Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Exactly.

As unlikely as it was for us to win this years draft lottery..its going to be 100 times more unlikely for us to win it again next year no matter where we finish.

In fact Id be willing to bet that even if we finished bottom 3, we wont be picking 1st-3rd.

And as much as Dahlin looks to be at worst the 2nd overall pick next year. Rankings could change (look at Nico). Team needs dictate it as well.

Currently, there are 4 Dman slated to go in the top 10 picks in most mocks. Any of em would be a nice get for us if we arent a playoff team next year.

Well this isn't true either. Our odds don't change because we won it this year. It won't be 100 times harder.

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017
Well this isn't true either. Our odds don't change because we won it this year. It won't be 100 times harder.

Im not talking literally. Im saying the hypothetical odds are extremely low for a team to win the draft lottery in back to back years.

Especially one that before that, like us, has never won one in our history.

Im skeptical to say there is no chance in hell that we will the draft lottery again next year..but there is no chance in hell. Zero.

People can talk all they want about how out defense is garbage. Its definitely not good. But things would have to go wayyyyy south for us to finish below teams like Vegas, Colorado, Arizona and Vancouver. If things go bad, we will probably pick somewhere between 5th and 9th in next years draft. If they go great, we probably sneak into the playoffs.

Time will tell, but anyone going into next season being alright with losses because it somehow might lead to us getting the 1st pick again, is in for a rude awakening.

SJinNJ

Jul 4, 2017
New Jersey
Im not talking literally. Im saying the hypothetical odds are extremely low for a team to win the draft lottery in back to back years.

Im skeptical to say there is no chance in hell that we will the draft lottery again next year..but there is no chance in hell. Zero.

People can talk all they want about how out defense is garbage. Its definitely not good. But things would have to go wayyyyy south for us to finish below teams like Vegas, Colorado, Arizona and Vancouver. If things go bad, we will probably pick somewhere between 5th and 9th in next years draft. If they go great, we probably sneak into the playoffs.

Time will tell, but anyone going into next season being alright with losses because it somehow might lead to us getting the 1st pick again, is in for a rude awakening.

Devils won the draft lottery in 2011. They moved up 4 spots and picked Larsson.

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017
Devils won the draft lottery in 2011. They moved up 4 spots and picked Larsson.

Ok correction then, we never won the 1st overall pick before (Im sure that needed clarification)

If we're going by your definition then Philly really won the past draft lottery because they jumped up 11 spots.

To me, whoever gets the 1st pick is the draft lottery winner.

SJinNJ

Jul 4, 2017
New Jersey
Ok correction then, we never won the 1st overall pick before (Im sure that needed clarification)

If we're going by your definition then Philly really won the past draft lottery because they jumped up 11 spots.

To me, whoever gets the 1st pick is the draft lottery winner.

When there is a draft lottery and a team wins it, it's called winning the draft lottery. It's not debatable.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Exactly.

As unlikely as it was for us to win this years draft lottery..its going to be 100 times more unlikely for us to win it again next year no matter where we finish.

In fact Id be willing to bet that even if we finished bottom 3, we wont be picking 1st-3rd.

And as much as Dahlin looks to be at worst the 2nd overall pick next year. Rankings could change (look at Nico). Team needs dictate it as well.

Currently, there are 4 Dman slated to go in the top 10 picks in most mocks. Any of em would be a nice get for us if we arent a playoff team next year.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just because the Devils won the draft lottery this season, that means absolutely nothing when it comes to next year. If the Devils finish 31st in the NHL, they will have the best odds.

Just because a 7 comes out in dice, doesn't mean its any less likely a 7 will come out again on the next roll, the odds are still 16% chance.

Finishing last in the NHL this season would be great for our franchise in the long run. Not that I'm hoping it will happen, I want to make playoffs, but I'm being realistic.

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just because the Devils won the draft lottery this season, that means absolutely nothing when it comes to next year. If the Devils finish 31st in the NHL, they will have the best odds.

Just because a 7 comes out in dice, doesn't mean its any less likely a 7 will come out again on the next roll, the odds are still 16% chance.

Finishing last in the NHL this season would be great for our franchise in the long run. Not that I'm hoping it will happen, I want to make playoffs, but I'm being realistic.

Wow wish I was as optimistic as some of you.

And on the other hand, I wish some of you weren't so literal as to think that I think the actual odds wouldn't be better for us to pick 1st again if we finished last.

Its called talking hypothetically.

Since 2004, other than Edmonton, no other team has had the #1 pick twice, nevermind in back to back seasons.

So to me there is a really good chance that we wont pick 1st again not only next season, but probably not for another 10 to 15 years. Unless the "new" draft lottery system is going to somehow bump up teams 5-10 slots each year, its just not feasible to think otherwise.

But you guys keep those fingers crossed for next May. Let me know how that works out.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wow wish I was as optimistic as some of you.

And on the other hand, I wish some of you weren't so literal as to think that I think the actual odds wouldn't be better for us to pick 1st again if we finished last.

Its called talking hypothetically.

Since 2004, other than Edmonton, no other team has had the #1 pick twice, nevermind in back to back seasons.

So to me there is a really good chance that we wont pick 1st again not only next season, but probably not for another 10 to 15 years. Unless the "new" draft lottery system is going to somehow bump up teams 5-10 slots each year, its just not feasible to think otherwise.

But you guys keep those fingers crossed for next May. Let me know how that works out.

It isn't about optimism, it is about understanding how probability works.

The only thing that affects our odds is where we land in the standings. Winning it this year has zero affects. There are no hypothetical odds.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i will say this: based solely on the fact that the arm stripes and the lack of bottom stripe is on these jerseys as well, i don't think we'll be seeing a change in the main jersey at all. it wouldn't make sense to double back on the "ugly" design with the AHL jersey release happening as late as it has

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting article and the picture is a good summary of the article, but look at the gap between general opinion and fan opinion for the Devils :laugh:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...art-2-fans-weigh-in-on-how-each-team-is-doing

fanbase.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad