Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You want to say the league, fine. However, he's definitely in our top four.

And that's why we suck. We have a unproven rookie labeled as our 3rd/4th best dman. I really don't mind having Santini on our 3rd pair and increase his minutes according to his play. We're in no rush and I'd rather send Lovejoy to the wolves over our rookie.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Aethon posted this in the last team discussion thread (not sure if you can quote from a lock thread)
These are Seversons ranks among the 82 dmen in the league who had at least 1250 minutes of 5v5 ice time.

In TOI 5v5 he was 52nd in the league.

In Points 5v5 he was 41st in the league.

In first assist he was 34th in the league.

In Points per 60 he was 38th in the league.

In ShotsFor% he was 57th in the league.

ShotsFor per 60 59th in the league

Shots Against per 60 53rd in the league.

Corsi For% 36th in the league.

Corsi against. 19th* best in the league.

Corsi For 61st in the league.

He's top 62 in every stat so he's definitely a #2 dman. And a very good one at that

Are those stats really indicative of his level of play compared to other NHL'ers, since he probably gets more prime opportunities cause of our lack of talent/depth compared to more stacked rosters?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Are those stats really indicative of his level of play compared to other NHL'ers, since he probably gets more prime opportunities cause of our lack of talent/depth compared to more stacked rosters?

The stats were for all Defensemen that played over 1250 5v5 minutes last season. Being that is all 5v5 minutes you have to assume that opportunities are similar based on the high number of minutes being used as a threshold.

For reference...

Ryan Suter led the league among Dmen in 5v5 time with 1689:05, Severson was 52nd with 1350:37

Only 82 Dmen in the league played 1250 5v5 minutes or more.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Aethon posted this in the last team discussion thread (not sure if you can quote from a lock thread)
These are Seversons ranks among the 82 dmen in the league who had at least 1250 minutes of 5v5 ice time.

In TOI 5v5 he was 52nd in the league.

In Points 5v5 he was 41st in the league.

In first assist he was 34th in the league.

In Points per 60 he was 38th in the league.

In ShotsFor% he was 57th in the league.

ShotsFor per 60 59th in the league

Shots Against per 60 53rd in the league.

Corsi For% 36th in the league.

Corsi against. 19th* best in the league.

Corsi For 61st in the league.

He's top 62 in every stat so he's definitely a #2 dman. And a very good one at that

Those stats are inflated by a bit because they are cutting out players that are obviously better but didn't meet the 5on5 requirements.

quick look puts the following players disqualified:
Kris Letang, Jacob Trouba, John Carlson, Hampus Lindholm, Tyler Myers, Erik Johnson, Andy Greene, Toby Enstrom, Dmitri Kulikov, Andrei Markov, Sami Vatenen, Aaron Ekblad, Chris Tanev, Andy Greene, Travis Hamonic, and Trevor Daley.

...And those are just the guys who got more TOI/G than Severson

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Those stats are inflated by a bit because they are cutting out players that are obviously better but didn't meet the 5on5 requirements.

Kris Letang, Jacob Trouba, John Carlson, Hampus Lindholm, Tyler Myers, Erik Johnson, Andy Greene, Toby Enstrom, Dmitri Kulikov, Andrei Markov, Sami Vatenen, Aaron Ekblad, Chris Tanev, Andy Greene, Travis Hamonic, and Trevor Daley.

TOI is a bit misleading also... special teams can substantially change those numbers. Looking at 5v5 tell a better story.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What date does training camp begin?

Around September 13th or 14th. It's usually the Thursday or Friday of that week, which falls on the 14th or 15 of September. I thought I remembered reading that physicals would be on the 12th or 13th of September, with rookies reporting a week before that.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Around September 13th or 14th. It's usually the Thursday or Friday of that week, which falls on the 14th or 15 of September. I thought I remembered reading that physicals would be on the 12th or 13th of September, with rookies reporting a week before that.

Thanks. :)

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
And that's why we suck. We have a unproven rookie labeled as our 3rd/4th best dman. I really don't mind having Santini on our 3rd pair and increase his minutes according to his play. We're in no rush and I'd rather send Lovejoy to the wolves over our rookie.

Understandable, I was just hoping to stick Lovejoy there. With less minutes he may turn out to be decent.

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017
Rinne played fine last regular season. It was the season before that when he wasn't any good and he also was just as poor in the playoffs that year.

His numbers werent awful. but I watched a lot of Nashville last season throughout the year, and the difference between them in the regular season and the playoffs was night and day.

Rinne spent a lot of time on the bench in a lot of games after being pulled.

But when Subban was in there and playing at his level, they we're successful. As good as Josi, Ellis and Eckholm are, none of em are on that level.

The point remains the same though. Cory, like Rinne, is a very good goalie. Not Quick or Lundqvist level, but still fully capable of starting 65-70 games and doing well throughout, but the defense makes the difference in a goalie having a bad to average season or a good to really good one.

If Nashville's defense plays next year the way they played during the playoffs, Rinne will win the Vezina.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

A lot of this board doesn't understand this concept. Don't even bother. It's a waste of time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Severson was 3rd on the team in average ice time, so its not like he was playing 25 minutes/night

plus those stats are per 60 minutes so I am not really sure what youre arguing?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
TOI is a bit misleading also... special teams can substantially change those numbers. Looking at 5v5 tell a better story.

I'm just pointing out players that have not met the 1250 5 on 5 minutes requirements - whether its because they were injured and/or got significant special teams time. Nobody in their right mind will say Severson is better than Letang or Carlson yet using those rankings suggest otherwise. You can probably safely drop him 10-20 spots in each category to make up for this discrepancy.
I'm not trying to prove any points regarding Severson's abilities - Just giving a warning to people that may have overlooked this issue.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Let camp decide who plays where and it's not like Santini hasn't played NHL games before. He does have some experience.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

You don't think Severson is better than Greene, Kulikov, Enstrom, and Daley? There are other guys on that list that are debatable but I wouldn't want a GM that considers those four guys to be better options than Severson even if you take out age/contract factors.

His numbers werent awful. but I watched a lot of Nashville last season throughout the year, and the difference between them in the regular season and the playoffs was night and day.

But when Subban was in there and playing at his level, they we're successful. As good as Josi, Ellis and Eckholm are, none of em are on that level.

The point remains the same though. Cory, like Rinne, is a very good goalie. Not Quick or Lundqvist level, but still fully capable of starting 65-70 games and doing well throughout, but the defense makes the difference in a goalie having a bad to average season or a good to really good one.

If Nashville's defense plays next year the way they played during the playoffs, Rinne will win the Vezina.

How is Cory not better than Quick? Cory has the third best save percentage of all time. This last season was the only season Quick beat him in that category. And the Devils don't have a system like the Kings did under Sutter nor a defenseman like Doughty.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Rinne doesn't play very good from year to year because he's not very good anymore. He's been inconsistent from year to since the last lockout.

Quick isn't that great. Aside from last year Cory has been better for most of their careers. Don't let his 2012 playoffs fool you.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People saying sev>larsson.... You aren't serious right?

This isn't Oilerland, let's not overrate Larsson.

If you drink enough of that oil spiked kool aid, pretty soon you'll start to think that Larsson is also better at his position than Taylor Hall is.

Just because our defense sucks doesn't mean that we don't have any good defenseman. Severson is a number 2 defenseman. Maybe Greene is a number 4. Everyone else is either bottom pairing or non-NHL caliber. I'm talking Lovejoy if he plays like he did last season. Santini looks like he could be a top 4 guy, with the data from last year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I also do not see the point in comparing Severson and Larsson. They are both righties and thats really where the comparison ends.

Larsson is an exceptional positional DMan who has a lack of foot speed and offense.

Severson is a very good puck mover who struggles defensively but can skate decently well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah...comparing Larsson and Severson makes no sense at all.

Now Santini and Larsson...hmm that is a can of worms I wouldn't mind opening... perhaps more for the future though ;)

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I see it stated in so many articles that Santini had a bad or bleh season, and I have no idea what they're talking about. Not his fault he didn't get ice time and kept getting sat for scrubs like Prout.

His on ice results were very encouraging. Merrill even started playing decent once they put them together, something I thought was impossible.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The game really needs to morph into the day where "Safer" players are not automatically considered the better players. I wish this would change among fans, but mostly it needed to change among GM's and coaches like 10-15 years ago, if not longer.

This is why too many people believe Larsson is better than Severson and that Weber is better than Subban, and that Doughty is better than basically everybody.

Half of today's hockey watching populous probably would have thought Bobby Orr was a bad defensive player. I'm actually shocked that more people don't make Erik Karlsson out to be this defensive liability, since he's not one of these "Safe" guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad