’s actually a player when he’s not on a scoring streak.

I actually do get the fascination though, his first two years he looked like a star in the making. Last year he looked more like prime Michael Ryder with speed. That would worry me if I’m giving up ‘two’ key contributors on the team to get him AND paying him big money.

Reactions: glenwo2

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
1) Vatanen is a pending UFA with a concussion history. The Devils may not even be looking to sign him longterm and I would probably agree with them on that. So if you trade Severson and then Vatanen walks in 10 months, you are left with PK Subban on the right side and....?
2) Jesper Bratt just turned 21 and is already over 0.5 ppg for his career. Using him as a "throw-in" in a deal is kind of silly to me. He is going to be a 50-60 point player if he can stay healthy.
3) the Devils are going to start getting tight up against the cap starting next summer. I am not sure I really want to be throwing around huge money on another winger.

You have some sort of weird obsession with trading Severson which I will never understand.

Vatanen did have his share of concussions over the years and there’s no denying that but I don’t think it’s a valid reason to just let him walk this summer because if you’re using that reason to not extend his contract, I don’t see why other teams would do different.

Keeping Severson automatically means that one of Vatanen or Severson will get 3rd pairing minutes and that’s not gonna fly with either one of those guys. On top of that Subban is bumping one of those guys off the PP, which is another reason why I’d look to move someone off our right side and our best asset to get something relevant is Severson.

As for Bratt, I love the guy and I would rather keep him around but if we can land someone like Laine, I’d pack his bags ASAP. With Hischier, Hughes, Gusev, Palmieri, Bratt and Hall currently in our top #6, the only player over 6 feet tall is TH. Size isn’t everything but adding someone who can shoot the puck and has a physical presence is something we’re lacking on one of our top 2 lines.

Severson alone won’t get it done and Bratt in this case isn’t a throw in, he’s a player that will even out the deal.

With Hischier and Hughes still on cheap deals, this is the time to do such a move and Shero pulled off a semi miracle with Subban. We all know that Bratt will get paid since he’s a legit forward but I think that both Severson and Bratt’s deals will cover what Laine will make, which evens out our cap situation at the end.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
look, I would absolutely love to get Laine

However, trading two key pieces like Severson and Bratt for him does not make sense from a Devils point of view organizationally speaking

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Vatanen did have his share of concussions over the years and there’s no denying that but I don’t think it’s a valid reason to just let him walk this summer because if you’re using that reason to not extend his contract, I don’t see why other teams would do different.

Keeping Severson automatically means that one of Vatanen or Severson will get 3rd pairing minutes and that’s not gonna fly with either one of those guys. On top of that Subban is bumping one of those guys off the PP, which is another reason why I’d look to move someone off our right side and our best asset to get something relevant is Severson.

As for Bratt, I love the guy and I would rather keep him around but if we can land someone like Laine, I’d pack his bags ASAP. With Hischier, Hughes, Gusev, Palmieri, Bratt and Hall currently in our top #6, the only player over 6 feet tall is TH. Size isn’t everything but adding someone who can shoot the puck and has a physical presence is something we’re lacking on one of our top 2 lines.

Severson alone won’t get it done and Bratt in this case isn’t a throw in, he’s a player that will even out the deal.

With Hischier and Hughes still on cheap deals, this is the time to do such a move and Shero pulled off a semi miracle with Subban. We all know that Bratt will get paid since he’s a legit forward but I think that both Severson and Bratt’s deals will cover what Laine will make, which evens out our cap situation at the end.

No it doesn't. We have no idea how the coaches are going to run the pairings. In Severson's interview from last week he said he could very well see himself or Vatanen playing on the left.

and Vatanen shouldnt have been on the PP even if we didn't get Severson.

and Hischier won't be on a cheap deal anymore past this season, so.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
No it doesn't. We have no idea how the coaches are going to run the pairings. In Severson's interview from last week he said he could very well see himself or Vatanen playing on the left.

and Vatanen shouldnt have been on the PP even if we didn't get Severson.

and Hischier won't be on a cheap deal anymore past this season, so.

Playing either or out off position seems like a terrible idea IMO. That also means that one of Greene, Butcher or Smith is playing on his weak side as well.

Vatanen is a better option on the PP over Severson simply because of his shot. Damon has a soft shot that rarely reaches the net.

As for Hischier, he’ll get a nice bump salary wise but he’ll basically take the money of someone coming off our books this summer or next.

It won’t happen but if it did, it would definitely make us a better team IMO.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
20 is insane? He had 17 last year.

Like I said, based upon the player I watched a lot of last year (I live in Flyers country), expecting 20-25 is silly to me. He looked completely toast most of the time.

I'm just saying I think we should temper our expectations. Then again we have a few people who are projecting guys like Hughes and Gusev for like 70 points right out of the gate so what do I know.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Please, Severson isn’t a better option over Vatanen on our PP. If it was so, he would’ve been on our PP when Vatanen was healthy.

Damon got some PP time because Sami was out, not because he earned it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
look, I would absolutely love to get Laine

However, trading two key pieces like Severson and Bratt for him does not make sense from a Devils point of view organizationally speaking
I'm the opposite, I'm not that hot on Laine, but think that proposal looks about right. Trading either Sev's or Bratt, or both in this case, doesn't open a gaping hole on the roster.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Please, Severson isn’t a better option over Vatanen on our PP. If it was so, he would’ve been on our PP when Vatanen was healthy.

Yes he is and he was still on PP1 with Vatanen healthy...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

3.54 pts/60 on the pp for Sev's last season

2.65 for Vat's.

But we don't really need either for the PP, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm the opposite, I'm not that hot on Laine, but think that proposal looks about right. Trading either Sev's or Bratt, or both in this case, doesn't open a gaping hole on the roster.

Trading a 25 year old top 4 DMan (signed to a great contract) on a team where the D isn't exactly world beaters doesn't open a gaping hole...?

I'm sorry

what?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Like I said, based upon the player I watched a lot of last year (I live in Flyers country), expecting 20-25 is silly to me. He looked completely toast most of the time.

I'm just saying I think we should temper our expectations. Then again we have a few people who are projecting guys like Hughes and Gusev for like 70 points right out of the gate so what do I know.
He was on pace for 20 with Philly before being traded.

Now I'm not expecting him to bring much outside of his defined role. He's not a playmaker so I don't expect a lot of assists, thus his overall point totals may not be great, I don't think he's much of a puck mover, I'm doubting he's bringing a lot to the defensive end(though on this I'm not sure).

But I do think he will still score some goals. Work the corners, create havoc in front of the net.

And when needed, beat some guys up.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
yeah, so this is wrong.

Was Severson on our PP when Vatanen was healthy? Was Severson on our PP when Vatanen went down?

Show me where I am wrong and I’ll give you credit but if your main argument is your personal POV when ignoring facts, then one would say that you’re wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad