Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Severson was already on the block (and then taken off) at the draft (Friedman mentioned this on his podcast, I believe). Hynes has usually been a bit lukewarm in his public assessment of his game and really, his biggest flaws haven't gone away. He had an opportunity to cement a top pairing role this season and didn't capitalize. His value is still pretty high, given his age.

It makes sense, but it would take quite a return to make me think we don't lose any trade he's involved in.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Severson was a healthy scratch at times last season. This season he's being played in all situations + toughest minutes and is 2nd in the team on TOI (only 7 seconds behind Vatanen now). So I think they might be valuing him differently compared to what they were valuing him at when they supposedly put him on the block.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Only way I see Severson dealt is if it's in a swap for another defender.

I would absolutely love to see the Devils somehow pull off a deal around Ristolainen for Severson if Risto is really on the table.

Other than something like that, I don't see what other teams would offer that'll make sense for the Devils to move him.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
How do people here compare Severson and Ceci? I'm wondering if that could be a good change of scenery trade for both players but I'm not sure how the value stacks up. Could very well see that trade happen tomorrow

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Only way I see Severson dealt is if it's in a swap for another defender.

I would absolutely love to see the Devils somehow pull off a deal around Ristolainen for Severson if Risto is really on the table.

Other than something like that, I don't see what other teams would offer that'll make sense for the Devils to move him.

The Devils would lose this deal. Ristolainen is not good. There's so many landmines out there in a Severson deal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Devils would lose this deal. Ristolainen is not good. There's so many landmines out there in a Severson deal.

He's like Severson in that's he's got all the tools but hasn't seem to put it together. Didn't help that Buffalo ran him into the ground playing 28+ minutes his first few seasons.

Risto also brings size and physicality. Our defense needs some of both.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's like Severson in that's he's got all the tools but hasn't seem to put it together. Didn't help that Buffalo ran him into the ground playing 28+ minutes his first few seasons.

It sounds like such a pointless lateral move at best. WHat a lot of these Severson proposals have been.

I have yet to see a Severson proposal that is both realistic and worth it. I simply don’t see how we win a deal where we trade him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’d rather trade McLeod, Davies/Walsh, a 2020 1st plus one of our extra 2nds/3rds for a defensive upgrade. Don’t subtract a young roster player+ to add a marginal upgrade.

Reactions: Oneiro

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Young? Yes. Good? No.

Below average defensively. Above average offensively. Very low IQ.
Do you think most teams have 2 right handed dmen that are better than him? I don’t. He’s a top 4 dman and he’s 24 on a solid contract. He’s also playing more minutes and tougher minutes than ever and will get a career high in points playing with Andy Greene.

How many dman do you think would get good results lugging Andy Greene’s corpse around?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It sounds like such a pointless lateral move at best. WHat a lot of these Severson proposals have been.

I have yet to see a Severson proposal that is both realistic and worth it. I simply don’t see how we win a deal where we trade him.

Maybe, but we need to revamp our defense some way. If we have to move Severson out to get a bigger, more physical guy, then we may have to take that risk.

Any RD we add -- assuming their top four quality -- will likely have to include one of Severson/Vatanen going the other way. Would love to add a LD with a package, but I don't see what we offer that other teams want for the type and quality of defender we need.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The way I look the Severson situation, and you'll have to excuse the pun, is "better the devil you know than the devil you don't." We know what we have with Sevs. Sometimes we want more and sometimes he is frustrating. But he's a legitimate top 4 NHL D man and we know that. You don't know if you'd even get that out of Risto or frankly any other D man that any team would swap for Sevs. It's a high risk, relatively low reward proposition, and I don't like those kinds of gambles.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Maybe, but we need to revamp our defense some way. If we have to move Severson out to get a bigger, more physical guy, then we may have to take that risk.

Any RD we add -- assuming their top four quality -- will likely have to include one of Severson/Vatanen going the other way. Would love to add a LD with a package, but I don't see what we offer that other teams want for the type and quality of defender we need.
Vats should be signed to an extension and be a cog on this team for the forseeable future. He is clearly the best one out of our bad bunch so moving him would dig the hole deeper. He did a damn good job carrying Greene in the second half of last season. He is a good player.

As for Severaon, I like him but he definitely needs a good defensive partner to play with. We beed to find him one. I will only move him in a trade that returns an upgrade, and the price can’t be too high.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The way I look the Severson situation, and you'll have to excuse the pun, is "better the devil you know than the devil you don't." We know what we have with Sevs. Sometimes we want more and sometimes he is frustrating. But he's a legitimate top 4 NHL D man and we know that. You don't know if you'd even get that out of Risto or frankly any other D man that any team would swap for Sevs. It's a high risk, relatively low reward proposition, and I don't like those kinds of gambles.
Seversons defense is not top-4 worthy, and thats the problem

Keep Butcher, move Severson

Or find a stud defenseman to pair with Severson

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I really don't watch the Sabres, not sure if anyone here is a big fan, but how is Ristolainen not significantly better than Severson? He's trusted with ~25mins per game, put up a 50 point pace over the last 3 years aggregated, supposedly plays with physicality(according to comments above?), and is a highly successful powerplay quarterback. Assuming this ends up being a summer trade, I'd gladly send over Wood and Severson or Severson and a pick

Reactions: mdj12784

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The Devils defense needs good players, not size or physicality - if a good player happens to have those qualities, great, but looking for those qualities is likely to make the defense worse, not better. Severson might be a good player, he might not, but he hasn't had a decent partner here in years. There's so many RHD out there who are clearly worse but I cannot count on the Devils' pro scouting staff to be able to tell the difference.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really don't watch the Sabres, not sure if anyone here is a big fan, but how is Ristolainen not significantly better than Severson? He's trusted with ~25mins per game, put up a 50 point pace over the last 3 years aggregated, supposedly plays with physicality(according to comments above?), and is a highly successful powerplay quarterback. Assuming this ends up being a summer trade, I'd gladly send over Wood and Severson or Severson and a pick

Because he underlying numbers say so.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Seversons defense is not top-4 worthy, and thats the problem

Keep Butcher, move Severson

Or find a stud defenseman to pair with Severson

Butchers defense is barely NHL level. I know Sevs is frustrating and stupid sometimes, but he is significantly better than Butcher. I really don't get the fascination with him.

Reactions: Billdo

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Wow I never realized ristolainen was a (-) player his whole career. He’s pretty overrated from the main board proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad