Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Butchers defense is barely NHL level. I know Sevs is frustrating and stupid sometimes, but he is significantly better than Butcher. I really don't get the fascination with him.

He is one of the best defensemen in the league at exiting the zone and he almost never takes penalties. No, he's not going to win awards for how he plays in front of the net, but with his strengths elsewhere he doesn't have to.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If the Devils can get a quality LHD partner for Severson at a reasonable price, I’d be all for giving it a chance. If not, the Devils might need to deal Severson for a defensive upgrade on the right.

With Duchene and Panarin likely leaving town, I wonder if the Blue Jackets go into a rebuilding mode. Maybe someone like Ryan Murray could be available for some futures?

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Personally I’d rather trade off Nasreddine and Kowalsky off the coaching staff before trading Severson.

If you deal off Severson it better be as part of a flurry of moves to retool the defensive roster and improve it, not reduce it. If Severson gets moved I think it’s in the offseason pending additions to the D corps in FA or other trades.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If the Devils can get a quality LHD partner for Severson at a reasonable price, I’d be all for giving it a chance. If not, the Devils might need to deal Severson for a defensive upgrade on the right.

With Duchene and Panarin likely leaving town, I wonder if the Blue Jackets go into a rebuilding mode. Maybe someone like Ryan Murray could be available for some futures?
I think Marco Scandella from Buffalo could be available. They have a ton of defenseman after trading for Montour and he could be squeezed out. $4m cap hit for one more season.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I really don't watch the Sabres, not sure if anyone here is a big fan, but how is Ristolainen not significantly better than Severson? He's trusted with ~25mins per game, put up a 50 point pace over the last 3 years aggregated, supposedly plays with physicality(according to comments above?), and is a highly successful powerplay quarterback. Assuming this ends up being a summer trade, I'd gladly send over Wood and Severson or Severson and a pick
Agree with this Ristolainen is far superior to Severson. We need more of a physical presence at D and Severson is charmin soft.

Reactions: mdj12784

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Personally I’d rather trade off Nasreddine and Kowalsky off the coaching staff before trading Severson.

If you deal off Severson it better be as part of a flurry of moves to retool the defensive roster and improve it, not reduce it. If Severson gets moved I think it’s in the offseason pending additions to the D corps in FA or other trades.
What's wrong with Nasreddine? Our PK is the best thing about our team...

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The defense structure outside the PK is a mess. Our young defenseman are not improving which is a bit of a worry.
Isn't that more to do with what Hynes is running than anything? I'd keep Nasreddine over anyone else on this staff tbqh. Hynes is just completely out of his element in the NHL. It's no wonder he loves AHL fodder cuz he is AHL fodder.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The defense structure outside the PK is a mess. Our young defense man are not improving which is a bit of a worry.
I agree with you on the young guys, but Butcher was given a lot more D zone starts so they are wanting him to grow, hence the reason why hes not having as good a year. Sophomore slump i think is part of it.
Someone mentioned size of the D not being anything. I think that's wrong, this team is tiny defensively (Kreider parked himself in front last game and was not moved). Mueller and Severson are it. I'd like Shero to go get Hamilton, everyone hates on him but his numbers are great (corsi/fenwick are stupid) he can put up points too. If hes not a go-out-for-a-beer -after-the-game-guy (as been suggested) who cares! I'd also look at Nurse. We have Gabriel and Gryba here for that reason, why not have a guy who has size be nasty and can skate.
Maybe its Fowler, but hes another O-heavy D guy.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Someone mentioned size of the D not being anything. I think that's wrong, this team is tiny defensively (Kreider parked himself in front last game and was not moved). Mueller and Severson are it.
If you're big and strong, you can win board battles behind the net. If you're small and quick, you can beat your opponent to loose pucks. We're small and slow. Not a great combination.

I definitely think our D system isn't suited for the guys we have and makes things worse. We really don't have the speed to play man on man, and our wings don't have the awareness to cover them when they chase an opponent up to the point.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
What’s actually wrong with Vats? Lots of stitches from that hit on him that led to a major penalty a while back, sure. But they heal in 10 days, 2 weeks. So it’s a concussion or what? Or are we just sitting him to spare him the storm?
Concussion, that was confirmed by the team the day after it happened.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Honestly, I have a hard time judging defensemen individually that are on terrible defensive teams, and that includes our guys.

Unless you're Erik Gundbranson cuz screw that guy. He's the worts.

EDIT - meant "he's the worst" but worts (warts) works too...

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
This season, Severson and Vatanen have been pretty even in terms of who has been our best Dman. I'd give Vatanen the edge because when he's healthy he is mostly playing against tougher competition. But Severson has looked solid this season. Also, Andy Greene is criminally underrated on this board. You guys have no idea how important he is to the penalty kill unit, as well as the defense core as a whole. I agree he should not be getting top pairing minutes, but what other options does Hynes have? Greene should ideally be on the 3rd pair, playing on the PK, averaging about 18 minutes a night. He averages 21 minutes per game this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad