Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
3rd party is the most likely scenario, and probably best given where we are as a team right now

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Those are valid points, but if you have EK at say 12 and Ryan at I think 7 and then you add Hall at say 12 (I don't think he offers any discount if EK is paid without playing a game for the team) that's about $30 million sunk into essentially two great players. Sure, NJ could walk the cap line with those players but add Corey's $6 mil and Greene's $5 mil and Zajac's $5.75 mil and it can get really messy really quickly. I'd be reluctant to roll that way, but again, just an opinion and you might see it differently.

Appreciate your opinion and agree its messy but what team that is winning isnt messy? Cap space has value so that you can use it on players like Taylor Hall and Erik Karlsson. If you are not going to use it on them, then who cares about it?

Greene comes off when Hall's extension kicks in and Zajac comes off the year after, leaving Schneider essentially the only "bad" deal on the books. That's remarkably clean.

They can decide what they want to do with guys like Johanssen and Vatanen. But they still have Wood under control if hes not included in this deal, enough guys coming up to fill out the line, Smith coming up etc to make a run at it if you are hoisted up by two generational players like this. Not to mention that a Karlsson acquisition essentially locks Hall in and avoids any idea that he doesn't resign this July 1. So no messy and akward UFA flirting with him.

Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Ummm... when he says "inched their way into the process" couldn't it mean that we're just involved with adsorbing cap hit for an asset? Being "in the process" doesn't necessarily mean we're getting him.
i want action, let's throw in wood to sweeten someones pot and take on bobby ryan, in order to receive a top prospect

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
People here getting excited about nothing.

EK to NJ makes no sense due to the fact the Devils cant offer even remotely the sort of packages being offered by others. Nothing to see here.

That isn't really the issue. The Flyers could outbid everyone by offering Patrick and Sanheim and Karlsson would be theirs, but there's no indication they'd be willing to do that. It's what everyone else is willing to offer. The last remotely concrete thing I remember was that Dallas was offering a package with Julius Honka and a 1st as the centerpiece and they would not give up Heiskanein. Shero could beat that easily. People talk about San Jose, but Ottawa will really have to like Timo Meier for that to work. I don't see how Tampa brings in a third team this late in the game.

That really leaves Vegas as the team that can outbid everyone. But they really will have gutted their prospect pool between getting Karlsson and Patches.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Appreciate your opinion and agree its messy but what team that is winning isnt messy? Cap space has value so that you can use it on players like Taylor Hall and Erik Karlsson. If you are not going to use it on them, then who cares about it?

Greene comes off when Hall's extension kicks in and Zajac comes off the year after, leaving Schneider essentially the only "bad" deal on the books. That's remarkably clean.

They can decide what they want to do with guys like Johanssen and Vatanen. But they still have Wood under control if hes not included in this deal, enough guys coming up to fill out the line, Smith coming up etc to make a run at it if you are hoisted up by two generational players like this. Not to mention that a Karlsson acquisition essentially locks Hall in and avoids any idea that he doesn't resign this July 1. So no messy and akward UFA flirting with him.

Great points about expiring deals on guys clogging up cap space and to some extent the lineup. Definitely makes it more palatable. I'm still concerned about Schneider being finished health wise but that's a discussion for another day.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Great points about expiring deals on guys clogging up cap space and to some extent the lineup. Definitely makes it more palatable. I'm still concerned about Schneider being finished health wise but that's a discussion for another day.

Kinkaid also gone (if they choose) after this year. Devils may need to find a new starter and worst case is Schneider as a backup with an anchor contract. Not a good thing, but if that is your worst contract issue 3 years from today AND he is a capable backup AND you have composed a roster including guys like Karlsson, Hall, Hischier, Butcher and what combination of Wood/Bratt/Zacha/McLeod/Vatanen/Johansson is left from the dealings in addition to core guys like Coleman, an aging Palmieri - Ty Smith.... You have yourself something there.

I don't know who the starting goalie is either. But you have something.

Reactions: My3Sons

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
All you nay-sayers are going to look real silly when we land Karlsson for Larss, I mean Santini.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
How many more seasons can EK be an elite player?

Brent Burns is still going strong at 33. Neidermeyer was elite until around age 34, and was a quality player pretty much until he retired at 37.

EK's ankle is the issue. I guess if it really hits the fan, a deep pocketed owner can hope for a compliance buyout when they do the next CBA.

Reactions: AgentBrodeur

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kinkaid also gone (if they choose) after this year. Devils may need to find a new starter and worst case is Schneider as a backup with an anchor contract. Not a good thing, but if that is your worst contract issue 3 years from today AND he is a capable backup AND you have composed a roster including guys like Karlsson, Hall, Hischier, Butcher and what combination of Wood/Bratt/Zacha/McLeod/Vatanen/Johansson is left from the dealings in addition to core guys like Coleman, an aging Palmieri - Ty Smith.... You have yourself something there.

I don't know who the starting goalie is either. But you have something.

With the uptick of the cap and the corresponding raise in prices for top UFAs hitting that status at 27-28 you’ll likely see more of these players available going forward. I imagine the JT lesson won’t be lost on teams. Fortunately TB is limited to a standard roster and can’t sign every good player in the league.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
call me crazy but if i'm ray. go get EK without an extension the price will definitely be low for that. heck add in a bobby ryan at some type retained to drive the price down even more. spend this season trying to get into the playoffs with EK while also trying to resign him if he doesn't sign by the deadline flip him and recoup the minimal pieces you lost to get him in the first place. you still have ryan retained but honestly the price and our cap room that isn't an issue

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Brent Burns is still going strong at 33. Neidermeyer was elite until around age 34, and was a quality player pretty much until he retired at 37.

EK's ankle is the issue. I guess if it really hits the fan, a deep pocketed owner can hope for a compliance buyout when they do the next CBA.
If his ankle really IS an issue though, he could just he LTIRed like all the other aging stars in the league.

Reactions: Billdo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad