Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Have we heard anything really from Rykov since he was drafted. I can't recall seeing or hearing anything from him about being drafted by the Devils and what his plans are.

Do we know if he's even interested in coming to the NHL?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/hockey-prospect-radio-february-24th-1.682355

From Feb 24th -- Paul Castron starts talking about him around 01:26:10

And Castron says "one of the things we're working with him is you know for the NHL..." at around 01:28:00 and paraphrasing later on he says that Rykov might not come over a couple years but when he does it might be directly to the NHL instead of playing in the AHL. He also mentions the ages 22-23 for guys coming over from European leagues

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, I'd much rather lock Severson up now. The Klefbom mention was a good one; I'd take that in a second.

Would Severson rather be locked up now would be my question? I dunno why but I get the feeling he's the kind of guy that would rather get to FA.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd give him the contract Shero gave Larsson 2 years ago, right now, no questions asked.

Maybe even a couple hundred thousand extra per year.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Rumors, no credible source however, that were close to signing Da Costa. If he plays rw i would be ok with that. We need to add talent up front, and it's a no risk move

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Rumors, no credible source however, that were close to signing Da Costa. If he plays rw i would be ok with that. We need to add talent up front, and it's a no risk move

Obligatory highlight reel goal video. :naughty:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
meh, I'd rather have McLeod or Speers at RW

I agree, but I'm not sure I want McLeod AND Speers at RW to start the year.

A lot of people seem convinced that Speers will make the team out of camp, I don't really see how that happens unless it's out of desperation. The guy is 20 and was way over his head at the beginning of last year. I get that he had some very nice seasons in juniors but we really shouldn't be in a rush to get this guy to the NHL.

At this point I am assuming Palmieri and Johansson start at RW, I don't really see any other place for MarJo to play. LW is a cluster **** and Nico will likely start at C. That means we're looking for bottom-6 RW spots. We've got Blandisi, JQ, Noesen, and a bunch of other guys competing for those spots as well as potential PTO's.

I would really prefer Speers start the season in Bingo. He'll be up soon enough. We've seen what happens when guys like Wood get hotshotted the the big league. Compare with JQ who had a very successful season in Albany and looks primed to be a contributor.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'm thinking Cody Franson is a must moving forward.

Andy Greene - Cody Franson
Mirco Mueller - Damon Severson
Ben Lovejoy/John Moore/Dalton Prout - Steven Santini

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm thinking Cody Franson is a must moving forward.

Andy Greene - Cody Franson
Mirco Mueller - Damon Severson
Ben Lovejoy/John Moore/Dalton Prout - Steven Santini
You're expecting Franson to push one of Lovejoy/Moore out of the lineup? That's expecting a bit much from this coaching staff. He's bad and he'd probably push Santini, it's negatives all around.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
You're expecting Franson to push one of Lovejoy/Moore out of the lineup? That's expecting a bit much from this coaching staff. He's bad and he'd probably push Santini, it's negatives all around.

The only vet I would still want us to sign at this point is Markov. Beyond that, I don't see any of the others as an upgrade over what we could throw out there. Maybe an invite to camp for someone like Stuart Percy but it is a pretty poor list of players remaining

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
not opposed to it. it'd be interesting to see what he does

he's not massive though, he's 5'11 180 according to hockeydb

my question is, is this really a rumor, or is it from one of those pucks and pitchforks articles "the devils should sign stephane da costa"

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Can't agree with that, Franson is a walking statistical anomaly. Every team he's been on has signed him for his possession stats, and all of them have run him out of town a year or to later. He's more Moore than Schlemko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad