Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
But he's a point generating monster!!!
:laugh:
I don't think we will ever agree on polak. I don't think he is a skill player but he's a good grunt.
Next year if the Ozhiganov stories are true and Ozhiganov transitions well you may never have to endure another shift from him.
None of the stats favor Polak, the eye test doesn't favor him, and despite being a PK'er, he takes a lot of stupid penalties. IDGAF if he's a "good grunt", he's a downright liability that needs to not play on the Leafs ever again.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
None of the stats favor Polak, the eye test doesn't favor him, and despite being a PK'er, he takes a lot of stupid penalties. IDGAF if he's a "good grunt", he's a downright liability that needs to not play on the Leafs ever again.
I think a lot of bias goes into some views on him. Is he flawed? Yes. Is he a top 4? No. Is he a good bottom pairing NHL defenseman? Yes imo

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But he's a point generating monster!!!
:laugh:
I don't think we will ever agree on polak. I don't think he is a skill player but he's a good grunt.
Next year if the Ozhiganov stories are true and Ozhiganov transitions well you may never have to endure another shift from him.

Good grunts don't take penalties at that rate when there on the team for there PK ability

I see he's already taken his penalty for today, do you think he may shoot for two penalties just to change it up?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think a lot of bias goes into some views on him. Is he flawed? Yes. Is he a top 4? No. Is he a good bottom pairing NHL defenseman? Yes imo

He might be sheltered but he looks the part of a top 4, 1.75 periods into his NHL career IMO. He looks very poised and confident out there with the puck on his stick, in scrums, closing gaps. I don't think it's coming from a point of optimism but he sees and reads pressure very well, and clearly has refined that area of his game better than what we have right now (again, in this small sample size)- especially if we're comparing him to what we have right now in our bottom pairing. This opinion is subject to change with a greater sample.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He might be sheltered but he looks the part of a top 4, 1.75 periods into his NHL career IMO. He looks very poised and confident out there with the puck on his stick, in scrums, closing gaps. I don't think it's coming from a point of optimism but he sees and reads pressure very well, and clearly has refined that area of his game better than what we have right now (again, in this small sample size)- especially if we're comparing him to what we have right now in our bottom pairing. This opinion is subject to change with a greater sample.
Are you talking about Dermott?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Woops my mistake, yes I was
What gives me confidence is that he is playing the same game he's played with the Marlies, so I strongly believe it's sustainable.
I remember jumping for joy when we drafted him. I would tune into Erie games to catch mcdavid but always needed up impresses with Travis.
Time will tell but I think we have a winner here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice follow up game with a bigger role. I hope he gets a good 10+ games in so we can really see how he settles in.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sometimes players can look good because of a few inspired instances, and sometimes they can look good because they are put in a good position. I don't think that was the case with Dermott. He performed with poise and competence in pretty much every facet of the game. Very impressive.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What gives me confidence is that he is playing the same game he's played with the Marlies, so I strongly believe it's sustainable.
I remember jumping for joy when we drafted him. I would tune into Erie games to catch mcdavid but always needed up impresses with Travis.
Time will tell but I think we have a winner here

This. He wasn’t my personal choice (mostly due to the rankings of players ahead
Of him) but I do remember watching lots of Erie that year and being impressed

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He plays with composure, smarts and a bit of a snarl. Combine that with his IQ and foot speed, that can take you a long way.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
His skating ability and poise with the puck has been a massive upgrade to our blueline.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He plays with composure, smarts and a bit of a snarl. Combine that with his IQ and foot speed, that can take you a long way.
Ya I have less that zero clue about that. I just wondered because people were mentioning Gudbranson and imo polak is better than him.
Maybe polak is an good 6 or elite 7? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad