Speculation: Detroit's Next Move

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Totally agree about Howard, Right now all teams are set with their Goaltending needs. Unless a team or two have their starting Goaltending go down with a season ending injury we're pretty much stuck with Howard. Holland pretty much stated that he's willing to do a buy out for the right reason but really doesn't want to commit to one right now. Maybe if Vegas doesn't take Howard next summer then maybe Howard in bought out next year instead.

Could have swore last time I did Howard buyout it showed he'd still have like 2.6M cap hit this year, but I guess I remembered incorrectly. Still, don't think he'd be the one to be bought out, he still has a purpose for Detroit. Honestly if they did buy someone out I think/hope it would be Ericsson. He really does nothing for them but cost them a bunch of money and block their young D.

I'm not a Wings fan so I've got no skin in this game, but I really think Howard needs to stay in Detroit this year. There's no reason to buy him out and keep that cap hit on the books for 6 years, when you could keep him to make sure Mrazek can carry the load as a #1. And I still believe that Howard would be the perfect starter for the LV team, as he has the age/experience and a contract that helps them get to the cap floor and would only have a short 2-year term. And if he doesn't get selected by LV, couldn't the Wings keep him for '17-18 and then wait and trade or buy him out in the summer of 2018 before Larkin's extension would kick in (or does the bump in the Weiss buyout cap hit ruin that idea)?

Buying out Ericsson doesn't seem smart, since that cap hit would be around for 8 years. But what about buying out Brendan Smith instead? It would give them $2M in cap space this year (but cost them $1M in cap for 17-18), and they could either call up Sproul/Ouellet or sign a UFA for $1M.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not a Wings fan so I've got no skin in this game, but I really think Howard needs to stay in Detroit this year. There's no reason to buy him out and keep that cap hit on the books for 6 years, when you could keep him to make sure Mrazek can carry the load as a #1. And I still believe that Howard would be the perfect starter for the LV team, as he has the age/experience and a contract that helps them get to the cap floor and would only have a short 2-year term. And if he doesn't get selected by LV, couldn't the Wings keep him for '17-18 and then wait and trade or buy him out in the summer of 2018 before Larkin's extension would kick in (or does the bump in the Weiss buyout cap hit ruin that idea)?

Buying out Ericsson doesn't seem smart, since that cap hit would be around for 8 years. But what about buying out Brendan Smith instead? It would give them $2M in cap space this year (but cost them $1M in cap for 17-18), and they could either call up Sproul/Ouellet or sign a UFA for $1M.

Don't think they can buy out Howard now for this season. Isn't the buyout window closed?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Brendan Smith is a good player, he's a legit top 4 D and arguably the Wings best all around defenseman. Buying out Ericsson would not be ideal cap wise but the reason would make more sense because he's terrible, he hurts the team more than he helps and contributes to guys like Ouellet and Sproul and Russo and soon Saarijarvi not getting any opportunities.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
No Detroit gets a 2nd buy out window, From Saturday to Monday because both Dekeyser and Mrazek went to arbitration the Rangers were suppose to get one to and i believe another club as well.

But neither Dekeyser or Mrazek went to arbitration, they both agreed to new contracts before the meeting, correct? So Detroit wouldn't get another buyout window

topdawg

Jan 17, 2016
Brendan Smith is a good player, he's a legit top 4 D and arguably the Wings best all around defenseman. Buying out Ericsson would not be ideal cap wise but the reason would make more sense because he's terrible, he hurts the team more than he helps and contributes to guys like Ouellet and Sproul and Russo and soon Saarijarvi not getting any opportunities.

Haha what? B. Smith is not a legit top 4 d, he isn't our best all around dman. He is too dumb to be a top 4 dman in the nhl. Love him in playoffs but thats about it. He can be traded, no need to buy him out but don't go crazy and call him a top 4 nhl dman.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
A bought out Jimmy Howard for this season would save them just shy of 4 million cap dollars. A backup is likely only going to cost a million at most. That's a net 3 million saved. I don't know where you get a 1.5 mil net from.

Over the life of the buyout it would be pretty much nullified. We would get a bit of cap space but not enough to make it worthwhile. Holland would never do it.

14.75 million remaining on the contract

9.83 million over the life of the buyout (6 years)
+
Lets say 1 mil to a backup over 6 years.
=15.83 Boom overall cost is more.
So now we gain ~2.8 mil this season, ~2.3 mil next season, and ~1.6 year 3 in cap space as well as losing out on 1.6 mil the following 3 years.

Definitely not worth it, especially with the expansion draft and as it was said Howard should EASILY ... EASILY be dealt at 50% retention if he's not picked in the x-draft.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
But neither Dekeyser or Mrazek went to arbitration, they both agreed to new contracts before the meeting, correct? So Detroit wouldn't get another buyout window

Not how it goes, I'm not talking about the arbitration hearing. DeKeyser took Detroit to arbitration and Detroit Holland took Mrazek to arbitration. The Rangers settled their 2 arbitration cases as well but were still suppose to get a 2nd buy out window and i believe another team as well. Pretty sure that any team that has 2 players that file for arbitration get a 2nd buy out window Detroit's is suppose to be from Saturday to Monday i saw.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not how it goes, I'm not talking about the arbitration hearing. DeKeyser took Detroit to arbitration and Detroit Holland took Mrazek to arbitration. The Rangers settled their 2 arbitration cases as well but were still suppose to get a 2nd buy out window and i believe another team as well. Pretty sure that any team that has 2 players that file for arbitration get a 2nd buy out window Detroit's is suppose to be from Saturday to Monday i saw.

I'm having quite the conversation about this same exact thing over on /r/detroitredwings

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Over the life of the buyout it would be pretty much nullified. We would get a bit of cap space but not enough to make it worthwhile. Holland would never do it.

14.75 million remaining on the contract

9.83 million over the life of the buyout (6 years)
+
Lets say 1 mil to a backup over 6 years.
=15.83 Boom overall cost is more.
So now we gain ~2.8 mil this season, ~2.3 mil next season, and ~1.6 year 3 in cap space as well as losing out on 1.6 mil the following 3 years.

Definitely not worth it, especially with the expansion draft and as it was said Howard should EASILY ... EASILY be dealt at 50% retention if he's not picked in the x-draft.

All buyouts under that kind of logic are nullified in one form or another. It's a matter of whether the space is needed now based on whatever reasoning you need it for. That's not really how you justify buyouts in this era. And I really doubt Howard gets taken in the expansion draft. While Howard may get dealt at 50% retention, I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think it will be. Can definitely get done but suitors will be an issue and dollars will be an issue especially at the goaltending position with someone that has a lot of question marks.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm having quite the conversation about this same exact thing over on /r/detroitredwings

Really? so how's the going on there, Maybe i'm wrong and we don't get a 2nd buy out window but from some of the Mod comments that i saw. Detroit should have a 2nd buy out window from Saturday to Monday 48 hour period. Though i would be totally shocked if Holland uses it. He says that we will be fine.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Really? so how's the going on there, Maybe i'm wrong and we don't get a 2nd buy out window but from some of the Mod comments that i saw. Detroit should have a 2nd buy out window from Saturday to Monday 48 hour period. Though i would be totally shocked if Holland uses it. He says that we will be fine.

I'm in the same position as you. I even posted articles that say it, even from other teams (Flyers) and people still don't want to believe it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
All buyouts under that kind of logic are nullified in one form or another. It's a matter of whether the space is needed now based on whatever reasoning you need it for. That's not really how you justify buyouts in this era. And I really doubt Howard gets taken in the expansion draft. While Howard may get dealt at 50% retention, I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think it will be. Can definitely get done but suitors will be an issue and dollars will be an issue especially at the goaltending position with someone that has a lot of question marks.

They don't NEED to buy him out so there is no reason to do so - it isn't like he's Stephen Weiss. Howard may be the most overpaid backup in the league but at least he can fill that role. 17-18 we'd have nearly 5 million off the cap so Howard and Weiss wouldn't be on our roster.
Why do that for marginal cap space if you can finagle around it a different way?

I don't see KH using this buyout window at all.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Trade Tatar+Nyquist for 1st rounder ,not going to happened but it will get us real rebuild start and let Mantha and AA be with the big team

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Man, they would have been in real trouble if they didn't move that Datsyuk deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad