Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Justin Holl signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $3.4M AAV)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well if he never goes to another team, the Detroit job isn't forever anyways. And may be cut short if the success isn't there. As I've stated, I don't see a cup contender. And I don't mean in 2 years. At this point, I don't see it 10 years from now.
Even if you want to give him ALL the credit for TBL, doesn't mean that happens for Detroit.
:laugh:

Master class in dumb statements.

spfan

May 4, 2009
:laugh:

Master class in dumb statements.
By disagreeing with that, that means you think Detroit 100% will win a cup within 10 years.

I'll look back at you guys when Yzerman failed to bring you a cup as GM :)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
By disagreeing with that, that means you think Detroit 100% will win a cup within 10 years.

I'll look back at you guys when Yzerman failed to bring you a cup as GM :)
Acting like you have any inkling of what team will be dominant in 2033 is all time arrogance/ignorance.

10 years ago Vegas wasn't a team.

Reactions: ZDH

spfan

May 4, 2009
Acting like you have any inkling of what team will be dominant in 2033 is all time arrogance/ignorance.

10 years ago Vegas wasn't a team.
Well the next 10 years, if Yzerman's tenure is even that long.

It's a prediction. If they get 0 cups in those 10 years or if his run is shorter, then I can look back and say I was right and you were wrong.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well the next 10 years, if Yzerman's tenure is even that long.

It's a prediction. If they get 0 cups in those 10 years or if his run is shorter, then I can look back and say I was right and you were wrong.
:laugh: welp, I guess it gives you one thing to look forward to in your life.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Stevie signin contracts today like

drawing-writing.gif

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hopefully you can get to the level too where there's more than hockey in your life going on.
idk what you're talking about, you definitely made it seem like you'd care about this meaningless hockey conversation in 10 years.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Honestly, no idea how he got this contract but he had to go.

Tampa Bay scored nearly every goal in their series with either Justin Holl on the ice or Justin Holl in the penalty box because he took the penalty leading to the goal. Justin Holl played 16 minutes a game.

You can't recover from that. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him - but if he was brought back after almost allowing every goal for an entire series - there would be booing on the first game of the season.

Hopefully he works out better than the Jake Gardiner experiment in Carolina, in my view, he's similarly bad as a defencemen...except without any of the offense (or skating) Gardiner had. You'll notice he takes almost every big hit in the d-zone because he's slow as hell and can't process the game fast enough.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I get the feeling GMs on bottom teams are like I have cap space and we will stink a bit longer SJ sure let’s overpay

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
and I thought this guy was overpaid on his old contract...
I just don't see him as a guy you can win with in your top 7, let alone top 6
Maybe we have to acknowledge we were wrong and the Leafs fans were always right.
Holl, Engvall, Bunting really are very good to great hockey players and all the other fans didn’t know shit.
Sorry, Leafs, eh.
And Dubas was magician finding and signing all these moneypuck jewels

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I don't like the deal because I don't like the player.

But people acting as if this + Compher is causing Red Wings cap hell are objectively dumber than whatever it is they believe of Yzerman's intelligence, lol.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Maybe we have to acknowledge we were wrong and the Leafs fans were always right.
Holl, Engvall, Bunting really are very good to great hockey players and all the other fans didn’t know shit.
Sorry, Leafs, eh.
And Dubas was magician finding and signing all these moneypuck jewels
Hate to break it to you, but Engvall and Holl were the teams whipping boys the last few years (along with Kerfoot). The vast majority of fans were really unhappy with these guys.

Not sure who would have told you they were great.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That’s a lot of money for a guy who just isn’t that good especially seeing some of the other deals for D that happened yesterday.
A head scratcher for sure.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
As a divisional rival, I'm enjoying seeing Detroit throw tons of money around to average, below-average, and poor players. Buyouts upcoming.

Is this a consequence of drafting poorly? They seem so desperate. Just be patient!

• Haha
Reactions: ZDH

spfan

May 4, 2009
You were talking about a cup contender, not a cup winner. Try again.
Said multiple times that the achievement would have to be winning a cup as active GM.
Something he's never done. A "cup contender" doesn't mean that much. SJ were consistently in the playoffs, but 0 cups. That's not a true success, sorry.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Said multiple times that the achievement would have to be winning a cup as active GM.
Something he's never done. A "cup contender" doesn't mean that much. SJ were consistently in the playoffs, but 0 cups. That's not a true success, sorry.
Plenty of people thought of Doug Wilson as a good GM in that time too. I never quite saw it he never seemed to get good cheap depth pieces to aide the core

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Holl, Copp, Kubalik, Maataa, Chariot, Compher, Perron, Gostisbehere...

I know they aren't actual journeymen but they all give off that energy. They are all guys no one cares about and could be had in an expansion draft without 2 shits being given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad