Post-Game Talk: Devil VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I refuse to believe that there won't be a market for a 90 point player, no matter how much money he makes and how ass he is in crunch time.

All it takes is one GM.
And one Artemi Panarin to want to go there c’mon man!!!!!

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Guys, Matthews is not leaving Toronto. They’ll do literally whatever it takes to keep him.

Can we identify any realistic targets?

There’s the same chance of that happening as us winning this series.
Why not? American kid. Players dont exactly love toronto. He wants to get state side. NY is one of his preferred destinations i have it on good record

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Guys, Matthews is not leaving Toronto. They’ll do literally whatever it takes to keep him.

Can we identify any realistic targets?

There’s the same chance of that happening as us winning this series.
No to Matthews. I don't want to go the superstar marquee name route anymore. Give me a slightly more skilled and faster rendition of the Black and Blueshirts. I love what Seattle is doing with a bunch of nobodies as @Machinehead would say

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I'd even move Mika.
Nah, Mika plays heavy minutes, all situations, and was very very good last playoffs after finally getting going late in PIT series.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his PP/PK minutes and last years playoff performance. Reconvene and talk next year if he's once again a dud.

Panarin had 16 points in 20 games last year, which is just not good enough for a guy making 11.6 million. He also was catastrophic in both the 2020 bubble against Carolina and even worse this year. He's an 82 game plsyer, not a 16 win player as I like to say. You cannot pay those types the money he's getting, or have then being relied on as a top guy

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You would either have to hold the money or do trades, free agency is a joke this summer in terms of talent.
Yeah, there's not much appealing to me this year even if I felt we were a piece or two away. Hold onto it.

I'm not saying rebuild, or retool, or re-anything. This team probably makes the playoffs.

But I think we need to find an identity, figure out what that's going to be, and start building the
roster towards that.

We kinda skipped that part of the rebuild when you think about it.

I don't think Gallant is entirely wrong when he says it's just a collection of players. He shouldn't bring it up because he's done absolutely f***ing nothing to set any kind of identity, and hey Gerard, you're the coach, but it's still true.

I've said it before - the horses we have now aren't fast and we might end up building around being heavy. Slow teams can succeed in this league. We don't play slow. We have a lot of players that wanna fling the puck around and we don't have the guys to go and get the puck, and it's not reigned in.

If we built a system and a mentality around Kakko having the puck for two minutes and doing nothing, maybe it would turn into something.

I'm not going into the offseason looking to win the Cup. I'm going into the offseason looking to take steps towards sustainable hockey, being coherent, and actually being good beyond goaltending and special teams.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
You guys would really stand Trouba up over Miller in today's NHL??

fr1Ztuh.jpg

ISN9rh4.jpg

This fanbase continues to get everything it deserves, year after year.
I have zero clue what these mean when people post them besides x and y axis

Reactions: Nickmo82

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
No to Matthews. I don't want to go the superstar marquee name route anymore. Give me a slightly more skilled and faster rendition of the Black and Blueshirts. I love what Seattle is doing with a bunch of nobodies as @Machinehead would say
At the end of the day you need elite talent to win Cups. Seattle may go on a nice little WCF run but they're not winning the whole thing.

Matthews is a horse. Short of McDavid pulling a Lindros to come here, he goes top 5 in a league wide redraft considering age, body of work and ability. I only take McDavid, Bedard, Makar, and MacKinnon over him.

Reactions: will1066

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If Florida is interested he would go there.

They were a contender when he was a UFA. He has a house down there. Nice weather, beaches, he can drive the f*** out of his Ferarri and hang with Bob.
What would a realistic deal be though. Wed have to take salary back and what would they be willing to give us? Reinhart?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
You mean ultimately failing to win the Cup?

You still need star players.

See above. Matthews is a horse. I saw from a mile away/knew as soon as the deal was signed that the Rangers would regret Panarin's contract by year 5, and here we are. I don't get that same sense from Matthews.
I am announcing my tag team partnership with @mas0764

We gonna build this from within

Can you dig it?

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah, there’s a time and a place for it tho. When he’s evading forecheckers and has puck support so there’s open guys streaking it works. Fox is good at it and mire often than not his hesitation plays work in the offensive zone and defensive zone, this was just a whole different type of situation that he entirely caused himself.

This situation it was never going to work because he put himself in his back foot and on the defensive. He wasn’t hesitating to carve through forecheckers pressing, he slowly meandered back and put himself in a position where he was flat footed and had no outlets. He should’ve just slammed it hard around behind the net to just avoid the dangerous situation he had created. It was an all risk for no reward play from the get go and he entirely caused it himself. He wasn’t being pressured the entire time he had a few solid seconds of time and space that he forfeited by slowly meandering back into his own zone the way he does on a PP like that but when nobody is coming, of all players I did not expect Fox on the PP of all players to make that mistake in that situation. It was just such a stupid play from the smartest player on the team.

I agree whole heartedly, but these unforced errors happen more often than we like with Fox. He needs to make faster decisions. Change his tempo. He can't throw the curve ball all game and expect the opposition to stay surprised.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Nah, Mika plays heavy minutes, all situations, and was very very good last playoffs after finally getting going late in PIT series.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his PP/PK minutes and last years playoff performance. Reconvene and talk next year if he's once again a dud.

Panarin had 16 points in 20 games last year, which is just not good enough for a guy making 11.6 million. He also was catastrophic in both the 2020 bubble against Carolina and even worse this year. He's an 82 game plsyer, not a 16 win player as I like to say. You cannot pay those types the money he's getting, or have then being relied on as a top guy
In addition here is my list:

SHOULDN'T trade:
Lindgren
Laf
Kakko

SHOULD trade, but likely won't be able to:
Panarin (NMC)
Trocheck (he's a fine 3C, but overpaid for that role, NMC)

COULD/SHOULD trade but likely won't:
Goodrow (Drury signed him as his first contract, doubt he dumps him before exhausting all Panarin/bridging young players options)

NOT being traded:
Shesterkin
Fox
Mika
Kreider
Trouba
Chytil
Miller
Schneider
Vesey

It's hard to see how this roster changes much aside from a coacing/style change, which I don't even think is the main problem, just the easiest thing to change with NMC status.

Panarin is the change that should happen, would significantly open cap space to make additions and "fix" other problems.

Reactions: skipmowerman

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
You guys would really stand Trouba up over Miller in today's NHL??

fr1Ztuh.jpg

ISN9rh4.jpg

This fanbase continues to get everything it deserves, year after year.
Where exactly did I make any statement "standing up" Trouba over Miller?

I said Trouba should play with Jones, a puck mover, which would reduce Troubas minutes playing with a rookie. Also, Jones would likely take his PP time. Miller and Schneider as 2nd pair, Fox/Lindgren return as 1st pair.

Literally never said anything bad about Miller, just that hes not as much a natural puck mover as Jones. Miller is a skating defesneman.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Panarin going nowhere, get a Torts-like coach and you have a game breaking talent there. Gallant is the worst coach for him. His contract is also so big that anything you’ll get for him won’t bring 1/10th the talent back. And do you really trust this organization to spend that money any more wisely? We traded Buchnevich for cap space to use more money than he signed for on *checks notes* Nemeth, Reaves, Goodrow & Blais.

Trade Trouba.

Trade one of Mika or Kreider, break up that bromance to shake up the room.

Trade Goodrow.

Trade Laffenstock.

Bring back The Chosen One.

Add a fast dman to replace Trouba.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Yeah, there's not much appealing to me this year even if I felt we were a piece or two away. Hold onto it.

I'm not saying rebuild, or retool, or re-anything. This team probably makes the playoffs.

But I think we need to find an identity, figure out what that's going to be, and start building the
roster towards that.

We kinda skipped that part of the rebuild when you think about it.

I don't think Gallant is entirely wrong when he says it's just a collection of players. He shouldn't bring it up because he's done absolutely f***ing nothing to set any kind of identity, and hey Gerard, you're the coach, but it's still true.

I've said it before - the horses we have now aren't fast and we might end up building around being heavy. Slow teams can succeed in this league. We don't play slow. We have a lot of players that wanna fling the puck around and we don't have the guys to go and get the puck, and it's not reigned in.

If we built a system and a mentality around Kakko having the puck for two minutes and doing nothing, maybe it would turn into something.

I'm not going into the offseason looking to win the Cup. I'm going into the offseason looking to take steps towards sustainable hockey, being coherent, and actually being good beyond goaltending and special teams.

This team with or without the trades would have been the three seed. The only reason they went in a tailspin is because they were playing short handed. No clue if they lose in 7 games or faster, but this trade deadline was useless.

Every person said Kane was immobile, and they went out of their way to still trade for him. We also got to older Tarasenko, who was fine, but again, a just nothing trade.

I’m indifferent on Gallant, I agree with you that every NHL coach is basically the same guy. I don’t know why Chris Drury should get to continue at his job, but he Little fingered his way into the job, I can’t imagine he is taking any blame.

That’s a lot of words to say I have no clue what the solution is.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Panarin going nowhere, get a Torts-like coach and you have a game breaking talent there. Gallant is the worst coach for him. His contract is also so big that anything you’ll get for him won’t bring 1/10th the talent back. And do you really trust this organization to spend that money any more wisely? We traded Buchnevich for cap space to use more money than he signed for on *checks notes* Nemeth, Reaves, Goodrow & Blais.

Trade Trouba.

Trade one of Mika or Kreider, break up that bromance to shake up the room.

Trade Goodrow.

Trade Laffenstock.

Bring back The Chosen One.

Add a fast dman to replace Trouba.
Panarin is uncoachable at this point. He would tune out a disciplinarian

Last edited:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This team with or without the trades would have been the three seed. The only reason they went in a tailspin is because they were playing short handed. No clue if they lose in 7 games or faster, but this trade deadline was useless.

Every person said Kane was immobile, and they went out of their way to still trade for him. We also got to older Tarasenko, who was fine, but again, a just nothing trade.

I’m indifferent on Gallant, I agree with you that every NHL coach is basically the same guy. I don’t know why Chris Drury should get to continue at his job, but he Little fingered his way into the job, I can’t imagine he is taking any blame.

That’s a lot of words to say I have no clue what the solution is.
I kind of got those trades (even though I was skeptical it would work) because I think Drury saw we need a little skill (which we did - Goodrow playing too many minutes) and we needed offense, which we sure as f*** did.

So I don't know, maybe he kind of sees it.

As we found out, and as I already knew, the trouble with offense is more nuanced than just having good players. We don't have the right players and we don't have an offensive scheme.

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
Look at the Stanley Cup winners over the last 20 Years. Now look at their No1 centers. You won’t find a lot of soft and meek Euros on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad