Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But why not just Hall with Zajac? Good cf% when they were together, really good gf%. Then add Palms to the mix, who when with Hall had a 68% gf%(and 60% with Zajac). That does look like a solid top line.

I know I've opened a Pandora's box by using GF% once, but their GF% is based on an unsustainbly high SV% and is not really indicative of how well they were playing. Hall's GF/60 while on ice was by far the lowest in his career. And Zajac is not getting younger or better.

I agree that Zacha might be a good fit with Hall.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Leave Zajac at 1C with Hall for the time being. They will take all the tough match ups. Last thing we want is Hischier or Zacha having to face off against the Bergerons Keslers etc. of the league

Agree with this but what I would like to see Hynes do is that if we need a goal heading into the 3rd period, then Hischier gets promoted to play with Hall and Palmieri.

My preferred lineup:

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri

The team's no. 1 line, should stay together for at least one more season. Hischier to eventually take Zajac's spot soon.

Zacha-Henrique-Johansson

Cammalleri was bought out to give Zacha a top 6 role. I think that 2LW is Zacha's to keep and I also think Henrique stays at center. Rico's best seasons in NJ is when he plays center and not wing. New boy MoJo slots in at RW.

Blandisi-Hischier-Quenneville(Iginla/Doan/B.Gionta/Jagr)

Hischier centers a 3rd line "kid line". Probably not ideal but I think both Blandisi and JQ have more skill than either of the 4th liners and I think Hischier needs to be playing more with skilled players rather than grinders. Also I'm not convinced with JQ as a 3RW and I wonder whether a veteran such as Iginla, Doan, Brian Gionta or even Jagr on a 1 year contract would be a better fit for this line. All 4 veterans have outstanding leadership qualities being former captains and I think Hischier would learn plenty playing with a veteran to learn about being a pro in the NHL and looking after yourself off the ice.

Wood-Boyle-Noesen

Boyle starts at 4C but it wouldn't surprise me if we often see him moving up the lineup if Hynes were to shelter Hischier. He will play big minutes at PK. I would also like to see Wood play the PK. His speed is suited to the role and could be a shorthanded goal threat. Noesen is currently the teams 12th forward but could be rotated in and out of the lineup if another signing or waiver wire pickup is done by Shero.

Others:
If we do get another RW then, I think JQ goes back to AHL and will be a first callup. Pietila and Coleman are probably call ups for the 4th line in case of injuries.

Regarding Speers, I think he needs to go back to junior and could also use some AHL seasoning. He missed most of last season with injury and no way should he be promoted straight to NHL.

Mikey McLeod will get a long look at training camp and maybe he gets 9 games but I think he goes back to junior. He is competing with Hischier for the 3rd line center spot and even if he does outplay Hischier in training camp, I think the team would rather not send Hischier to Europe for one more year and unluckily for McLeod he goes back to Mississauga to play with Bastian again and his brother. Which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Speers is done with JUniors I thought. Pretty sure he will be in Bingo if hes not on the team.

I'm also pretty sure Bastian is done in Missy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I know I've opened a Pandora's box by using GF% once, but their GF% is based on an unsustainbly high SV% and is not really indicative of how well they were playing. Hall's GF/60 while on ice was by far the lowest in his career. And Zajac is not getting younger or better.

I agree that Zacha might be a good fit with Hall.
Welp Hall's cf% is also better with Zajac then it was without. So it's more then just gf%.

An argument for Zajac centering Hall, in terms of style of play, is Zajac is a guy who does not need the puck on his stick. Most centers do.

And it was really the gf%of 43.5 where Rico-Hall failed, the cf% was not terrible at 49.6. Kind of a small sample too at 200 minutes together.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I agree. He is like the only pure RW we have and I think it is his job to lose for like the 3rd line RW.

I could even see him lining up on the first line if they want to divvy up the vet presence.

Not that he'd be our top RW, but I could see that, I could see him somewhere in the mid6, I could see him in Albany.

But I do agree they currently have him penciled in on the opening night lineup.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The team may not settle on a 2RW for the entire year. There are many options but right now none of them seem ideal. MarJo is probably the first choice with either Hischier or Zacha in a top six role probably playing with Henrique. The team may have too many young forwards to work in over the course of one season. Can the lineup absorb JQ McLeod and Nico with Wood and Zacha still quite young and having a lot to learn? Blandisi is still lurking as well. Lots of promise and just as many questions for now. The defense is just as unsettled on the left side where four guys from a beer league a retired brewer and a seven year old girl from figure skating class all appear to have a chance in training camp.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This makes no sense though, since we really don't have any "kids" that wouldn't have played with Shattenkirk here. I highly doubt they wouldve sent Santini down.

Like I said shatenkirk here helps win maybe 4-5 extra games and for what good will that do? You add a player like shatenkirk when you need those 4-5 extra wins to put you over the top. Not bring you from 3rd worst to 7th worse.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Like I said shatenkirk here helps win maybe 4-5 extra games and for what good will that do? You add a player like shatenkirk when you need those 4-5 extra wins to put you over the top. Not bring you from 3rd worst to 7th worse.

Again you're missing the point. You don't get Shatty cause you want to make a 4-5 win difference in year one. You keep citing the 'it's not going to matter next year' meme as if it's a one-year contract. You get him cause you hope to be ready where the 4-5 win difference matters in years 2-4.

It's moot anyway cause he obviously wasn't coming here. Which is why you need to add players when you can, you can't count on FA's coming here even if they have $100 million of cap space and you can't rely on the farm and trading to add everything.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Again you're missing the point. You don't get Shatty cause you want to make a 4-5 win difference in year one. You keep citing the 'it's not going to matter next year' meme as if it's a one-year contract. You get him cause you hope to be ready where the 4-5 win difference matters in years 2-4.

It's moot anyway cause he obviously wasn't coming here. Which is why you need to add players when you can, you can't count on FA's coming here even if they have $100 million of cap space and you can't rely on the farm and trading to add everything.

It's not so much about shatenkirk just using him as an example.

Go through this year take your lump with the growing process of the kids. Not every kid is going to hit and be a stud (it's great if they do). Then after the year look at what we have in development and don't have. Then and only then do you go out and make a huge commitment to player x or y.

You don't make a huge commitment to that player without knowing what we have it makes no sense.

Bringing a guy in now to see the benefits 2-3 years from now makes sense less sense imo. What if he gets hurt next year and isn't the same ever again. What if his game tails off? No way

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hall - Zajac - Speers
Henrique - Zacha - Johansson
Quenneville - Hischier - Palmieri
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Might as well throw all the names into a blender, anything is posible.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Hall - Zajac - Speers
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

That would be a plausible lineup, though it means McLeod is back to the CHL. What do you think about McLeod's changes to break into the NHL, Jason?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
That would be a plausible lineup, though it means McLeod is back to the CHL. What do you think about McLeod's changes to break into the NHL, Jason?

He's gotta at least get a look out of camp no? No harm in giving him 8 games to start the year if he's eligible for that before deciding.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hall - Zajac - Speers
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Ya man. I mean, Hall is top line LW for sure, after that? There is not a definite amongst the other 11. Boyle maybe as #4 C?
I think McLeod makes the team. I'd personally much rather have McLeod in NJ and Speers and or Q in Albany, then either or both of the latter in NJ while McLeod is in Juniors. Another developmental year in juniors for McLeod is entering the realm of diminishing returns.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think there is a very good chance, especially given how much Hynes was blinded by Wood's speed and work ethic. McLeod is probably a better smarter version of Wood.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The "letting the kids develop" lineup.

Hall-Zajac-Palms
Zacha-Nico-Mojo
Blender-Rico-vet PTO
Wood-Boyle-Noesen

None of Q, Speers or McLeod make NJ out of camp.

Still a pretty young team.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya man. I mean, Hall is top line LW for sure, after that? There is not a definite amongst the other 11. Boyle maybe as #4 C?

I think McLeod makes the team. I'd personally much rather have McLeod in NJ and Speers and or Q in Albany, then either or both of the latter in NJ while McLeod is in Juniors. Another developmental year in juniors for McLeod is entering the realm of diminishing returns.

Hall is your 1LW, Zajac is your 1C, and Palms is your 1RW. Boyle is locked in at 4C.

Rest is up for debate.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I wouldn't mind if McLeod spends another year in the CHL. He'd be on a pretty stacked team and would have a golden opportunity to play a key role for team Canada at the WJC.

If he's up here, fine but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he weren't.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hall is your 1LW, Zajac is your 1C, and Palms is your 1RW. Boyle is locked in at 4C.

Rest is up for debate.

Zajac starts the season as our best, most dependable C, and Palms our best most dependable RW.

But what if you want to break up the veteran presence? Maybe Zacha centers Hall and Palms? Maybe Speers or McLeod is on the RW with Hall and Zajac.

I agree Hall Zajac and Palms makes the most sense as a top line in and of itself, but when considered with the rest of the lineup? I can see a couple arguments for going in other directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad