Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
At this point, my guess is we pick up a few veterans in the Markov / Jagr / Gionta ilk that can be solid-enough contributors, good mentors, and movable at the deadline for late picks. Would provide some good stability to ease the kids in and be beneficial on both sides.

In an ideal world, we trade for a top 4 (top 2 D) and top 6 RW but that doesn't seem plausible at this point.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Rumors, no credible source however, that were close to signing Da Costa. If he plays rw i would be ok with that. We need to add talent up front, and it's a no risk move

We have enough talent being integrated for next year. What we really need is an insurance veteran NHLer RW, and I'd rather just pick from the FA pool that remains.

I'll maintain Gionta makes the most sense.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
As far as I can tell, the Da Costa rumors are some random radio guy in Canada and an article on Pucks and Pitchforks (????) saying that we SHOULD sign him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You're expecting Franson to push one of Lovejoy/Moore out of the lineup? That's expecting a bit much from this coaching staff. He's bad and he'd probably push Santini, it's negatives all around.

This. Any D addition most likely pushes Santini to Bingo.

We should stay away from the remaining D free agents. If a trade gets done, fine, but not the table scraps left on the market.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Jagr is the literal antithesis of what Shero wants in a Devils player.

long term, sure..but i hope he has the sense to recognize an easy, no-risk short term win in signing him. doesn't seem likely though, but honestly i don't care all that much whether he's brought on or not.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
long term, sure..but i hope he has the sense to recognize an easy, no-risk short term win in signing him. doesn't seem likely though, but honestly i don't care all that much whether he's brought on or not.

Jagr is excruciatingly slow and doesn't hit.

The exact opposite of Shero's speed and "hard to play against" mantra.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
At this point, my guess is we pick up a few veterans in the Markov / Jagr / Gionta ilk that can be solid-enough contributors, good mentors, and movable at the deadline for late picks. Would provide some good stability to ease the kids in and be beneficial on both sides.

In an ideal world, we trade for a top 4 (top 2 D) and top 6 RW but that doesn't seem plausible at this point.

Trade deadline returns for vets were underwhelming this past season. I'd rather stick with what we've got and give some of the kids a chance to play. Maybe Ray signs a college player that's going the Kerfoot route and/or grabs a player or two off of waivers or in a minor deal as cuts are happening in the pre-season. I'm not really interested in signing vets or bringing them in for camp tryouts.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Jagr is excruciatingly slow and doesn't hit.

The exact opposite of Shero's speed and "hard to play against" mantra.

But he keeps the puck in the offensive zone and generates shots very very well still, something we could certainly use. I still think that reuniting Zajac and Jagr would be a smart move for Shero.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
plus i think there's merit to having a mixed bag of tricks. i mean, just because we're building a team that's "Fast, attacking, and supportive", doesn't mean we should pigeonhole ourselves to that strategy each and every single game. if the fast strat doesn't work, we'll have to adjust, and i think jagr could be a very useful tool in that scenario

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The only guys I want who are still available are Markov and Jagr.

Markov would be a good option and would be a ideal partner for Severson, just like he was a ideal partner for Subban. The only reason I don't see it happening is that it would bump everyone down a notch and would leave Mueller as the odd man out. There's no way we gave up those assets in order to acquire a #7 who'll see 15 or so games.

As for Jagr, he would be a real solid addition just in terms of leadership, experience and work ethic. He's the ultimate veteran you need and want around a young team. As for his play on the ice, he's still a very effective player and we lack another option in our top #6, unless MoJo is the option.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
God, you guys really love your old slow as molasses players don't you?

No, keep Jagr off the team. So tired of this gotta have older vets on the team mentality from this fan base.

Let the kids play, it is a throw away year for ****'s sake.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
except he actually provides intangibles. marketing is def a huge factor, and a reason i could still see him as an option. if its such a throwaway year, why wouldn't his mentorship be useful? he has plenty of valid advice, considering he's been in the league since way before these kids were born. if you wanna let the kids play, then have them beat him out. though it's not like we have a surplus of RWs to compete for the spots, do we?

the guy put up 46 points last year, and played a full season. that was good enough for 4th on his team, and would have been 3rd on our team. you don't say no to a hockey freak like him, he's not just "some old guy". can you actually say you've seen him play and find him ineffective? because the stats don't reflect that at all.

also, you gotta watch your tone dude, you come off as quite aggressive

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

No, keep Jagr off the team. So tired of this gotta have older vets on the team mentality from this fan base.

You can't have a team full of rookies. The kids don't learn properly by playing in roles they're not ready for. Just look at how brutal the Oilers were when they had 2/3 of their teams as rookies or one year players.

Jagr would be a one year stopgap, nothing more. There's absolutely no downfall if we do sign Jagr, zero. Having Jagr mentor Zacha, like he did with Huberdeau, would be beneficial by itself.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

He's better than every RW on this team not named Palmieri.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
inb4 Bleed pointing out that Jagr is too good at puck possession for Hynes to play him

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
btw this is not everyone piling on one person (though it sort of is)

i'd legitimately like to hear an argument from taxman about the negatives, despite the statements made FOR acquiring him so far

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Well, MY arguments against are just what Taxman said: he's slow. I'm not sure how well he fits into what Shero wants to build, and the "team identity". He's also got a strong very strong personality that Shero/Hynes may not want on the team. I don't think he's a perfect fit, but if Speers and/or Quenneville don't work out on RW, I'd take him, especially if we end up trading a LW for defensive help and Johansson moves back to the left side.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Jagr is a great guy and would be a great help with the kids. That said, he will never be on this team just due to the fact of what kind of players we have been leaning towards for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad