Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
insider links devils to karlsson last night (among other teams). the board collectively thumps their ****s together as the circle jerk hate fest commences.

dreger’s junior contact “suggested that maybe the New Jersey Devils has inched their way into the process.” the board shoots ribbon after ribbon of frothy **** and wonders how they’ll ever get any work done.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm torn. Karlsson is obviously a stud and a guy who should be worth whatever package you give up for him.

Losing Wood would bum me out, though.

Will be an interesting 24-48 hours.

I'm as big a Wood fan as there is, and I don't even want to trade for Karlsson, but I'll turn the page pretty quick I think.

Reactions: Nubmer6

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
People here getting excited about nothing.

EK to NJ makes no sense due to the fact the Devils cant offer even remotely the sort of packages being offered by others. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: bigd

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

EK to NJ makes no sense due to the fact the Devils cant offer even remotely the sort of packages being offered by others. Nothing to see here.

As I said on the main board. The only way Karlsson comes to NJ is if OTT is adamant about Ryan going with him.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Then Bob McKenzie comes out and says:

"FWIW, my sense is if Karlsson is traded today/tomorrow, it will be to a Western Conference team."

Bit of a buzzkill. McKenzie is rarely off.

I am getting a real kick on people here talking about being iffy on guys like Wood and Zacha in connection to Erik Karlsson or even werried (francesca voice) about things like Vatanen extension in regards to a Karlsson trade. Its Erik Karlsson. Gee whiz.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Bit of a buzzkill. McKenzie is rarely off.

It's not just McKenzie; if you separate out the E5 frauds of the world from the legitimate hockey insiders with connections, pretty much all the legitimate folks say he's going west.

Now, HTH could they possibly know that? Only thing I can think of is Ottawa is politically motivated to not see EK on the ice 100 times per season.

Reactions: glenwo2

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I hate to deeply dissect tweets but I kinda want to know what’s going into the “sense” he has. On the other hand, the original blurb that started this reaction was based on a “feeling” so maybe this is all smoke, no fire.

Probably wise to not get your hopes up for any trade period, as Melnyk is a thug and Dorion is a coward.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If the Devils somehow end up with Ryan at a discount and an asset or two without giving up anything of significance... I'll also be happy.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’d take Ryan if it meant getting Karlsson with an extension.

Ryan is still a useful player, and if we’ve seen anything in the last few years, if you need to jettison a bad contract eventually, there’s always been a suitor.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Just to make clear I have no idea what's going on.

It's just that it came out of nowhere and it felt eerily similar...

Reactions: OmNomNom

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

Really not true in theory.

The Devils can take Bobby Ryan without blinking, which not many can do. They can also offer Damon Severson, a young 20's dman locked up to a long term deal at a very team favorable rate.

They have 1st round picks (as most do) and being that they are not considered to be HEAVY cup favorites - although those odds woudl certainly improve w Karlsson - a Devils pick would arguably have more value than other teams I've seen mentioned here as far as odds of landing in the lottery next year (and remember Ottawa does not have their own pick which is a disaster).

Further the Devils have some recent early 1st round forward in Zacha and McLeod, who I am personally down on, but who would qualify as legitimate prospects, in addition to a guy like Boqvist.

Not to mention Wood.

They can put together a very competitive offer IF their ownership is willing to pay up -in in the sense of taking and paying Ryan and extending Karlsson. I personally doubt that, but since most people on this board tell me that is not the case than there is no reason Devils cant make a very competitive offer here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I agree the rumor sources are suspect at best but if the Sens were getting offered those kind of packages that would blow us out of the water he’d already have been dealt.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Dreger on potential Karlsson suitors: "as I was driving I got a call from a junior contact, believe it or not, who suggested that maybe the New Jersey Devils has inched their way into the process."
Ummm... when he says "inched their way into the process" couldn't it mean that we're just involved with adsorbing cap hit for an asset? Being "in the process" doesn't necessarily mean we're getting him.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Ummm... when he says "inched their way into the process" couldn't it mean that we're just involved with adsorbing cap hit for an asset? Being "in the process" doesn't necessarily mean we're getting him.
Being a Karlsson suitor presumably means getting Karlsson himself, instead of being a third team in such a deal.

I think the longer this takes, the better our chances are of getting him. If a trade is done today (not bloody likely) then I doubt he’ll be Jersey bound.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Possibly which could be why the original tweet was as purposeful vague as it was lol

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I’ll be fine with whatever happens with Karlsson so long as he doesn’t go to Vegas. They’ve gotten more fawning adoration in one year than we’ve gotten in 35 (especially from supposed Devils fan Greg Wyshynski) and their owner is an ego case.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Being a Karlsson suitor presumably means getting Karlsson himself, instead of being a third team in such a deal.

I think the longer this takes, the better our chances are of getting him. If a trade is done today (not bloody likely) then I doubt he’ll be Jersey bound.
I guess my point is Dreger is reputable, and he may be right, but the tweet doesn't say we're rumored to get him, just rumored to be in the process, which to me may very well mean we're the 3rd wheel.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Really not true in theory.

The Devils can take Bobby Ryan without blinking, which not many can do. They can also offer Damon Severson, a young 20's dman locked up to a long term deal at a very team favorable rate.

They have 1st round picks (as most do) and being that they are not considered to be HEAVY cup favorites - although those odds woudl certainly improve w Karlsson - a Devils pick would arguably have more value than other teams I've seen mentioned here as far as odds of landing in the lottery next year (and remember Ottawa does not have their own pick which is a disaster).

Further the Devils have some recent early 1st round forward in Zacha and McLeod, who I am personally down on, but who would qualify as legitimate prospects, in addition to a guy like Boqvist.

Not to mention Wood.

They can put together a very competitive offer IF their ownership is willing to pay up -in in the sense of taking and paying Ryan and extending Karlsson. I personally doubt that, but since most people on this board tell me that is not the case than there is no reason Devils cant make a very competitive offer here.

Those are valid points, but if you have EK at say 12 and Ryan at I think 7 and then you add Hall at say 12 (I don't think he offers any discount if EK is paid without playing a game for the team) that's about $30 million sunk into essentially two great players. Sure, NJ could walk the cap line with those players but add Corey's $6 mil and Greene's $5 mil and Zajac's $5.75 mil and it can get really messy really quickly. I'd be reluctant to roll that way, but again, just an opinion and you might see it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad