Post-Game Talk: Devil VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So if they fire Gallant who are the potential coaches out there that could come in and change the system?

This could be very similar to the 2013 off-season when we fired Torts and brought in AV who inherited basically the same exact roster and had them playing a totally different style.

That was also coming off a similar playoff pattern. 2012 lost in ECF then a step back in 2013 we lost in round 2 after we were oilutclassed by Boston and it was obvious a strategic change was needed. And firing Torts there was actually a bold move by Sather, credit where it’s due, because I feel like most front offices keep the coach who got them 3 series wins the last two years.

But they pulled the trigger and this situation is eerily similar to that. ECF last season and a step back this season with a round one loss where we were outclassed and it’s apparent a strategic change is needed. Both teams had veteran talent that they were basically locked in to because of the cap. It’s an extremely similar situation.
I can get on board with this if Drury can repeat the Gaborik trade with Panarin. Acquire a good but not great top 6 forward, a buzzsaw 4th liner that can PK, skate, and retrieve pucks really well, and a bottom pairing defenseman that moves the puck well and you might be onto something. If Drury does that this summer and brings in a new coach and nothing else and the Rangers get a 100% healthy Kane LTIR'ed until March with a new hip, you can give me some hope that this team can run it back. Just will need to avoid Jersey and Toronto in the first two rounds somehow.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I have plenty of thoughts on what went wrong but there’s 5 months ahead to beat those issues to death.

Just want to say I wish all of you a quick recovery from this season. It was a tough end to a really frustrating year. There are lots of questions ahead and plenty to consider in hindsight. But for now, I wish you all limited grief.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
AM34 isn't enough talent for you?

or it's too much taleent for you?
I can already see it now, he’ll be talked about like Vegan DJ Mika and ridiculed for being country club boy too preoccupied with hanging out with Justin Bieber and wanting to be a celebrity and not dedicated enough to hockey lol

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Coaching is volatile in every sport, but most sports have a decent number of guys who are either legit the smartest guy in the room, or able to get their team playing like their life depends on it. And a few who do both.

I know hockey has a comparatively smaller base to pull from, but there's gotta be more guys out there who can do either, if not both.

Reactions: CLW

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Yup...it's crazy how many people would rather blame Lafreniere, the forward still on his ELC, and Kakko, who get little PP time and had 75% of our Ozone possesion this series, over the 11.6 Casper the ghost impersonator Panarin and the rest of our top 6.

Players like Hughes progress so quickly because they get the immediate ice time and are thrown to the wolves as the go to guys on shitty teams. Laf and Kakko didn't have that luxury, they will take longer to get there, but they will slowly make progress.

This loss lays solely at the feet of our Fat Cats, who didn't come to eat.

Rangers are kinda in a weird limbo stage where the vets aren't good enough to get the job done (minus a couple dudes), but the kids aren't good enough to pass the torch to.

I think part of the reason for not wanting to give them immediate ice-time was to shield them a bit from the pressure that comes with playing in NY. That pressure isn't there in these smaller markets. By doing so, the plan by default was sort of to bring them along slowly. But I think the hope was they'd gradually force their way to have more pressure put on their shoulders. By and large, imo that has not happened. We suck at player development.

The roster also just isn't good enough and has holes. That's a more general issue outside of the vets vs kids debate.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You know what it was?

SIGNING f***ING ARTEMI PANARIN BEFORE ANYONE KNEW WHAT THE f*** THEY HAD. It angers me to no end because I KNEW this would happen. I wasn't alone in it, but it was clear as f***ing day that he would be a dud by the time this team was ready to do anything. The 2018-19 team was miserable but they should have let it get worse instead of hitching their wheel to the wagon of this f*** shit.

Worse than that, you've basically allowed the guy to play GM and head coach. They assembled his best friend squad this year, they allowed him to hand pick his line mates before. He's literally the only player in the top 6 who hasn't been benched/scratched/demoted. Now that hes shat his pants, again, it better spell the end for him here. Dude is the poison pill of all poison pills and arguably the worst UFA contract that this franchise has handed out when you consider where they were as a team when he was signed.

Even a move like Trouba (which was well intentioned and at least he was young-ish when they got him) probably doesn't happen if they waited a year and found out what they had in Fox.

Kreider (and god bless him, hes actually over delivered on his contract) should have probably been moved as well. Guarantee that they don't bring him back if they knew they were landing the 1 OA in the draft and while you can't exactly plan for that, they should have made more of an effort to work the young guy in (this applies even more so to Kakko, who was completely bungled by Quinn.)

Speaking of Quinn, he was an asshat of the highest regard (for many reasons) and one of the worst coaches we could have had when we had him, but he was only so bad because he had to placate all of these veterans that the organization either brought in or decided not to move.

Long story short - Move Panarin and the healing process can start. It's not as dire as some think it is but it has to start with getting him the f*** out of here. Much better ways to use those dollars and if we have to start over again then so be it.
Panarin's done. Bringing in his friends was Drury's way of saying "ok, this is your last chance". He face planted and he bought his ticket out of town for it.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
If they do clear Panarin's space (or Trouba's for the love of God - not enough talk about that!) I wouldn't be in a rush to spend it.

See who earns it.

Strike in free agency if/when this group of players shows you something at 5v5.

You would either have to hold the money or do trades, free agency is a joke this summer in terms of talent.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
You know what it was?

SIGNING f***ING ARTEMI PANARIN BEFORE ANYONE KNEW WHAT THE f*** THEY HAD. It angers me to no end because I KNEW this would happen. I wasn't alone in it, but it was clear as f***ing day that he would be a dud by the time this team was ready to do anything. The 2018-19 team was miserable but they should have let it get worse instead of hitching their wheel to the wagon of this f*** shit.

Worse than that, you've basically allowed the guy to play GM and head coach. They assembled his best friend squad this year, they allowed him to hand pick his line mates before. He's literally the only player in the top 6 who hasn't been benched/scratched/demoted. Now that hes shat his pants, again, it better spell the end for him here. Dude is the poison pill of all poison pills and arguably the worst UFA contract that this franchise has handed out when you consider where they were as a team when he was signed.

Even a move like Trouba (which was well intentioned and at least he was young-ish when they got him) probably doesn't happen if they waited a year and found out what they had in Fox.

Kreider (and god bless him, hes actually over delivered on his contract) should have probably been moved as well. Guarantee that they don't bring him back if they knew they were landing the 1 OA in the draft and while you can't exactly plan for that, they should have made more of an effort to work the young guy in (this applies even more so to Kakko, who was completely bungled by Quinn.)

Speaking of Quinn, he was an asshat of the highest regard (for many reasons) and one of the worst coaches we could have had when we had him, but he was only so bad because he had to placate all of these veterans that the organization either brought in or decided not to move.

Long story short - Move Panarin and the healing process can start. It's not as dire as some think it is but it has to start with getting him the f*** out of here. Much better ways to use those dollars and if we have to start over again then so be it.
Oh my god. I think we just became best friends.

The get rid of Panarin, the Trouba and Kreider appreciation but realism, the Quinn hate.

I could not have said this better myself.

Totally agree: we waste 3 more years of a team that is likely good enough at the core but needs some reshaping and refining by keeping Panarin and his cotnract, or find a way to get him the hell out of here now and maybe salvage this Cup window that is open - but closing with every season Artemi is a Ranger

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Personally, I thought Trouba was fine, and despite his 8 million contract being unfortunate, him, Schneider, Shetserkin and Kreider looked like the only guys who gave a shit for the entire series.

Trouba should play with Jones next year, give him a natural puck mover, Miller isn't that. Miller and Schneider, neither are great puck movers, but both had good foot speed. Fox and Lindgren run it back.

Kane, Tarasenko and Kreider were the only impressive forwards all/at any part of series. Mika was good last playoffs, willing to give benefit of doubt. Panarin a heaping pile of garbage.
I was pleasantly surprised with Schneider after being on his ass at season's end

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't know.

I kinda just wanna let things fall into place a bit more before me make another big splash.

I'll agree with @GoAwayPanarin that the timing on signing Panarin was whack.

If we sign Matthews and it turns out this core just sucks, we're f***ed again.
I build the new core around him.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Bigger issue is this is nothing new with Fox. Good defenders/coaches know to just bullrush him and ignore his feints. Fox has yet to adjust to this tactic. It is a guaranteed turn over when defenders just play the body on him.
Yeah, there’s a time and a place for it tho. When he’s evading forecheckers and has puck support so there’s open guys streaking it works. Fox is good at it and mire often than not his hesitation plays work in the offensive zone and defensive zone, this was just a whole different type of situation that he entirely caused himself.

This situation it was never going to work because he put himself in his back foot and on the defensive. He wasn’t hesitating to carve through forecheckers pressing, he slowly meandered back and put himself in a position where he was flat footed and had no outlets. He should’ve just slammed it hard around behind the net to just avoid the dangerous situation he had created. It was an all risk for no reward play from the get go and he entirely caused it himself. He wasn’t being pressured the entire time he had a few solid seconds of time and space that he forfeited by slowly meandering back into his own zone the way he does on a PP like that but when nobody is coming, of all players I did not expect Fox on the PP of all players to make that mistake in that situation. It was just such a stupid play from the smartest player on the team.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Panarin's done. Bringing in his friends was Drury's way of saying "ok, this is your last chance". He face planted and he bought his ticket out of town for it.
He has an nmc. Hes not getting moved. And too bad russia isnt a realistic option these days

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Personally, I thought Trouba was fine, and despite his 8 million contract being unfortunate, him, Schneider, Shetserkin and Kreider looked like the only guys who gave a shit for the entire series.

Trouba should play with Jones next year, give him a natural puck mover, Miller isn't that. Miller and Schneider, neither are great puck movers, but both had good foot speed. Fox and Lindgren run it back.

Kane, Tarasenko and Kreider were the only impressive forwards all/at any part of series. Mika was good last playoffs, willing to give benefit of doubt. Panarin a heaping pile of garbage.

You guys would really stand Trouba up over Miller in today's NHL??

fr1Ztuh.jpg

ISN9rh4.jpg

This fanbase continues to get everything it deserves, year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad