Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I do not want Zacha centering a bunch of rookies.

Hall Zajac Palmieri
Zacha Hischier Johansson
Henrique McLeod Speers
Quenneville/Blandisi Boyle Noesen

This is the most ideal lineup. There is a veteran presence on each line and only one player is on their off wing.

Those are what I have for lines, too, except I have Wood slotted at 4LW.

4RW is a toss-up, and with the options we have, I have to say I'm pretty indifferent. I like Noesen's size and the flashes of skill he showed last year. The mentioning of Quenneville's ability to play both wings leads me to believe they might try that, so he could be there. Blandisi, too, though I personally see him more as LW/C.

I'd also be interested in a PTO for a bottom-6/bottom-line veteran RW as an insurance policy on Speers/Noesen. My choice would be Brian Gionta.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I can't wait to see the team speed. The potential of having Hall, Hischier, McLeod, and Wood on 4 different lines is quite something. And there's more speed in the pipeline.

It's very exciting. They'll be fun to watch.

What's also intriguing to me is the dynamic between our speed players and our scorers. I think players like Henrique and Palmieri, who have a knack for finding soft spots and getting to the net mouth, will benefit tremendously from the space created by their fast linemates.

It's going to be very difficult, for example, for defensemen to keep whacko-fast skaters like Hall/Hischier/McLeod/Wood in front of them, while also being positionally sound so as to not concede too much room for the other skaters. Being that we can roll four speed lines, we're bound to get some favorable matchups that'll (at the very least) create some good chances.

As far as Shero's vision for the organization, we're certainly turning a corner. It might not translate to wins and playoffs just yet, but the roster composition is shaping very nicely into what Shero wants.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think Hischier should center Henrique. It just makes sense to put a guy that can play center with him in case Hischier falters a bit. Plus, outside of Hall and Palmieri, he's the only player that is a legitimate top 6 talent.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think Hischier should center Henrique. It just makes sense to put a guy that can play center with him in case Hischier falters a bit. Plus, outside of Hall and Palmieri, he's the only player that is a legitimate top 6 talent.

Marcus Johansson is absolutely a top 6 talent.

That isn't even getting into our prospects either, which I believe some of them are.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
It's very exciting. They'll be fun to watch.

What's also intriguing to me is the dynamic between our speed players and our scorers. I think players like Henrique and Palmieri, who have a knack for finding soft spots and getting to the net mouth, will benefit tremendously from the space created by their fast linemates.

It's going to be very difficult, for example, for defensemen to keep whacko-fast skaters like Hall/Hischier/McLeod/Wood in front of them, while also being positionally sound so as to not concede too much room for the other skaters. Being that we can roll four speed lines, we're bound to get some favorable matchups that'll (at the very least) create some good chances.

As far as Shero's vision for the organization, we're certainly turning a corner. It might not translate to wins and playoffs just yet, but the roster composition is shaping very nicely into what Shero wants.

Is Hischier's speed in Hall/Wood/McLeod tier? Those three are among the fastest in the entire league. I've read Nico is a great skater as far as agility, but not elite as far as top end speed.

Camille the Eel

Marcus Johansson is absolutely a top 6 talent.

That isn't even getting into our prospects either, which I believe some of them are.

And Adam Henrique is legitimately not top 6 talent. Alas. Much as I like him he's a journeyman 20 goal guy, no knock on him, but put him on the great Devils Stanley Cup clubs of the early 2000s and he's playing 3d or 4th line at best.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
And Adam Henrique is legitimately not top 6 talent. Alas. Much as I like him he's a journeyman 20 goal guy, no knock on him, but put him on the great Devils Stanley Cup clubs of the early 2000s and he's playing 3d or 4th line at best.

Name just five NHL teams that Adam Henrique would be the 7th best forward, or worse.

Adam Henrique is absolutely top 6 talent. So is Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, and Zajac.

HOWEVER, I would absolutely love our lines to work out where Henrique is the LW on a "3rd line". Doesn't mean he isn't a top 6 player.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
A regular 20 goal scorer is (essentially) always a top-6 player. Those early-2000s teams didn't have so many regular 20 goal scorers that Henrique wasn't top-6 talent on them. Put him on the 1999-2000-2001 Devils and Henrique scores 30 goals.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zajac is the player who probably isn't 'top 6 talent' of that list, but this distinction really isn't that useful anymore - we're not in NHL94 with 3 lines, most NHL teams roll 4 lines in most situations, and most of them use more than 6 forwards on their power play.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Wonder what forwards on special teams are going to look like this year.
We have Boyle Rico and Zajac for the PK but who else? Zacha was a great PKer in the OHL and played some last year. MoJo is apparently pretty good defensively. Hischier is supposed to be good defensively but young. McLeod Quenneville and Speers as well but who knows which of them even make the team
On the PP Hall Palmieri Rico MoJo Zacha Hischier and Zajac will defienitely get time. Does Wood get the last spot or do the young guys get to battle it out for that spot?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think the PP will be interesting

Hall (front of net)
Palmieri-Zajac-Hischier
Severson

Johansson (front of net)
Wood-Henrique-Zacha
Moore

Palms and Zacha firing one timers from their off wings

Camille the Eel

A regular 20 goal scorer is (essentially) always a top-6 player. Those early-2000s teams didn't have so many regular 20 goal scorers that Henrique wasn't top-6 talent on them. Put him on the 1999-2000-2001 Devils and Henrique scores 30 goals.

Good I'll buy that and also the prior poster's statement.

Upon reflection, I was just writing out of general malaise as to Henrique. Yes the big overtime game winner against Florida. But there have been so many games the last few seasons where he just seemed to disappear. Soft turnovers of the puck. At moments lack of battle. Then I look up and he's scored 30 goals and I wonder, geez, how did he do that? A very streaky guy sometimes, finishing around the net sometimes like 5 goals in 7 games, but then you don't notice him for a week or two or three.

All this very subjective I know.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Johansson plays the 'Wood position' on the PP. I'm not sure if they will go with the umbrella they were using in the 2nd half last season or if they will go back to the 'Washington-style' setup they used the better part of the last 2 seasons. If Wood's not playing net-front I don't see what function he serves on a power play.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

Hall (front of net)
Palmieri-Zajac-Hischier
Severson

Johansson (front of net)
Wood-Henrique-Zacha
Moore

Palms got completely shut down on his off wing last year. He can shoot from there, but he can't pass. The PP was **** until they switched him and Hall on it to their natural positions.

Hall didn't play net front, either. Johansson will be on the #1 PP.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Palms got completely shut down on his off wing last year. He can shoot from there, but he can't pass. The PP was **** until they switched him and Hall on it to their natural positions.

Hall didn't play net front, either. Johansson will be on the #1 PP.

That's quite a problem to have. Palmieri is supposed to be a big threat with the one-timer. Can't be as big a threat if you take away his primary weapon

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Hall (front of net)
Palmieri-Zajac-Hischier
Severson

Johansson (front of net)
Wood-Henrique-Zacha
Moore

I like this, though I'm not sure what good Wood does if he's not positioned strictly in front of the net.

I'd rather take Wood off and throw in whichever young forward is in the lineup that night, whether it be Speers, Quenneville, McLeod etc.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Hall (front of net)
Palmieri-Zajac-Hischier
Severson

Johansson (front of net)
Wood-Henrique-Zacha
Moore

Hall should get an off-wing spot.

I'd say Johansson - Hall - Zajac - Palmieri - Severson and Henrique - Hischier - McLeod/JQ/Speers/Blandisi - Zacha - Moore. Maybe flip one kid on the second unit for someone on the first unit.

PK will probably be Henrique - Zajac and Boyle - Noesen with guys like Johansson, Palmieri, and Zacha rotating in as well. McLeod and Speers may get small looks if they make the team as well.

Camille the Eel

Hall was better last year on his natural, left side on the PP. He was shooting but also dealing some monster, no look, passes. Cross ice, back to the opposite point, across the slot (to Wood a couple times). Plus Hall likes to roam. He'll end up on the off wing or switching back to the point often enough even if he's on the left.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
As I'm heading into the 30th Street Station subway in Philly this morning, some young dude in a Devils golf polo, slacks and nice shoes walks by me with bags. Super tall and lanky as hell. Looked exactly like Mikey McLeod.

But what would he be doing in Philly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad