Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's unreasonable when the veteran you are pining over is a ****ing geriatric in NHL years and the team is trying to get faster, not slower, especially 45 year old Jagr slow.

It's a throw away year. No reason to not see what younger players can do in a top 6 role instead of sliding them down once again to use another stop gap player because OMG young players can't be pushed!!!

I'll poo poo all over the idea when people are saying sign a 45 year old.

To me, at this point 45 is not much different then 33. Neither guy is a part of the future, they are indeed short term stop gaps.

So then the question is, do we want a couple vet stop gaps, or do we want to run with half our fwd lineup being uber young? Heck even if we bring in one or two vet stop gaps, we will still be running an uber young fwd lineup.

Bottom line, imo is, are McLeod and Speers ready for a full season in the NHL? If they are then no need for vets. If they are not, then we will need some vets.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
To me, at this point 45 is not much different then 33. Neither guy is a part of the future, they are indeed short term stop gaps.

So then the question is, do we want a couple vet stop gaps, or do we want to run with half our fwd lineup being uber young? Heck even if we bring in one or two vet stop gaps, we will still be running an uber young fwd lineup.

Bottom line, imo is, are McLeod and Speers ready for a full season in the NHL? If they are then no need for vets. If they are not, then we will need some vets.

Which is why I anticipate at least one PTO to a veteran RW.

A guy like Jagr isn't going to wait around and hope he lands a try-out somewhere. He'll be overseas long before it gets to that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Which is why I anticipate at least one PTO to a veteran RW.

A guy like Jagr isn't going to wait around and hope he lands a try-out somewhere. He'll be overseas long before it gets to that.

Yeah I dunno if he walks from the NHL until he has no other options.

Would be unfortunate if a legendary player, who is still very effective, get's squeezed out of the league.

IMO Vegas is a great fit. He is in the lounge act portion of his career, and they could use the name recognition. How many visiting fans who are in Vegas would not like to see ol Jagr out there?

But I do hope he can find a spot somewhere.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I always figured if he lands anywhere at this point it would be Vegas, just fits since they have no real expectations to live up to right now and they'd probably love to sell some jerseys to kick things off.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think most guys fall off that cliff once they can't skate anymore. And certainly Jagr is not near the player he once was, but he's adapted his game so as to still be effective even without the speed he once had.

So right now how does he fall off the cliff? What part of his game does he lose? I legitmately feel he can effectively play the style that he has played at least until he is 50.

The only problem is teams want to play fast, and despite being very effective, Jagr does not play fast. So like with us, he goes against the direction the NHL is going.
The part where he produces points at a good rate. I could see him having a season where he can't crack 30 points, like Doan and Iginla last year.

It might not be this year, but it's something you have to prepare for with a 45-46 year old player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The part where he produces points at a good rate. I could see him having a season where he can't crack 30 points, like Doan and Iginla last year.

It might not be this year, but it's something you have to prepare for with a 45-46 year old player.

I assume with Iginla and Doans, the loss of quickness and speed are the driving forces in their decline. But Jagr already lost his quickness. His game has adapted.

So what would be the drop in ability that leads to the drop in production?

Losing even more speed? Losing his hands? Do injuries ever become a factor? Does he lose the love of the game?

I guess these are possible, but I'm not seeing anything that suggests they are likely.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I assume with Iginla and Doans, the loss of quickness and speed are the driving forces in their decline. But Jagr already lost his quickness. His game has adapted.

So what would be the drop in ability that leads to the drop in production?

Losing even more speed? Losing his hands? Do injuries ever become a factor? Does he lose the love of the game?

I guess these are possible, but I'm not seeing anything that suggests they are likely.

Hands would be one big thing. His ability to pass and routinely set up linemates.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I always figured if he lands anywhere at this point it would be Vegas, just fits since they have no real expectations to live up to right now and they'd probably love to sell some jerseys to kick things off.

I'd be curious if George McPhee's previous experience with Jagr would preclude Vegas from being an option. Years after the fact, McPhee mentioned that trading for Jagr in Washington was an ownership decision.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
If Jagr doesn't sign in the NHL or overseas, I could see him being a Gary Roberts style offseason fitness guru. Making kids runs around with weighted vests at 11pm and such.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Anyone listen to Sirius NHL? They do gm report cards and today did devils and of course I'm not in my car. Anyone have a link to where I can listen.

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
RE: Jagr has stated in the past that "he plays better the more he plays" and I think he really resented his demotions near the end of his Devils tenure. I don't know if it's a clear loss of ability hindering his employment. Rather, a GM may not want the baggage (albeit light baggage) of having to move Jagr down the lineup for say 35 points. I am shocked that NOBODY wants him but he is a prideful guy (as he should be). It was a treat to watch him as a Devil.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Anyone listen to Sirius NHL? They do gm report cards and today did devils and of course I'm not in my car. Anyone have a link to where I can listen.

Don't have a link but you didn't miss much except some laughs or throwing up in your mouth . One of the guys said, in remarking about choosing not to protect Merrill, "he scored a lot of goals." All one of them in 50 games.

Basically all they know about the Devils comes from fantasy hockey. All pretty pointless.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Basically, our defense is literally the worst in the NHL, we should have drafted a defenseman instead of Boqvist, we should have kept Larsson, Merrill apparently "scored a bunch of goals" for us, and we apparently just didn't like Cammalleri anymore. One guy gave Shero a C, one a C+, and one a D+.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Basically, our defense is literally the worst in the NHL, we should have drafted a defenseman instead of Boqvist, we should have kept Larsson, Merrill apparently "scored a bunch of goals" for us, and we apparently just didn't like Cammalleri anymore. One guy gave Shero a C, one a C+, and one a D+.

They're not wrong about the D, MAYBE drafting Boqvist, but those grades are asinine.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
6 might qualify as a bunch, but 6 goals in 216 NHL games? Yikes!

Merrill has scored 2 goals in his last 146 games, dating back to December 13th of 2014.

Did I count that right? I'd expect that from Cam Janssen.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Wow those were the grades?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wow those were the grades?

Honestly, they sounded like they just wanted to get through it as quickly as possible so they could get to another team and didn't do any actual research. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the roster and go "Hmmm...the defense doesn't look very good".

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I definitely think McLeod gets 9 games. He impressed at camp last year and I bet he has a great camp this year too. Whether he plays most of his games in Missuaga or in red and black depends on those 9.

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017

If anyone has the audio for this Id be interested in hearing it. Even if its just for laughs.

I give Shero a little bit of a hit for not getting Shattenkirk. But you cant literally force a guy to sign with you if his heart is somewhere else.

As for the moves he did do, Boyle was one of the more underrated signings of the FA period. And the two trades he pulled off have tremendous upside for us. Anything less than a B is just not doing your homework. Especially considering the lack of talent in the free agent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad