Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Moritz Seider re-signs with the Red Wings (7 years, $8.55M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
He had less EV points than provorov did in his first 3 years.

You tried to make the claim that seider was so much better because he had higher overall point totals "without PP1 time". It was simply a false claim

Seider had LESS EV production, and his points gap was there because he had nearly 70% more time on the power play than Provorov.
Not sure why you're ignoring this past year. He didn't play PP1 all year. I get that Provorov still plays less on the PP than him, but it's a fact that he had no PP1 time this year.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not sure why you're ignoring this past year. He didn't play PP1 all year. I get that Provorov still plays less on the PP than him, but it's a fact that he had no PP1 time this year.
Because you made an incredibly disingenuous claim based on 3 years.

And Seider still was 28th in PP time last year (more than Morgan Reilly for example).

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada

And Seider still was 28th in PP time last year (more than Morgan Reilly for example).
I made 0 claims about his overall PP time. I just said he didn't play PP1 time. And I stand corrected about his rookie year, but I'm right about this past year. You're really upset on a minor detail.

I'll bet my account Seider will be 10x the player Provorov is for his entire career. If he doesn't put up at least 55 points this year with PP1 time and barring major injury, I'll come back here and roast myself.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I made 0 claims about his overall PP time. I just said he didn't play PP1 time. And I stand corrected about his rookie year, but I'm right about this past year. You're really upset on a minor detail.

I'll bet my account Seider will be 10x the player Provorov is for his entire career. If he doesn't put up at least 55 points this year with PP1 time and barring major injury, I'll come back here and roast myself.
Except he spent 2 years playing PP1. And you used all 3 years in your point totals.

It's a pretty major detail.

You tried to imply that seider was held back by a lack of PP opportunity compared to provorov. When the opposite was true.

Provorov had more EV points. Seider bridged the gap because he spent 2 years getting PP1 time when provorov didn't.

Seider got 2 years with PP1 time. He had 50 and 42 points with it. And still got 186 minutes of PP time last year.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Except he spent 2 years playing PP1. And you used all 3 years in your point totals.

It's a pretty major detail.

You tried to imply that seider was held back by a lack of PP opportunity compared to provorov. When the opposite was true.

Provorov had more EV points. Seider bridged the gap because he spent 2 years getting PP1 time when provorov didn't.

Seider got 2 years with PP1 time. He had 50 and 42 points with it. And still got 186 minutes of PP time last year.
I accepted my mistake. Why are you still going on about this?

Seider scored 42 points in his 3rd season compared to Provorov's 26. And this was without time on PP1. That's a big difference.

You also conveniently ignored that Provorov was 9th in Calder voting in his rookie season while Seider won his. These two players did not have similar starts to their careers. That's all I was saying.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I accepted my mistake. Why are you still going on about this?

Seider scored 42 points in his 3rd season compared to Provorov's 26. And this was without time on PP1. That's a big difference.

You also conveniently ignored that Provorov was 9th in Calder voting in his rookie season while Seider won his. These two players did not have similar starts to their careers. That's all I was saying.
Seider EV points year 3: 23
Provorov EV points year 3: 22

If you're gonna make points about PP opportunity, how about we take away the PPs alltogether?

I don't really care about calder voting, nor do I think provorov is better than seider.

I simply saw an absolutely ridiculous bullshit claim to pump seider's tires.

If you want to argue for Seider, there's plenty of better ways than these sad arguments.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Seider EV points year 3: 23
Provorov EV points year 3: 22

If you're gonna make points about PP opportunity, how about we take away the PPs alltogether?
Sure. Nice job ignoring the Calder point, once again. There's no purpose to this conversation any further.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sure. Nice job ignoring the Calder point, once again. There's no purpose to this conversation any further.
Why would I care about the calder point?

You made a blatantly deceitful claim. I pointed it out.

The Calder point was true (although using Calder voting as an argument for anything long term is really pointless). It doesn't change the bullshit that was the rest of your post

• Haha
Reactions: RedHawkDown

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
He's been trending worse every year since his great rookie season. Hope he can turn it around or this will be a rough contract.
Glad you're jealous of the deal!

Honestly, however you slice it... this is a fair market value contract right now and it should age quite well because Seider will get more experience and continue to improve and the cap will go up.

This is precisely the type of deal that a guy with comparables like him (Faber, Sanderson, etc.) should get. Like, as contracts go, this is about as low risk as you get. He could always get hurt, he could always stop progressing, but there is nothing in his game that suggests he's going to go into the tank. His numbers are down because he was used in less optimal offensive situations than in prior years.

Ivan Provorov part 2, Electric Boogaloo

Seider needs to have five consecutive years all at 75% of his high water mark to be Ivan Provorov part 2. As it sits, his lowest point total is higher than Provorov's highest. And Provorov was on overall much stronger teams in Philly than what Detroit has had.

I know it's trendy to be the contrarian and act smart betting on a young player stalling... but my god, man. 7x8.55 is a fair value contract today for Seider, becomes a great value when the cap goes up even if he doesn't improve and becomes a massive steal if Seider hits another gear offensively. Because Seider has always been viewed as a defensive defenseman with surprising offensive talent and not an offensive dynamo.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
These charts have just reaffirmed my thought that Detroit needed to sign a RD this offseason instead of Kane/Tarasenko.

Mo needs help. Detroit probably has the worst 2nd and 3rd pair RD in the league.
It's the fact that we dealt Hronek really rearing it's ugly head. Let's hope ASP is worth it.....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Well you’re using total minutes so we should circle back around to him averaging just under 23 minutes a game and not missing a single one since hitting the league. So yeah that helps, how many guys do that in the league?

I don’t really need to defend Seider to other fanbases, but realize some people clearly haven’t watched much of him. Usually something overused on a board where a lot of us follow hockey religiously. But, not sure how anyone could think he isn’t a very good player. Seider has broken a few of Lidstrom’s records in his early tenure. He is the best dman we have had since and I have seen every single game he has played for 3 years. If people want to believe he is bad because of some fancy stats or throw out bad comparisons like you did here go for it. More importantly Seider is better in his own end than he is in the offensive zone. So he does the first objective of his job exceptionally well.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You can tell which people haven’t actually watched Seider, or provorov for that matter

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This dgibb guy sure hates the Red Wings for some reason, in every thread that involves the Wings bashing them.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Well you’re using total minutes so we should circle back around to him averaging just under 23 minutes a game and not missing a single one since hitting the league. So yeah that helps, how many guys do that in the league?

I don’t really need to defend Seider to other fanbases, but realize some people clearly haven’t watched much of him. Usually something overused on a board where a lot of us follow hockey religiously. But, not sure how anyone could think he isn’t a very good player. Seider has broken a few of Lidstrom’s records in his early tenure. He is the best dman we have had since and I have seen every single game he has played for 3 years. If people want to believe he is bad because of some fancy stats or throw out bad comparisons like you did here go for it. More importantly Seider is better in his own end than he is in the offensive zone. So he does the first objective of his job exceptionally well.
Seider started his career as a rookie playing very tough minutes, but excelling in them.
The minutes became tougher, (among the hardest in the league), and his results declined in year two.
Now, he's playing the hardest minutes in hockey by far and honestly struggling with them.

My view is that, if you take some of the workload off of seider, his results will improve accross the board back to what he was in year 1. Still give him hard minutes, but not to the extent he is playing now.

The problem is Yzerman has done a pretty atrocious job filling out the dcore around Seider. holl, petry, maataa, chiarot, ghost have been unable to take away the tough minutes from seider, and haven't exactly taken advantage of the easier minutes they play either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad