Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)

No pressure.
JKRXyPw.png

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to notice the avatar! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't even notice your avy change until it was pointed out. I'm blind. :D

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Put it this way, I think the following is our most likely starting forwards (not line combos, just starters at each position LW-C-RW)

HallHischierPalmieri
BrattHughesGusev
ColemanZajacSimmonds
WoodZachaBoqvist
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think if he has a strong camp he can beat out any of the following for a spot:

Wood
Coleman
Zacha
Boqvist

I see the rest as roster locks. I agree with you that he'd need to really earn it the way Bratt did a couple years ago, but I think it's there.
I see zero chance of him beating out Wood Coleman or Zacha.

Boqvist I could see, if they want more of a defensive oriented grinder type. Plus he is a righty.

Reactions: BurntToast

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Saw Michael Mcleod on the ice yesterday in Oakville, ON. The kid looks really good, looking to prove people wrong and crack the roster or at least be an extra. Not many spots open but look for him to have a good preseason
What was the setting?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Absolutely. People are acting like it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be a marginal contributor this year. It's possible, but I feel like no one is even considering the possibility that he could be more than that.
I think 20 goals is a pretty good expectation, which in addition to the physicality, would be a solid contribution. And I do think he could bring more offensively.

The pre signing narrative that he was a shot player was never one I adhered too.

Camille the Eel

McLeod was good on the forecheck last year during that swing out west when we iced mostly an AHL lineup.

I always harp on this but I hope we have at least one line that can play a punishing, heavy forecheck. And actually having speed as well as size are keys to the forecheck. Those first two guys in getting on top of the defense before it can get set is what makes it work. McLeod was good at it.

Not that he’s going to make the team. But being able to ice a balanced team that can play D and forecheck too, when necessary, that can trap and clog up center ice as well as run and gun would be good to see.

That’s the goal for Hynes I think, is to coach this group and design a system into that balance, utilizing his personnel to those ends.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Love that we're getting an infusion of new vets along with the new kids, hoping the team as a whole can feed off one another as the roster in a lot of ways is something of a reboot.

Subban and Simmonds
Gusev, new to NHL but still a veteran
Hughes and Smith, possibly Boqvist (though I think that's less likely now)

At minimum roughly 25% of the roster will be new personnel
That's a lot of new blood, all with something to prove this year

agreed, but that also means we should be patient. if all the new guys don’t gel immediately we shouldn’t freak out and have a meltdown. it could take some time for everyone to get comfortable

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think 20 goals is a pretty good expectation, which in addition to the physicality, would be a solid contribution. And I do think he could bring more offensively.

The pre signing narrative that he was a shot player was never one I adhered too.

hes going to have to put numbers up on the PP because he has been a really bad ES player the past few years

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Oh I certainly don't expect things to gel right away, particularly with regard to rookie additions and Gusev being an NHL rookie himself.

Most of our defense is at least familiar playing with each other, and I figure PK will play his game while Smith is broken in gently.

Goaltending is where I'm still not sure how we end up, but if that goes reasonably well, then in time I'm confident the offense will sort itself out.

I just hope they have some new ideas on the power play because it was mostly bad last year, very frustrating.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
im confused 'cause the around the league tread has a few posts about mcleod perhaps taking a spot…….and i was looking for it here…….

…it wasnt here……so, to bring it here to this thread… coleman will be on the opening night roster….as will zacha and wood……

as for boqvist vs mcleod? camp's coming :thumbu:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
@Blackjack

Do you honestly think McLeod could beat out Coleman for a spot? Is that a legitimate take? Even if McLeod records 10 points in 4 preseason games he still wouldn't make the roster if it came down to a spot between him and Coleman.

That's a ridiculous statement that you don't see Blake Coleman as a lock for the NHL team.

Reactions: BurntToast

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
im confused 'cause the around the league tread has a few posts about mcleod perhaps taking a spot…….and i was looking for it here…….

…it wasnt here……so, to bring it here to this thread… coleman will be on the opening night roster….as will zacha and wood……

as for boqvist vs mcleod? camp's coming :thumbu:

Even for the offseason that’s a ridiculous crossover, those posts have been moved here

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
How many games does Hynes get if they suck?

We’ve seen St. Louis and Pittsburgh both turn things around in recent past with coaching changes, but does that mean our chances of re-signing Hall go out the window?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
hes going to have to put numbers up on the PP because he has been a really bad ES player the past few years
Well yeah, but net front presence on the PP is a pretty obvious role for him, so he'll probably rack up some garbage goals there.

And he has had 12 ES goals in each of the last 2 years. Which would rank 6th on the Devils during that time. His #'s have dipped from when he consistently hovered around 30 goals, but 17 goals and 30 points last year is not terrible, and 24 goals and 46 the year before is good.

If injuries were slowing him down the past few years, and he can get back into form, he's going to be a very nice pick up. Heck, I'd take those 17-18 #'s and run.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’m just throwing it out there but if Laine and the Jets continue to butt heads, I wouldn’t mind it one bit if Shero were to pounce on a potential deal.

Yes, I do understand that our blue line needs help but if a package like Severson and someone like Bratt and picks/prospects is enough to acquire a sniper like Laine, I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Having Subban, Severson and Vatanen on the right side seems like a waste because either Severson or Vatanen will get reduced minutes and yes, upgrading our left side should be our #1 priority but our right wing depth needs help as well. As for Bratt, I love his game and I honestly thinks he can turn into a legit top #6 forward but we have several undersized forwards as it is and adding a pure sniper with size on one of our top two lines would be ideal.

I have no idea if that offer would be enough to pry Laine away from Winnipeg but I can see us being a prime candidate if he’s being dangled because the Jets are looking for a RHD and we have several solid forwards on cheap deals. Severson’s contract is a real plus for them as well, considering their cap situation.

One can dream I guess.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How many games does Hynes get if they suck?

We’ve seen St. Louis and Pittsburgh both turn things around in recent past with coaching changes, but does that mean our chances of re-signing Hall go out the window?
I think Hall might like Hynes, but if we stink early, fire Hynes then go on a run with a new coach, I think Hall would like the new coach even more.

Reactions: Patrik26

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’m a big fan of Taylor Hall but our team can’t revolve around Hall’s needs. If Hynes has to go because we’re massively underachieving despite all the upgrades Shero did this offseason, then you sack him, period.

If Hall doesn’t like it, though luck. The big picture is winning games and making the playoffs, not to please one guy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Well yeah, but net front presence on the PP is a pretty obvious role for him, so he'll probably rack up some garbage goals there.

And he has had 12 ES goals in each of the last 2 years. Which would rank 6th on the Devils during that time. His #'s have dipped from when he consistently hovered around 30 goals, but 17 goals and 30 points last year is not terrible, and 24 goals and 46 the year before is good.

If injuries were slowing him down the past few years, and he can get back into form, he's going to be a very nice pick up. Heck, I'd take those 17-18 #'s and run.

he also played on better offenses than the Devils so not sure thats a great gauge of anything

Guy was not good last year. Sure maybe it was injuries, who knows. But I think some people here are going to expect the Simmonds from a few years back in Philly and he is nowhere near that player anymore.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m just throwing it out there but if Laine and the Jets continue to butt heads, I wouldn’t mind it one bit if Shero were to pounce on a potential deal.

Yes, I do understand that our blue line needs help but if a package like Severson and someone like Bratt and picks/prospects is enough to acquire a sniper like Laine, I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Having Subban, Severson and Vatanen on the right side seems like a waste because either Severson or Vatanen will get reduced minutes and yes, upgrading our left side should be our #1 priority but our right wing depth needs help as well. As for Bratt, I love his game and I honestly thinks he can turn into a legit top #6 forward but we have several undersized forwards as it is and adding a pure sniper with size on one of our top two lines would be ideal.

I have no idea if that offer would be enough to pry Laine away from Winnipeg but I can see us being a prime candidate if he’s being dangled because the Jets are looking for a RHD and we have several solid forwards on cheap deals. Severson’s contract is a real plus for them as well, considering their cap situation.

One can dream I guess.
I think Sev's Bratt and a good prospect/pick is a pretty good package.

But I'd be hesitant. If your looking at his point totals, Laine looks like a star player, but his underlying #'s from this past season show him to be a disaster. Yes he was still a top pp sniper in the league, and that is an important role, but just about everything else pointed to a terrible season.

Now those underlying #'s looked pretty healthy in previous seasons, so I wonder what went on there, and that is where I would have to lean on the scouts. Injuries? Did the league figure him out a bit? Lack of motivation? I have no clue.

I think it is true that Sev's and Bratt are guys that we could move without feeling a pinch on the roster, especially Bratt given we are getting a winger back. But Laine obviously wants big $$$, so that needs to be factored in as well, especially if we think he is more a PP sniper, then a true all around super star.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

One can dream I guess.

thats a terrible trade for the Devils, sheesh.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

One can dream I guess.

And then you likely have no depth on the right side after this year if/when Vat walks (likely will get overpaid in FA with a bounce back season, wouldn’t be a viable long term option anyway if he didn’t). Having a supposed logjam for one season isn’t a reason to make a big deal.

I’m not saying they couldn’t use another sniper (assuming Laine is better than a rich man’s prime Michael Ryder) but this is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. You’re just looking for an excuse to trade Severson again.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
he also played on better offenses than the Devils so not sure thats a great gauge of anything

Guy was not good last year. Sure maybe it was injuries, who knows. But I think some people here are going to expect the Simmonds from a few years back in Philly and he is nowhere near that player anymore.
Are people really expecting 30 goals and 60 points from Simmonds? I haven't seen them.

Last year he had 17 goals, that's not good I guess, but I'd be OK with it, happier with 20, even more happy if he scored more then that, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could score 20+, especially if injuries were an issue last year while he is healthy this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad