Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Definitely excited to see the progression of our young players, don't see how we will be a playoff team given how tough the division is though.

Would've liked to see us add a Dman this off-season but it doesn't look like it is happening.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
Definitely excited to see the progression of our young players, don't see how we will be a playoff team given how tough the division is though.

Would've liked to see us add a Dman this off-season but it doesn't look like it is happening.

there is still a couple months until the season starts. shero is def trying to add a defenseman, he is not done imo

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Deals always happen closer to camp as teams are finalizing rosters and, in some cases, trying to get under the cap after bleeding over during the summer. The Boychuk to NYI deal comes to mind.

There may be an opportunity to add another defenseman, but I'm personally not holding my breath.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Deals always happen closer to camp as teams are finalizing rosters and, in some cases, trying to get under the cap after bleeding over during the summer. The Boychuk to NYI deal comes to mind.

There may be an opportunity to add another defenseman, but I'm personally not holding my breath.

I believe they got Boychuck and Leddy within days of each other and that pretty much reshape their entire defense with those 2 quick moves. I agree with not holding our breath as any addition would be a top pairing guy, otherwise we would just be holding back guys like Santin and Mueller.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah but even finishing last the probability of getting the needed pick is still only 25%.

Less than 20% actually lol...that's why Colorado got royally screwed this year and why Toronto winning two years ago (with one less team in the lottery) was an anomaly going forward.

The Avalanche (48 points) finished with the fewest points in the NHL. They have a 17.9 percent chance at the No. 1 overall pick, a 16 percent chance at No. 2, a 14.1 percent chance at No. 3 and a 52 percent chance at No. 4.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Is Zharkov the best player who could never score?

He had worse Michael Grabner syndrome then Grabner.

Honestly

Greene - Sevs
Moore - Santini
Mueller - Lovejoy or some other combination

That third pairing is going to be ass no matter what, but if Severson and Santini can take the steps forward that are expected of them, it wouldn't be an awful top 4.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Honestly

Greene - Sevs
Moore - Santini

That third pairing is going to be ass no matter what, but if Severson and Santini can take the steps forward that are expected of them, it wouldn't be an awful top 4.

We really don't know what Mueller can do yet. He could be decent or good.

I see no reason to waste assets on a journeyman. If a good deal with a real long term upgrade is available, do it. Otherwise just stand pat.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Honestly

Greene - Sevs
Moore - Santini

Most NHL teams have a "poor" bottom pairing nowadays.

Our problem is much more than that. From a league-wide perspective:

Greene is a 2/3.
Severson is a 3. Hopefully will be a clear 2 after this season.
The rest are all 5/6 (bottom pair) guys at this point. Woof. Hence why it was hysterical seeing so many posters against signing Shattenkirk at, say, 6.5 x 7. Oh well, didn't matter anyway.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The only team in the Metro I truly think the Devils are better than is the Islanders.

I think you are going to be wrong.. i think the devils will be a surprise this season. I think the breaks and circumstances to shape will happen

without question the forward corp. is much better with the outside potential to actually be very good this season.. of course we need a few things to work out on the positive side.. that being hischier. mcleod. marked improvement from zacha

on defense on paper we are probably going to be slightly better at worst... why? simply that santini and severson are a year older. and I think mueller is gonna work out to be a pleasant surprise.

schneider will most likely have a better year.. enough for the playoffs? great question.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

Greene is a 2/3.
The rest are all 5/6 (bottom pair) guys at this point. Woof. Hence why it was hysterical seeing so many posters against signing Shattenkirk at, say, 6.5 x 7. Oh well, didn't matter anyway.

IF one of Santini or Mueller can play like a 4 and Severson plays like a 2 it's not terrible. Of course if they play like the 5/6/7s they are, hey, at least we'll be losing 3/4-5 instead of 1-5. All the team needs is one of Santini or Severson to take the next step and one of the others to play a little better then what they are and the defense isn't the trainwreck it was last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Greene is a 2/3.

Shatt is also a 3 by your measure.

You are going to be wrong about Saninti being a bottom pairing guy. Most likely wrong on Mueller too

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There's always John Carlson next year.

Hoping for free agents is almost always a bad idea.

Honestly it isn't that big a deal. Let's see Severson and Santini continue to grow and see what we have in Mueller.

We will draft a top 4 or even top 2 Dman next offseason and between now and then Shero will most likely pull a trade off

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I rather run with what we have unless we get a serious upgrade.

Let us see what we have with Santini and Mueller. Any journeyman on either side push them out.

That's the problem with a defense addition. Unlikely that Moore and/or Lovejoy are pushed out of the lineup to make room. Absent a clear and undeniable opportunity it makes more sense to let Santini and Mueller play regular minutes.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know that any more moves on the defensive end will happen and honestly they probably shouldn't unless it is for a clear upgrade. Our defense is basically set going into opening night

Greene- Severson
Moore- Lovejoy
Mueller- Santini
Prout

Obviously there is room for improvement, that has been discussed in detail on here already. My question is, how much will improved forward play from a possession standpoint improve our overall team defense. Yes our defense was poor last year but the offensive players certainly didn't do them any favors. If Nico, Zacha, Speers, and Mcleod can have the defensive impact their games suggest, it may not be as bad as people think.

I am a bit more optimistic than others about how this can be solved.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know that any more moves on the defensive end will happen and honestly they probably shouldn't unless it is for a clear upgrade. Our defense is basically set going into opening night

Greene- Severson
Moore- Lovejoy
Mueller- Santini
Prout

Obviously there is room for improvement, that has been discussed in detail on here already. My question is, how much will improved forward play from a possession standpoint improve our overall team defense. Yes our defense was poor last year but the offensive players certainly didn't do them any favors. If Nico, Zacha, Speers, and Mcleod can have the defensive impact their games suggest, it may not be as bad as people think.

I am a bit more optimistic than others about how this can be solved.

If we start scoring goals, it will cover up a lot of the backend issues.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we can be a league average team in goals and not get outshot 40-22 every other game, it could be an ok year. I hate watching trash games where we can't sustain play.

''You do? Well hey, that's tough **** pal! Maybe you should think about watching another team this season, because playing good defense means to play in the defensive zone as much as possible! I heard Beau Bennett plays for the Blues now and Auvitu for the Oilers, if you wanna go watch them instead.''

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Shatt is also a 3 by your measure.

You are going to be wrong about Saninti being a bottom pairing guy. Most likely wrong on Mueller too

How could I be wrong? I said they are bottom pairing guys vs other league rosters "at this point." I'd love to know what I'm wrong about.

Also, if you are insinuating Shatts = Severson right now, you're wrong. If you are saying Santini and Mueller are most likely going to be top 4 quality this season, you're wrong again. Or simply have unreasonable expectations.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shero has been pretty hellbent on righting some of Conte's late 00's wrongs, like acquiring Palmieri and Mojo after we passed on both for Jacob Josefson.... so maybe the plan is to sign Carlson?:sarcasm:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How could I be wrong? I said they are bottom pairing guys vs other league rosters "at this point." I'd love to know what I'm wrong about.

Also, if you are insinuating Shatts = Severson right now, you're wrong. If you are saying Santini and Mueller are most likely going to be top 4 quality this season, you're wrong again. Or simply have unreasonable expectations.

It has already been proven that Santini puts up top 4 stats.

This board is dreadful with how it underrates Severson.

Severson, Santini, and Zacha are the most underrated players on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad