Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Not extremely tall, but built like a horse, is physical and could skate...most importantly, could think the game fast. Becoming one of our solid, young core guys.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i mean i know his warts will show soon, bjt damn he looking good enough to envision pairing him with Mo on the top pair and bringing down hainsey to help out jake or zaits.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
i mean i know his warts will show soon, bjt damn he looking good enough to envision pairing him with Mo on the top pair and bringing down hainsey to help out jake or zaits.
It's going to be a fun day here when Dermott gets sent down and Polak stays up :laugh:

Reactions: stickty111

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
One thing Leaf Management said they will not do is yoyo a young player up and down from the Marlies. Let us hope he is here to stay. It is only two games and an extremely small sample size, but he looks good out of the gate. I believe he was the #1 Defenseman on the Marlies. Voted to the AHL Allstar Game.
Borgman still has NHL potential, hopefully with the Leafs. Carrick needs to find a nice home somewhere else. Polack needs to be upgraded. And we have to be patient. Liljegren is two years away from contributing solidly. Rasanen is a wild card down the road. The top-end of this coming draft is loaded with defencemen and centers.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Dermott is a highly intelligent player who can handle the rigours of puck battles with big forwards. Exactly what the leafs need in their top four. It’s a shame he shoots left.

He’s improved every year since being drafted and most likely has 4 or 5 years of development remaining. It wouldn’t surprise me if he surpasses Rielly at some point.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
this guy can skate, hit, and shoot. hes got good iq too, i think we ve got a keeper!

gardiners days are coming to an end.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Hopefully we’ll get a chance too see him with Zaitsev back. I like the idea of reuniting Gardiner and Carrick and putting Dermott with Zaitsev. Hopefully it’ll help Gardiner regain his form and make all 3 pairs solid. The Gardiner- Zaitsev pairing has been a mess so if Dermott and Zaitsev could find some chemistry it would really help.

Reactions: Keon1963

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't necessarily believe Gardiner's days are numbered. I just feel like he can move down to be a #5 D.
Depends on the value of his next contract.
Depends on if this team pays 6 mil for JVR.
Depends on the contracts of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.
It's unlikely that all these things can be.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I don't necessarily believe Gardiner's days are numbered. I just feel like he can move down to be a #5 D.
If Dermott keeps his play up over an extended period (assuming Babcock doesn't send him down), I don't see why the Leafs would keep a $4M 3rd pairing dman that is a ticking time bomb in his own zone.

The other thing to keep in mind is Babs has been trying Dermott out on the right side with Reilly a couple of shifts. He's also played in the right side with the Marlies. Maybe trying him out for next year on the right side. Either way, He'll knock someone out of the lineup soon.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Or better yet if Babs sits Polak and gives Dermott his 60% defensive zone starts and all of a sudden every one turns on him :laugh:

Of the seven defensemen who've played 200+ minutes for the Leafs this season, Polak ranks fifth in relative ZSR (Rielly and Hainsey face tougher zone starts), and third in QoC (everyone but Borgman and Carrick have faced more difficult competition). Polak cannot use difficult deployment as an excuse for his poor results.

Reactions: Alerion

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Looks like he's never going back to the AHL. I see one of 4 possible things is going to happen here in the short term:

1. Org decides Dermott is an upgrade to Borgman as the 3rd LD behind Reilly, Gards.

In this scenario does Borgman go to the A to get minutes? Does Marincin become the press box guy?

2. Org decides Dermott is the 3rd best RD on the team behind Zaitsev, Hainsey. Polak goes to press box.

3. Both of those things (likely scenario imo).

What then? I think Babcock leaves Polak in the lineup and let Dermott play his natural side.

4. Trade.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Right now Dermott is still playing on Adrenalin and enthusiasm, once that wonder drug wears off and how he deals with adversity will be the next test.
The thing offs he is still just playing his game staying within his comfort zone.
Once he adjusts to the nhl speed he might take more chances and then things could get interesting

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
One thing Leaf Management said they will not do is yoyo a young player up and down from the Marlies. Let us hope he is here to stay. It is only two games and an extremely small sample size, but he looks good out of the gate. I believe he was the #1 Defenseman on the Marlies. Voted to the AHL Allstar Game.
Borgman still has NHL potential, hopefully with the Leafs. Carrick needs to find a nice home somewhere else. Polack needs to be upgraded. And we have to be patient. Liljegren is two years away from contributing solidly. Rasanen is a wild card down the road. The top-end of this coming draft is loaded with defencemen and centers.

Actions speak louder than words. Dermott looks like he's getting yoyo'd :laugh:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Dermott out, Carrick and Polak starting.

FML. Please Babs.... Dermott may be young but I would take my chances on a mystery box with upside over a proven plugs with lots of NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad