Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So they missed all the talent we have drafted since he came here or getting guys like Hall, Palms, and Mojo?

We lost the Hall and Palmieri traded tho. The Oilers and Ducks made the playoffs and we didn't.

You know we'll be losing the Mojo trade when Washington makes the playoffs and we don't.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
We lost the Hall and Palmieri traded tho. The Oilers and Ducks made the playoffs and we didn't.

You know we'll be losing the Mojo trade when Washington makes the playoffs and we don't.

It's not a loss if even if it's not immediate impact. The picks we gave to Anaheim probably wont help them in the long run, and hall helps us arguably more than Larsson helps the oilers. Winning trades is relative and needs to be viewed in hindsight. I don't see how you can say we lost those when the intent in acquiring those pieces wasn't supposed to be an instant magical playoff solution

Their logic is so grossly illogical

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
It's not a loss if even if it's not immediate impact. The picks we gave to Anaheim probably wont help them in the long run, and hall helps us arguably more than Larsson helps the oilers. Winning trades is relative and needs to be viewed in hindsight. I don't see how you can say we lost those when the intent in acquiring those pieces wasn't supposed to be an instant magical playoff solution

Their logic is so grossly illogical
I think he was being sarcastic!

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
is there ever any accountability for these people?
talk radio dudes can speak falsehoods with impunity....is there not any way to call them out?
Its not like we don't have indisputable facts to prove them wrong...specifically in Merrill's case.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The sooner you realize that all sports talk radio is pointless, worthless, and just bloviating old angry fat men who do nothing but make other bloviating old angry fat men drool all over themselves, the happier you'll be to never listen to them or care what they say. I promise you this.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With Markov to the KHL...what the hell do we do with this defense?

Hope Cory returns to pre-2016-2017 Cory Schneider. I think he will.

That would at least make the defense look somewhat respectable by keeping our goals against down. Also gotta hope that Hynes has an epiphany and realizes Lovejoy isn't a first pairing defenseman and hope that Lovejoy plays decent as a middle/bottom pairing guy. If it's a throwaway year, **** giving Lovejoy more ice time than any of Severson, Santini and Mueller.

The market for defense right now seems to be a little much. As evidenced by us sending a 2nd round pick for an unknown Mirco Mueller, while we got a proven forward for peanuts the very next week. Still think the Hall/Larsson trade had a hand in that. When you see that you need to give up Taylor Hall just to get Adam Larsson, the markets get a little whacky.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hope Cory returns to pre-2016-2017 Cory Schneider. I think he will.

That would at least make the defense look somewhat respectable by keeping our goals against down. Also gotta hope that Hynes has an epiphany and realizes Lovejoy isn't a first pairing defenseman and hope that Lovejoy plays decent as a middle/bottom pairing guy. If it's a throwaway year, **** giving Lovejoy more ice time than any of Severson, Santini and Mueller.

The market for defense right now seems to be a little much. As evidenced by us sending a 2nd round pick for an unknown Mirco Mueller, while we got a proven forward for peanuts the very next week. Still think the Hall/Larsson trade had a hand in that. When you see that you need to give up Taylor Hall just to get Adam Larsson, the markets get a little whacky.

Lovely was paid to be a 3rd pairing defender. We will be fine as long as his usage reflects that. Personally I think Santini will force his way up the ladder and push Lovejoy down

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We hope we finish in dead last and have the best odds for Rasmus Dahlin.

Or compete for a playoff spot and find the 2018 equivalent of Erik Karlsson / John Carlson later in the first round. Early forecast has like 10 D in the top 20, so hopefully it's a strong year for blueliners.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Or compete for a playoff spot and find the 2018 equivalent of Erik Karlsson / John Carlson later in the first round. Early forecast has like 10 D in the top 20, so hopefully it's a strong year for blueliners.

Maybe we can get the other Boqvist and revive the old Devils tradition of "keeping it in the family". Isn't McLeod's brother draft eligible next year too?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Maybe we can get the other Boqvist and revive the old Devils tradition of "keeping it in the family". Isn't McLeod's brother draft eligible next year too?

It seems like his brother could be good, but he is a righty and there are a lot of other good LD on the table.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We hope we finish in dead last and have the best odds for Rasmus Dahlin.

And then get bumped down to third when the 10th worst team wins the lottery.

You would think after last year when the lottery was a complete gong show (which happened to go in our favor) people wouldn't think losing is going to solve everything.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We've got the draft lottery lucky charm though.:P

Losing won't solve everything, but having another top 5-10 pick in a draft that is looking good for defensemen wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. I'm hoping that now the forward situation is starting to look better Shero can focus more on the defense moving forward. Although finding top 4 defensemen is more difficult than finding top 6 forwards, so it might be easier said than done.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Master Plan has to include one more rebuilding season to be in position to draft one of the workhorse defensemen.

snwbdgislife

Sep 14, 2016
On the NHL Radio GM report cards, Boomer Gordon usually does these with Scott Laughlin and they are typically pretty good. This year he was with two other people, one of whom clearly mixed up Merrill with Moore. But as it relates to Boomer (the only one whose opinion I'd care about if I cared what radio personalities say), he did say that Shero inherited an absolute mess with an ancient team and he was still mid process so it wasn't really fair to judge. That's why he said he hedged by giving a C (he grades tough and tends to favor teams that draft and develop). He gave Shero credit for lots of draft picks. They like MoJo, mentioned the F starting to come together and hit Shero on NJ needing D, which we all know. But that is a fair point and they felt that NJ probably has the 31st rated D. And they called out NJ not drafting D last year or this year which is fair though I'd think Boomer would also argue that a team with so many needs should generally pick BPA. But Shero does need to show he can get D to get the team back on the map and shut up the critics. FWIW there were teams with better records whose GM got worse grades (from Boomer). I love what Shero is doing and think it flies under the radar a bit but how good a grade could he get given the team's record and the current D lineup? He'll get his props in a couple of years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah that GM grade is garbage.

Also seriously with Markov? Him going back to the KHL isn't the decision that somehow decides the fate of our entire season.

You guys are ridiculous sometimes.

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017
And then get bumped down to third when the 10th worst team wins the lottery.

You would think after last year when the lottery was a complete gong show (which happened to go in our favor) people wouldn't think losing is going to solve everything.

Exactly.

As unlikely as it was for us to win this years draft lottery..its going to be 100 times more unlikely for us to win it again next year no matter where we finish.

In fact Id be willing to bet that even if we finished bottom 3, we wont be picking 1st-3rd.

And as much as Dahlin looks to be at worst the 2nd overall pick next year. Rankings could change (look at Nico). Team needs dictate it as well.

Currently, there are 4 Dman slated to go in the top 10 picks in most mocks. Any of em would be a nice get for us if we arent a playoff team next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad