Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Subban Vats Carrick down the right side. Where is the gaping hole?

I mean Severson is definitely better then Carrick but having Carrick as our 3rd pairing dman instead of Severson/Vatanen while sliding Laine in our top #6 over Bratt makes us a much better team IMO.

Having 3 of the same on our right side is redundant and if we can move our best asset, trade wise, to upgrade another position of weakness, it makes it even more enticing.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I mean Severson is definitely better then Carrick but having Carrick as our 3rd pairing dman instead of Severson/Vatanen while sliding Laine in our top #6 over Bratt makes us a much better team IMO.

Having 3 of the same on our right side is redundant and if we can move our best asset, trade wise, to upgrade another position of weakness, it makes it even more enticing.

Very big of you

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

top 6 forward is not a weakness right now. We need quality defenders more than we need quality forwards at this juncture.

like I said, I don't really know why are you so obsessed with trading Severson. Seems like whenever you pop in here, that's all you like to discuss.

Reactions: glenwo2

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
again, Vatanen has a long injury/concussion history and is a pending UFA

Carrick is a career AAAA player

its hilarious how underrated Severson is by a lot of people here just because he isn't Scott Stevens in his prime in his own end.

I mean, I know it wasn't exactly an Olympic roster, but there's a reason Severson was invited to play for Canada. His all around game makes him very important, he's faster than Vatanen and bigger, and Vatanen hasn't scored at the rate Severson scored at last year in 4 years.

I don't hate Vats, and I understand why we needed to trade for him in 2017, but Severson is a better defenseman in every way, and unless Vatanen is willing to sign for #4 dman money (he won't) the Devils should really just let him walk.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

its hilarious how underrated Severson is by a lot of people here just because he isn't Scott Stevens in his prime in his own end.

It had nothing to do with Severson not being Scott Stevens. It’s more about upgrading a weakness when we’re stacked on the right side of our blue line.

Ideally, I’d look for a #1 LHD but there’s none on the market. There is however a 21 year old sniper who’s a goal machine with size that seems to be available for the right price.

Yes, Vatanen has had injuries issues, mostly concussion related but so has other players around the league and we shouldn’t be scared to resign him if he wants to stay with us. He’s still fairly young and is a legit top #4 player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I agree Vat's injury history is a concern. But him being a UFA not so much given if we traded Sev's, I'd just change plans to sign Vats(something, I currently do not advocate).

And I like Sev's as a player, so I'm not under rating him at all, I'm not even saying I'd make this trade, but we do currently have 3 guys capable of playing top 4 on the right side. Trading Sev's would not create a gaping hole.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m just throwing it out there but if Laine and the Jets continue to butt heads, I wouldn’t mind it one bit if Shero were to pounce on a potential deal.

Yes, I do understand that our blue line needs help but if a package like Severson and someone like Bratt and picks/prospects is enough to acquire a sniper like Laine, I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Having Subban, Severson and Vatanen on the right side seems like a waste because either Severson or Vatanen will get reduced minutes and yes, upgrading our left side should be our #1 priority but our right wing depth needs help as well. As for Bratt, I love his game and I honestly thinks he can turn into a legit top #6 forward but we have several undersized forwards as it is and adding a pure sniper with size on one of our top two lines would be ideal.

I have no idea if that offer would be enough to pry Laine away from Winnipeg but I can see us being a prime candidate if he’s being dangled because the Jets are looking for a RHD and we have several solid forwards on cheap deals. Severson’s contract is a real plus for them as well, considering their cap situation.

One can dream I guess.

I don’t blame you for trying to get Laine but signs point to Vatanen - Subban being the top pairing.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It had nothing to do with Severson not being Scott Stevens. It’s more about upgrading a weakness when we’re stacked on the right side of our blue line.

Ideally, I’d look for a #1 LHD but there’s none on the market. There is however a 21 year old sniper who’s a goal machine with size that seems to be available for the right price.

Yes, Vatanen has had injuries issues, mostly concussion related but so has other players around the league and we shouldn’t be scared to resign him if he wants to stay with us. He’s still fairly young and is a legit top #4 player.

Laine and Palmieri are both catch and release wingers that play the half boards on the powerplay, although Palmieri is a much better playmaker and is much better defensively. Whatever goals Laine scores are cannibalizing Palmieri's production.

Laine will get you 40 goals from the faceoff circle, Palmieri will get you 30. We're giving up Bratt and Severson for 10 extra goals?

Reactions: glenwo2

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Carrick is a good defenseman to carry on your roster because injuries are inevitable and it's nice to plug in a guy that can play 12-14 minutes without giving up too much. For your every day #6 you want something better.
My guess is Shero signed him to a 2 year deal with the thought that he is more then just someone you stick up in the teams box.

I know it was a small sample, and you don't want him in the top 4 long term, but he was not exposed in that role last seasonn

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Laine and Palmieri are both catch and release wingers that play the half boards on the powerplay, although Palmieri is a much better playmaker and is much better defensively. Whatever goals Laine scores are cannibalizing Palmieri's production.

Laine will get you 40 goals from the faceoff circle, Palmieri will get you 30. We're giving up Bratt and Severson for 10 extra goals?
Now this argument definitely has some gaping holes in it.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
My guess is Shero signed him to a 2 year deal with the thought that he is more then just someone you stick up in the teams box. I know it was a small sample, and you don't want him in the top 4 long term, but he was not exposed in that role last seasonn

I think a #7 defenseman will probably end up playing as much as a backup goaltender. I want a quality guy in that role, and I think Carrick is an excellent option. I still don't believe he is #6 quality. To the original point, there is a absolutely a quality gap between Vatanen and Carrick, and I don't want Carrick as the everyday 3rd pairing defenseman as long as we have better options.

Reactions: Darkauron

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think a #7 defenseman will probably end up playing as much as a backup goaltender. I want a quality guy in that role, and I think Carrick is an excellent option. I still don't believe he is #6 quality. To the original point, there is a absolutely a quality gap between Vatanen and Carrick, and I don't want Carrick as the everyday 3rd pairing defenseman as long as we have better options.

Mueller or Carrick can fill that #6 role. You either rotate them in the lineup based off tactical schemes and the other becomes your #7.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I don’t blame you for trying to get Laine but signs point to Vatanen - Subban being the top pairing.

If that’s the case, who’s playing on their weak side... Greene, Butler or Smith?

Are we looking at something like this?

Vatanen-Subban
Greene-Severson
Smith-Butcher
Carrick/Mueller

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Season hasn’t even started and the “trade Severson” calls begin

giphy.gif

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

So we can’t have a 40 and 30 goal scorer on the same team, playing the same position; on different lines?

I don’t really understand your post :huh:

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Hall-Hischier-Laine
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Wood
Boqvist-Zacha-Simmonds

Butcher-Subban
Greene-Severson
Smith-Carrick
Mueller