Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Buffalo just traded Montour for a young LHD (Guhle). If they survive the deadline I’d have to think some Anaheim LHD will be available in the offseason if the team is going into full rebuild.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I don't think the Devils will win a Severson trade for multiple reasons. Mainly that he wasn't a first round pick, has a reputation for being so-so defensively, and has good but not great offensive numbers. Never mind the fact that he's been a play driver, has had god awful d partners and is signed to a good, long-term deal.

Reactions: R8NJ and Bleedred

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Buffalo just traded Montour for a young LHD (Guhle). If they survive the deadline I’d have to think some Anaheim LHD will be available in the offseason if the team is going into full rebuild.

Apparently Cam Fowler has been less than impressive since signing a contract extension prior to last season. He's a guy I've always been enamored with but I have to admit I haven't watched much of him the past couple of seasons. Seems like the type of guy who would fit our current style of play but I'm not sure how viable an option he is

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Apparently Cam Fowler has been less than impressive since signing a contract extension prior to last season. He's a guy I've always been enamored with but I have to admit I haven't watched much of him the past couple of seasons. Seems like the type of guy who would fit our current style of play but I'm not sure how viable an option he is

As long as he doesn’t cost an arm and a leg in a deal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah there's really next to no chance Greene gets traded, unless you're dealing him off to Long Island for nothing perhaps.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Cormier getting signed to an NHL ELC that includes this year suggests to me that the Devils are thinking about moving Kinkaid. I agree that it would be unusual for a team to pick up a goalie like that but there could be deals out there.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Cormier getting signed to an NHL ELC that includes this year suggests to me that the Devils are thinking about moving Kinkaid. I agree that it would be unusual for a team to pick up a goalie like that but there could be deals out there.
I mentioned that on twitter, I'm wondering if San Jose is kicking tires.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Shero has history with Murray and rumors are swirling that Ray is going to be active.

You think Fowler would be able to bounce back here?
Absolutely, I haven't watched any of Anaheim's games but from looking at the stat line it appears he has stopped the bleeding following the firing. if you can get him on the cheap for something like Reilly Walsh, and our 2nd rounder then you jump at it. I prefer trying to convince Murray to trade Hampus Lindholm.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Absolutely, I haven't watched any of Anaheim's games but from looking at the stat line it appears he has stopped the bleeding following the firing. if you can get him on the cheap for something like Reilly Walsh, and our 2nd rounder then you jump at it. I prefer trying to convince Murray to trade Hampus Lindholm.

Lindholm would probably cost an arm and a leg. Ty Smith would definitely be a part of a rather large package to get that done.

Would love to try to get something done for Fowler. It's hard to gauge exactly what Murray is trying to do in Anaheim.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Relying on those two unless the upgrade is major isn't a recipe for success.
Butcher is good so I disagree. And leaning on Greene is not a recipe for success, we know that already. He is dreadful. Butcher will be here, Smith has been too dominant in the WHL to go back, so...what happens to the left side if Greene doesn’t go?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
On top of KK being on the block, I believe with the absolute bare defense crop remaining that Severson could be moved tomorrow. It could also happen at the draft or in the summer but I really don't think he makes training camp next season.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
On top of KK being on the block, I believe with the absolute bare defense crop remaining that Severson could be moved tomorrow. It could also happen at the draft or in the summer but I really don't think he makes training camp next season.

What would you expect or hope for in return in a deal involving Sevs?

I don't really think I understand the desire to ship him off. What would you hope to accomplish by trading a young, cost controlled NHL defenseman?

Reactions: R8NJ

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Butcher is good so I disagree. And leaning on Greene is not a recipe for success, we know that already. He is dreadful. Butcher will be here, Smith has been too dominant in the WHL to go back, so...what happens to the left side if Greene doesn’t go?

Like I said unless the upgrade is significant you're then asking Smith, who hasn't played a NHL game and Butcher who hasn't exactly shown a ton of progress to step in and play much larger roles than he's accustomed to. Greene sucks don't get me wrong but I don't know if subtracting him UNLESS THERES A LARGE UPGRADE makes relying on Butcher and Smith the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad